U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2008, 02:18 PM

1,291 posts, read 2,877,839 times

Advertisements

The paper came off fairly easily. The paste is a pain! What should I do? Most of the paste is coming off. It is drywall. I am using fabric softener and hot water. There is still some sticky glue residue left in some spots, even though most paste came off. I am afraid of getting the walls too wet. Should I go back over the walls again with the same treatment? Should I sand off the final residue? Or would it be ok to just prime over it before painting. Will the primer cover up, and keep covered up small paste-glue residue? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2008, 02:27 PM

786 posts, read 3,300,360 times
Are you using a scraping knife (not sure of the actual name for it) along with the fabric softener? I would try to get as much off as you can before priming.

Old 05-08-2008, 02:28 PM

28,227 posts, read 18,384,306 times
We had to sand in order to get residual paste off-makes a smoother painting surface. Worth the extra work.

Old 05-08-2008, 02:30 PM

4,897 posts, read 13,202,683 times
Use a plastic putty knife to scrape off the residue. Is there any primer or paint under the wallpaper? If so, I'd think you'd be okay to spray on more diluted fabric softener to help to get off the stubborn glue. These Pampered Chef nylon scrapers work great for that leftover glue. They're small enough to fit in your hand and unlike plastic putty knives, these allow you to put the most pressure at the point your need in order to get the glue off the wall. I don't think painting over the residue is a good idea.

Old 05-08-2008, 06:43 PM

13,429 posts, read 18,654,299 times
We did this in our bathroom and after weeks; hubby gave up. Maybe he was doing something wrong! Anyway I finally hired a pro to come in and fix it and I have to tell you it was SO much cheaper than I thought it would be! And of course it looks a zillion times better!

Old 05-09-2008, 04:01 AM

The walls under the paste are painted. I guess what I will do, is get as much as I can off, then go back over them and do them a second time. The paper part of the paste is coming off fine, but there is some clearish glue still on the walls. I am having soooo much fun.

Old 05-09-2008, 05:39 AM

20,793 posts, read 49,638,494 times
I had several professional painters tell me this same tip--let the glue dry completely after you take off all the wallpaper-much of it should be scraped off as you scrape off the wallpaper, sand it down to smooth it out (we used the foam sanding blocks--it is quick and easy-not a major sanding job like sanding wood), prime the walls with a good stain blocking primer like Kliz and paint. It works like a CHARM. It is WAY easier then washing down the walls. We have done this in two houses now and no problems at all.

Old 05-09-2008, 08:47 AM

25,288 posts, read 22,763,410 times
I probably would have done the scraper idea, then a light sander for the rest.

Old 05-19-2008, 04:36 AM

I finished the project!!!! I did finally get off almost all the paste, and sticky glue. There were a few small places I had to sand it off. I primed, and painted this weekend. The results were very good! The hallway was papered in very dark ugly paper. It is now painted pale yellow, and it looks so much bigger and brighter and warmer. I plan to ruin my Holiday weekend coming up by taking down wallpaper in the Master bedroom!

Old 05-19-2008, 07:03 AM

35,886 posts, read 62,030,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdcdguy View Post
I finished the project!!!! I did finally get off almost all the paste, and sticky glue. There were a few small places I had to sand it off. I primed, and painted this weekend. The results were very good! The hallway was papered in very dark ugly paper. It is now painted pale yellow, and it looks so much bigger and brighter and warmer. I plan to ruin my Holiday weekend coming up by taking down wallpaper in the Master bedroom!
Woo Hoo! I started to post earlier but noticed others had mentioned that you may have to sand (wh/ is what we ended up doing one time). Wanted to say CONGRATS on completing your DIY project! And . . . so glad to hear it worked out and now you don't have that facing you over Memorial Day weekend!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating