U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2021, 01:30 PM

5,784 posts, read 4,288,974 times

Advertisements

So the OP of this thread asked about adding a shelf or two to a curio cabinet and people have turned it into how many knickknacks people should or should not have. For you minimalists: it is fine that you don't like knickknacks but please don't tell those who like them that they SHOULD NOT have them.

I admit that I have a lot of knickknacks-probably more than I should but I love ALL OF THEM and do not want to part with any of them-and even buy more. They are on display in MY house-most in curio cabinets and they do not harm anyone on this board whatsoever. All of the OPs knickknacks are NOT harming anyone on this board. Do what you like in your own house but please do not try to dictate how others should have their house based on your tastes.

And to answer OP's question, go to Portland Glass or some other glass company. They will cut you a piece the size that you want. We did that for a glass top on our coffee table.

Cat
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2021, 04:31 AM

15,470 posts, read 8,230,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TashaPosh View Post
Tho real art pieces are statements on their own in a corner, on a wall...or on top of a sideboard by itself. Stuff in curio cabinets or on shelves from Lowe’s is usually just collectibles or knick knacks that nobody needs IMO..AND can look cluttered.
wow.......I go away for a week, so to speak, and the whole place explodes.

I have my curio cabinets, I have my art on the wall, I have my halls to those before me. It's a big house and just little ole me.......and then, there are the oodles and oodles of stuffed animals. The "Stuffed Animals" in my photo album on this site are just one small gathering of them.

As to what is in curio, they are the Peanuts characters off the candy boxes that Mom and I collected together. My unicorn love that people have added to my collection over the decades. The wood animal sculptures that my grandmother gave me. The porcelain cats that my grand aunt collected that now live at my place. Pewter sculptures of dragons, fairies, knights on Pegasus, and wizards that I have bought at Ren Fests over the years. Large snowballs that were gifts from friends. Brass elephants and camels from my childhood. Cherry wood "knick knacks" from the trips Mom and I took together. Sea shells from around the world. A paperweight from my Father's desk. My collection of (Noah) Ark Art.

So please excuse me if I wish to keep the memories alive through my use of symbolic magic.

Thank you for the suggestion of a glass store vs that at Michael's or the like. As to Craigs list, I'll check it. I have the truck, now what I need are a few pretty, pretty (strong) boys.
Quote:
.........Ita..especially when they just sit there in a curio cabinet & aren’t used. At least with clothing, bags & shoes...they have a purpose.
Well, welcome to the world of symbolic magic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
It looks rather like my Wall of Dreams.

On one side of my bedroom, there are my collection of "dressers" for my clothes. A long, low proper dresser, two bedside tables, and the decided tall lingerie one I had in discussion last year. Atop of them are my, currently, four towers of silver, acrylic necklace holders, where I keep my talismans which I wear one daily........and another grouping of stuffed animals. Unicorns, Flying Ace teddybear, a carnival wizard bear that a lover and I got two of, stuffed animals that Mom and I bought together. Above that, on the wall, are various fantasy pictures such as framed art of the original Star Wars record album, Boris, Michael Whelan, women warriors from classic Battlestar Galactica, friends in belly dancing and ballet, my Ren Fest photography, and the like.

Quote:
Ofc there are ppl who disagree & want their homes full of curios. IMO...it’s like a style for hoarders tho. A home should be inviting & comfortable....with room to relax or entertain. Not just full of stuff to gather dust.
Comfortable is what I seek to make my home but I am a woodlands witch and this is how I do comfort.

As to, "That's what makes horse races" it means Difference of opinions. To me, it is a nicer way of saying it as oppose to "That is one opinion, Sir; it does not happen to be MINE." (paraphrased from classic Battlestar Galactica, Adama to Cain)
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
What are you going to store there?
Do you want to display your collections or just stuff the shelves to the top and use it as a storage?
Because if you actually want to make a display - less is more.
Well spaced and well lit glass shelves with few of your most precious collectibles - that's what should go into a curio cabinet. Not a load of items that are hard to see, find and identify. For that a regular bookshelves, or even better a cardboard box would be more suitable.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/home...d-animals.html
As to what is there, as described above. As to why, it is about memories and while Jessica Andrews video "Who I Am" might be a pretty good illustration as to the why, concepts of memory is probably a whole other thread in a much different forum.

As to well spacing of a few, well, that is sort of counter to it for my view grew up on seeing the world as The Golden Book Encyl covers, ie, https://www.amazon.com/Golden-Book-E.../dp/B000BTH95E

It is not a display, though, but a creation of my comfortable world. Like part of my bedroom described above, it is, in my own way of seeing things, a portal for me to enter the other worlds it creates.

Besides, as I think I said in post #1, another curio cabinet would probably be most expensive.

As far as the other thread of mine referred to, I will have to look at that again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
........OP, I'd look into the idea of more shelves to use the dead space, but only if there is enough of it. I mean I don't think it would look good if the space is too crammed with items. You'd would need at least several inches of clearance between the top of the items and the shelf above for that IMO. Other wise I say rotate the items in the cases or maybe it's time to go for something other than a curio cabinet, maybe a glass fronted bookcase? https://www.ikea.com/us/en/p/billy-o...ass-s89017832/
Possible although in the past, wall space has been a critical commodity for all the book shelves added, framed art space was lost. Still, it is possible.

Last edited by TamaraSavannah; 07-28-2021 at 05:18 AM..

Old 07-28-2021, 05:27 AM

11,319 posts, read 14,228,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamarasavannah View Post
wow.......i go away for a week, so to speak, and the whole place explodes.

I have my curio cabinets, i have my art on the wall, i have my halls to those before me. It's a big house and just little ole me.......and then, there are the oodles and oodles of stuffed animals. The "stuffed animals" in my photo album on this site are just one small gathering of them.

As to what is in curio, they are the peanuts characters off the candy boxes that mom and i collected together. My unicorn love that people have added to my collection over the decades. The wood animal sculptures that my grandmother gave me. The porcelain cats that my grand aunt collected that now live at my place. Pewter sculptures of dragons, fairies, knights on pegasus, and wizards that i have bought at ren fests over the years. Large snowballs that were gifts from friends. Brass elephants and camels from my childhood. Cherry wood "knick knacks" from the trips mom and i took together. Sea shells from around the world. A paperweight from my father's desk. My collection of (noah) ark art.

So please excuse me if i wish to keep the memories alive through my use of symbolic magic.

Thank you for the suggestion of a glass store vs that at michael's or the like. As to craigs list, i'll check it. I have the truck, now what i need are a few pretty, pretty (strong) boys.

Well, welcome to the world of symbolic magic.

It looks rather like my wall of dreams.

On one side of my bedroom, there are my collection of "dressers" for my clothes. A long, low proper dresser, two bedside tables, and the decided tall lingerie one i had in discussion last year. Atop of them are my, currently, four towers of silver, acrylic necklace holders, where i keep my talismans which i wear one daily........and another grouping of stuffed animals. Unicorns, flying ace teddybear, a carnival wizard bear that a lover and i got two of, stuffed animals that mom and i bought together. Above that, on the wall, are various fantasy pictures such as framed art of the original star wars record album, boris, michael whelan, women warriors from classic battlestar galactica, friends in belly dancing and ballet, my ren fest photography, and the like.

Comfortable is what i seek to make my home but i am a woodlands witch and this is how i do comfort.

as to, "that's what makes horse races" it means difference of opinions. To me, it is a nicer way of saying it as oppose to "that is one opinion, sir; it does not happen to be mine." (paraphrased from classic battlestar galactica, adama to cain)

as to what is there, as described above. As to why, it is about memories and while jessica andrews video "who i am" might be a pretty good illustration as to the why, concepts of memory is probably a whole other thread in a much different forum.

As to well spacing of a few, well, that is sort of counter to it for my view grew up on seeing the world as the golden book encyl covers, ie, https://www.amazon.com/golden-book-e.../dp/b000bth95e

it is not a display, though, but a creation of my comfortable world. Like part of my bedroom described above, it is, in my own way of seeing things, a portal for me to enter the other worlds it creates.

Besides, as i think i said in post #1, another curio cabinet would probably be most expensive.

As far as the other thread of mine referred to, i will have to look at that again.

Possible although in the past, wall space has been a critical commodity for all the book shelves added, framed art space was lost. Still, it is possible.
bingo!

Old 07-28-2021, 07:36 AM

43,033 posts, read 53,618,746 times
I detest “curios”. A few treasured objects, placed here and there, are fine, but curio cabinets are a waste of floor space.

Old 07-28-2021, 08:25 AM

33,080 posts, read 39,102,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
wow.......I go away for a week, so to speak, and the whole place explodes.
LOL. Nothing exploded here.

Old 07-28-2021, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
LOL. Nothing exploded here.
It went from a single post to 5 pages and without my help, too!

I'd say that was an explosion.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I detest “curios”. A few treasured objects, placed here and there, are fine, but curio cabinets are a waste of floor space.
Comme ce, comme ca.

One thing I reflect on at my age is that if someone wants to give me a gift, a curio like an animal sculpture or a dragon of some kind, it will charm me to my heart, thrill me that they were thinking kind and special about me, and I will cherish those emotions each time I see it or think of it in its tower.

For something that emotionally powerful, especially if it is in a tower, it doesn't seem like a waste of floor space at all to me.

Old 07-28-2021, 09:03 AM

7,435 posts, read 2,368,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
Thank you for the suggestion of a glass store vs that at Michael's or the like. As to Craigs list, I'll check it. I have the truck, now what I need are a few pretty, pretty (strong) boys.

You quoted me BUT I wasn’t the one who made that suggestion....so I don’t deserve the credit. Tbh IMO one small to medium decorative curio cabinet is enough for anybody...even in a super big house. AND even then IMO it’s the high quality unique cabinet piece that becomes part of the art to display. The cabinet is seen 1st. Good luck tho...hope it turns out how you want.

Last edited by TashaPosh; 07-28-2021 at 09:46 AM..

Old 07-28-2021, 09:26 AM

Quote:
I wasn’t the one who made that suggestion....so I don’t deserve the credit. Tbh IMO one small to medium decorative curio cabinet is enough for anybody...even in a super big house. AND even then IMO it’s the high quality unique cabinet piece that becomes part of the art to display. The cabinet is seen 1st. Good luck tho...hope it turns out how you want.
We-ll,

I made the post as I was reading this thread, before I got into individual replies, so that credit was for whoever made the suggestion.

As far as what is seen 1st........if it is seen at all. The ranch is my Fortress of Solitude where guests are few and far in between, sort of like maybe to entertain a trio of space opera officers on a rescue mission for a sick ship, rare visits like that.

It's just the nature of the ranch in that it is so far out of the path of many, so far in the communication boondocks.

Thank you.

Old 07-28-2021, 12:07 PM

540 posts, read 138,493 times
check out thrift stores i see them all the time in my area .

Old 07-28-2021, 12:26 PM

59,649 posts, read 48,180,775 times
Quote:
You quoted me BUT I wasn’t the one who made that suggestion....so I don’t deserve the credit. Tbh IMO one small to medium decorative curio cabinet is enough for anybody...even in a super big house. AND even then IMO it’s the high quality unique cabinet piece that becomes part of the art to display. The cabinet is seen 1st. Good luck tho...hope it turns out how you want.

Homes can be an oasis, where we recharge, or an expression of ourselves. That's how I see mine (and I only have one curio cabinet and it's actually holding heirloom china that I don't want to dust, in my dining area but I digress).

My point is that when a home is an oasis or where someone recharges or an expression of oneself, or any or all of the above, the homes will differ in many ways, and personally I'm OK with that. I seriously doubt that TamaraSavannah's home, or your home, or ANY other home, would be one I'd just sink into without changing things around. Same with you and my house for that matter.

Trends come and go, and so do our tastes over the years, and the way we express ourselves, and what we need and want in our homes. Your taste will change too over time, and maybe it already has. Heck, I know mine has over the years. But personally I have some heirlooms, some collectables, etc. that I may never get rid of. Maybe my kids will get rid of them, or maybe I will at some point, who knows? Meanwhile, I'm enjoying them.

This conversation reminds me of a conversation I had with my daughter a few years ago. She called me, all excited, and said "Mom, guess what - I'm going all neutral, and I'm clearing out everything! Neutrals only, with plants. No ceramic or pottery or china anything." I said, "Well, that sounds great - keep me posted!" I mean, I had my doubts but you never know. So she changed up all sorts of things - and she lasted about 6 months in it. Next thing I knew, she was buying a vintage red sofa and rugs and bedding in vibrant colors - she just couldn't do the minimalist, neutral thing - JUST COULD NOT DO IT. And her home was recently featured in a decorating magazine - not the neutral home, the one with the powerful colors and the red sofa! And what many people would call "clutter." Oh well!

I remember when my mom went all Danish modern in the 1960s. That was short lived too. I also remember that during that time, she sold an antique pie safe for $10, which she always regretted. Then she went with the whole Ethan Allen Americana thing during the 1970s. During the 1980s she had a pink kitchen and ducks everywhere. During the 1990s, she bought a solid wood, cherry dining room table with 10 chairs and I think it had a matching china cabinet or sideboard or something.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating