Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2020, 09:01 PM

41,957 posts, read 75,192,887 times

Advertisements

I put up a 7-foot tree! Woo-hoo! First time in 3 years. The 3-foot artificial tree is in its box in the shed.

I have a bunch of vintage decorations that I scatter around the house -- candle rings, lighted bells, a ceramic tree.

I also have a forest of small white or silver trees that I bought half price at Target over the years. One of them is covered in red ornaments as my dining room table centerpiece, placed in a scarlet Fiesta bowl plate and surrounded by pine cones and more small ornaments. Another silver tree has turquoise ornaments on it. The white tree has jewel-colored glass ornaments. Another small tree is green with white lights and more jewel colored ornaments. That one is in my home office.

The table is set with a green, red, and straw-colored plaid tablecloth, and scarlet and shamrock Fiesta. Well, the candlesticks are Fiesta, too, but they're white.

I hung up some wreaths in the kitchen, and a red and green tablecloth on the table. Usually I put up strings of lights on the stair railings and around the arch between the living and dining rooms, but that didn't happen this year.

I have some Christmas-themed bowls, glasses, mugs, and platters that I use when I feel like it. My Fiesta mugs are scarlet, so that's Christmasy enough for this year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2020, 05:59 PM

7,327 posts, read 12,338,739 times
My red and green Christmas light bulbs will be swapped out on January 6 for red and pink for Valentine's Day.

Old 01-11-2021, 09:22 AM

It turns out we took down our front Christmas decorations on the 5th of January, and the ones in our backyard on the 7th. We put up our red and pink Valentine's Day lights and decorations on the 5th. So far we are the only ones that I know in our neighborhood to have Valentine's Day decorations. Valentine's Day decorating just isn't very big here.

Note that there is a house in our neighborhood with pink lights, but they had it since October.

Note that I notice a major problem with a lot of red bulbs is that they look too orange. I noticed that with a lot of houses Christmas' decorations. Many colored LED bulbs use warm white LEDs with colored lenses to try to emulate the look of incandescent bulbs, but they do a poor job at producing good shades of red due to the limited amount of red wavelengths in white LEDs (since even warm white LEDs are still based on blue LED technology, but have an orange phosphor).

Old 01-12-2021, 03:58 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,925,505 times
I took down all my Christmas stuff and put out Mardi Gras stuff, which I absolutely love.

Old 01-12-2021, 05:02 PM

5,118 posts, read 3,418,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I took down all my Christmas stuff and put out Mardi Gras stuff, which I absolutely love.
Love this! My front door Christmas wreath is mostly gold with some green and the past few years I've thrown beads and some cool masks on it that my kids made in middle school and it goes right back up. Except not yet this year because it's still Christmas. Maybe this weekend.

Old 01-13-2021, 05:32 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,925,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorges View Post
Love this! My front door Christmas wreath is mostly gold with some green and the past few years I've thrown beads and some cool masks on it that my kids made in middle school and it goes right back up. Except not yet this year because it's still Christmas. Maybe this weekend.
I love that idea! I did the same thing on my front porch!

I actually have a lot of Mardi Gras beads laying around. Tis the season and all that!

Old 01-13-2021, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorges View Post
If you live in an HOA neighborhood, see if Mardi Gras is one of the allowed holidays, because some HOAs are very strict and have a whitelist of which holidays you can decorate for. Luckily ours is fairly lax.

Old 01-14-2021, 08:33 AM

5,118 posts, read 3,418,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink Jazz View Post
If you live in an HOA neighborhood, see if Mardi Gras is one of the allowed holidays, because some HOAs are very strict and have a whitelist of which holidays you can decorate for. Luckily ours is fairly lax.
I have no idea what holidays are approved but it this case it doesn't matter. The only thing I put up on the exterior is the wreath on the front door which is recessed under a deep porch. You don't even see it unless you come to the front door. And my neighbors aren't the type to turn people in.

Old 01-21-2021, 10:28 AM

6 posts, read 2,140 times
This year was my first year in my own place! Was actually really nice to buy and put up my own decorations! Loved my christmas tree lights so much they're now up around my TV!

Old 02-14-2021, 08:38 AM

Today we are putting up our pink fairy lights on our front gate for Valentine's Day, as well as turning on the pink fairy lights on the heart wreath (we had our pink and red bulbs as well as gate decorations since January 5-7). Fairy lights are something we typically do on the holidays themselves (we did red for Christmas and purple for Halloween). We did consider doing orange fairy lights for Thanksgiving as well, although we decided to skip it even though we had a fabric turkey and orange/red/yellow bulbs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating