Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2020, 11:31 AM

6,471 posts, read 6,674,898 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaolin Shadowboxing View Post
looking for our first "nice" piece of furniture and i'm stuck weighing the pros and cons of each. truthfully, the main con to leather right now is that it's pretty expensive. that said, apparently good leather lasts a long time.

brands i'm consdering:
Hancock & Moore - at the very upper end of our budget
Bradington Young
Smith Brothers - dubious about leather quality
I love the Hancock & Moore leather sofa I bought a few years ago. Very comfortable, has held up beautifully. I bought it to be a "rest of my life" piece. BTW, we have had small dogs, but I've never seen any scratches on the leather.

Edited to add: google to find dealers other than your local one. I forget who I ordered from, but I saved about $3000 on our sofa by ordering from someone in the New England area instead of buying in TX where I lived at the time. That savings was even after paying for shipping.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2020, 02:11 PM

11,230 posts, read 9,315,790 times
We've had two leather sofas (Natuzzi) and a leather recliner (Ekornes) for 25 years now and no issues. Get "full grain" leather - this is the whole hide thickness. "Top grain" is shaved thin so they get multiple sheets out of one hide. There are also "reconstituted" leathers (can't remember the terms of art) which are essentially leather shavings bound together with glue and coated with plastic. You can generally tell cheap crappy leather by its shiny hard finish as opposed to quality leather which has a soft matte finish and a thick solid feel.

Old 11-27-2020, 07:13 AM

356 posts, read 371,047 times
Hancock & Moore and Bradington Young are quality brands and you will not be disappointed. They are however, Very expensive. If you don’t have pets or if your pets aren’t allowed on furniture leather shouldn’t be a necessity. A nice tweed or chenille would be a good choice and very durable. Fabric gives you so many options! I just wouldn’t do ALL leather furniture .

Old 11-27-2020, 11:19 AM

30,585 posts, read 25,150,871 times
I’ve owned both, i prefer leather. I have one chair upholstered in fabric. I’ve instructed the grands that they may not eat while sitting in that chair.

For me, a big disadvantage of leather is the limitation of color and pattern.

With upholstered furniture, I think one should buy the best quality one can afford. You will be sitting on the piece for years.

Old 11-30-2020, 10:19 AM

5,120 posts, read 16,595,896 times
I have both: leather sofa & love seat upstairs, fabric downstairs. My gray leather sofa & love seat are 17 years old. No kids here, but two small dogs. I use a leather cleaner & conditioner on them. They were about $2,500 when I bought them. They have held up very well. But they are cold in the winter. I have a lot of throws to take care of that. The fabric furniture is 5 years old. It's holding up very well, but isn't used that much.

Old 11-30-2020, 10:34 AM

2,145 posts, read 3,060,493 times
I must be the only person who sticks to leather furniture.

I disagree with the poster who says leather furniture adjusts to your body temperature quickly. That hasn’t been my experience.

Old 12-01-2020, 06:40 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,894,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reebo View Post
I must be the only person who sticks to leather furniture.

I disagree with the poster who says leather furniture adjusts to your body temperature quickly. That hasn’t been my experience.
Interesting - it's totally been my experience. If the indoor temperature is kept relatively stable, and most are, I find that leather responds very quickly to my body temperature.

I also never "stick" to my various leather sofas or chairs.

Old 12-01-2020, 09:41 AM

5,118 posts, read 3,415,867 times
Be careful about the type of leather. Our great room leather sofas were fine for the first two years but then started to get surface scratches. I'm chalking it to the dry climate, but even with regular treatment, scratches from wedding rings and laptops are frequent. Its just dh and I in this house so no rough treatment, and these were NOT cheap. I can't imagine kids or pets being near these. Also, we cant keep pillows in place on this sofa due to the slick surface, and a throw for pets would never stay put.

Our cheapest leather sofas are in the lower level and they are doing great. They are a light cream color so scratches wouldn't be that visible. I also suspect they are not all leather. My favorite sofa is a Classic Leather piece that we bought 20 years ago. It's now in the office and though it's suffered some from the move to a dry climate, it's not in bad shape at all. We have one fabric sofa that is about 12 years old, has down cushions, and is my favorite place to lounge and read. So comfy. I like having a mix.

Last edited by Gorges; 12-01-2020 at 11:00 AM..

Old 12-20-2020, 02:06 PM

5,455 posts, read 3,384,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaolin Shadowboxing View Post
looking for our first "nice" piece of furniture and i'm stuck weighing the pros and cons of each. truthfully, the main con to leather right now is that it's pretty expensive. that said, apparently good leather lasts a long time.

brands i'm consdering:
Hancock & Moore - at the very upper end of our budget
Bradington Young
Smith Brothers - dubious about leather quality

I don't like leather because it is slippery;uncomfortable in hot weather; and cold in winter. Try draping a blanket over the back or arms and it will slide off. Cushions don't stay put. Leather takes a very long time to break in, soften up and become pliable. Fabric is much easier to clean with any standard rental machine or cleaning company.

Why not just try out one armchair in leather first and see if you like it. When nobody wants to sit in it then you know.

Old 12-30-2020, 07:42 AM

8,009 posts, read 10,424,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghanimusfira View Post
If you are buying upholstery beds either in leather or fabric, you need to weigh your options. And, by options I mean the maitainance, the wear and tear of the materials, etc. While leather may look sleek, it’s expensive and requires a lot of maintenance as compared to the fabric ones.
We've had our leather couch for 15 year through kids and pets, and it's held up beautifully. It's in our family room and is probably the most used piece of furniture in the house. We've never done anything to it, so I don't know what kind of maintenance you're talking about. I will say that it does pay to get good, quality leather. It won't be cheap, but it will last much longer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating