Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2008, 09:12 AM

1,047 posts, read 3,986,554 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthmeetsSouth View Post
Okay. Here is a picture of what I described above. Basically, for the price of a can of primer and a can of paint you can completely change the look of your kitchen (in this case it was also the price of some moldings from Home Depot as well)
Yes,Thank you! I saw this picture of yours awhile ago! I loved it and saved it in fact! That is exactly what I was thinking of!I would have it done,though,not try it myself.It looks so much better than the medium brown oak.Much more updated.Thanks,I believe I am convinced.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2008, 09:24 AM

3,021 posts, read 11,050,514 times
NorthmeetsSouth, what color are your appliances?

Old 05-02-2008, 09:25 AM

3,090 posts, read 3,963,304 times
Right - the $300 is for labor only, not including materials, and depends on the number of cabinets. If you have a large kitchen, it will be more. Material costs will also depend upon what you get. I have not previously heard of it being called glazing, but it may be different locations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.K. View Post
yes,that thread was me also!Thanks for responding twice!I just recieved an add in the mail from a company that does the resurfacing.They call it "glaze" It looked great! Do you really think the cost is only $300? Is that for all the cabinets? Seems cheap! Thanks!

Old 05-02-2008, 11:08 AM

3,763 posts, read 12,534,679 times
Look - nothing is going to make cheap cabinets from the 1950's look new. Not even paint. Though paint can make them look lighter and brighter. But she is talking about NEW-ish (less than 10 year old probably) cabinets. They have "good bones" - they just are that unfortunate OVERUSED cheap-looking light oak.

We are going to paint/glaze ours. Much like the picture the one poster put up. Its a much more updated, and actually "upscale" look than the builder's oak. Builder's oak screams "I cheaped out on the kitchen". Glaze (even if its a brown sharpie) screams "these cabinets are the latest thing!".

By the way - glazing is a specific painting technique, they use a different type of paint that takes longer to set that they can "wipe off" - highlighting specific areas of the cabinetry (shadow lines, trim, crown, etc..).

Old 05-02-2008, 11:18 AM

3,021 posts, read 11,050,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geraldzajd View Post
It's really tacky to paint cupboards. It makes the kitchen look, as my mother used to say, 'shanty Irish'. Let me tell you, you don't want to look shanty Irish. People will come into your kitchen and the first think they will think is 'shanty Irish' They will be polite and not say anything but that is what they will think.

They may even think they you are shanty Irish for painting the cupboards. That would be a really bad thing and you would want to avoid that. So don't paint the cupboards.

Jebbers the Sage
Well, I definitely don't think that when I see painted cabinets in a kitchen. That's partly because I've never heard this phrase before.

I think painted kitchen cabinets can look gorgeous as long as it's done right. I'm not fond of the refinishing technique mentioned earlier because in my opinion it makes the cabinets look like they're covered in a layer of plastic. A friend of mine had this in her kitchen and she certainly had mixed feelings about it. Personally, I'd rather not lose all of the wood grain which is why I prefer paint or glaze. But that's just me.

Old 05-02-2008, 03:50 PM

3,020 posts, read 25,717,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geraldzajd View Post
It's really tacky to paint cupboards. It makes the kitchen look, as my mother used to say, 'shanty Irish'. Let me tell you, you don't want to look shanty Irish. People will come into your kitchen and the first think they will think is 'shanty Irish' They will be polite and not say anything but that is what they will think.

They may even think they you are shanty Irish for painting the cupboards. That would be a really bad thing and you would want to avoid that. So don't paint the cupboards.

Jebbers the Sage
Gees, So right but I wasn't going to say it......

The simple fact is painted anything looks its best on the day it was painted. Every day in the future, it looks worse. Paint does not age well.

The other fact of life, certain well done natural wood finishes improve with age. They gain a type of Patina. Ok, maybe not a lot of this tacky factory produced natural finished whatever but good craftman type stained, finished wood does.

So I never will have a house with painted anything in terms of wood trim, cabinets, etc. The only thing that cures the first crappy coat, you guessed it, another second crappy coat. Until; you guessed it; it just looks like what it always was, more crap.

I got some cheap cabinets in an old road shack that I just redid, yep a nice natural finish. Well actually wound up redoing them twice to get it exactly the way I wanted. You can do so much with natural finishes. Well done, they always look better with time. Antiques in the making.

I did a lil sink by the stove in this redo of the kitchen. Something like over 50 pieces of wood in that lil pretty critter and it all was done in a method attempting to match the aged natural wide woodwork thru out the rest of the house. Just another collectors dream 100 years down the road.

If you really want to be stylish, want the "Look". Forget this crap about what is the fashion of the moment and stick with natural woods well done. Quality wood well done in its natural beauty is timeless.

I love the wide natural trim thru out the house in natural quality hardwoods. Same for the kitchen. Give me nice craftmanship and high quality wood. The more the better and forget that crap you take out of some box. Natural wood is so warm and inviting, just gets better with age, even looks better as it gets a bit beaten up.

If you want to be Shanty Irish, paint all your wood. Then spread a bit of lace about and claim you are High Fashion. Even your maid should know better.

Old 05-03-2008, 12:49 AM

10,447 posts, read 49,620,536 times
I been designing, building, selling and installing cabinets for almost 30 years. First off I will agree with NorthMeetsSouth on the color thing. White is way out of style. Realtors tell me todays fussy buyers see a white kitchen and say get me outta here. They are also looking for granite which is not my personal favorite.

Second. You can not CAN NOT paint cabinets. Well you can but I can not think of anything more ugly or tacky then painting cabinets. Especially oak. Oak is also not the most desired wood species anymore either with the complaints mostly that people dont like the grain. If you paint over oak the grain will show through the paint even if you put on a hundred coats of oil based paint. Not to mention the brush marks will show.

3rd. In almost all cases it will be more expensive to reface rather then replace. Refacing is where you choose all new doors either wood or vinyl coated. They lay large sheets of laminite over the entire face and edge route all the openings out. You can also choose new hinges and handles. Options include things like new flooring in the sink base which is always in bad shape.

One large part of my business is where many people like their counter top but want new cabinets. I have a method of installing all new base cabinets without disturbing the countertop. As far as I know no one else does this. If you can find some one who does in your area you can do all new cabinets for a reasonable price.

Lastly if you like overpaying you can buy cabinets from Home Depot or Lowes. They charge full list price. You would not pay list price when you go car shopping so why pay list for cabinets? There are many discount cabinet outlets around. You have to look. For instance a major lumber yard chain carried our cabinets and advertised 50% off list every day price. That is the magic words you are looking for. Sears sells their cabinets for 20% above list price. It boggles my mind knowing some people buy them there.

Cabinets are not cheep but they are cheaper then refacing.

Dont forget if and when you sell your house, a buyer will shun a painted kitchen faster then seeing mice running on the floor.

Good luck.

Old 05-03-2008, 07:58 AM
Status: "Apparently the worst poster on CD" (set 13 days ago)

27,603 posts, read 16,082,363 times
You name it, I've tried talkin people out of painting it and painted it. Cabinets furniture fireplaces. If you do decide to paint your cabinets, make sure and remove all the gloss along with dirt and grime, that goes without saying. Use only high quality finishes including primer. Spray them, not with a can. I dont reccomend a homeowner or a semi-pro do this job. If it were me I would stay natural and refinish them. Lots of good stains and polys out there. Use wood conditioner or spirits on softer woods before staining.

Old 05-03-2008, 08:26 AM

10,447 posts, read 49,620,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saltine View Post
You name it, I've tried talkin people out of painting it and painted it. Cabinets furniture fireplaces. If you do decide to paint your cabinets, make sure and remove all the gloss along with dirt and grime, that goes without saying. Use only high quality finishes including primer. Spray them, not with a can. I dont reccomend a homeowner or a semi-pro do this job. If it were me I would stay natural and refinish them. Lots of good stains and polys out there. Use wood conditioner or spirits on softer woods before staining.
If you insist on painting, listen to saltine. Do as he described and dont cut any corners. He is right on.

Old 05-06-2008, 07:50 AM

6,196 posts, read 5,440,314 times
I love hearing all of this on painted cabinets! Just had to add another opinion. After 35 yrs in the trade I have seen it all. Spray cans, airless sprayed, weird colors, brushed & rolled. Painted cabinets are painted cabinets. I have done more kitchens than I want to admit to. OK...as a prof. painter I try to talk my clients out of it. Once you paint you, you will have to maintain them, you have to watch food stains, even finger nail polish can scar them, you have to be careful of the cleaners and you will have to repaint. The first job may be done correctly but the next time the painter can totally mess things up. If the first isn't done properly you will have nightmares. As a female painter and keeper of my own house, I think of not only the "look", the clean up, the cost. I suggest that you look at alternatives, if you want to up date.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating