Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-14-2022, 03:33 AM

60 posts, read 43,999 times

Advertisements

Would you leave as-is - or knock down the wall to create more open concept?

Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2022, 06:45 AM

7,213 posts, read 6,985,167 times
If it's not load bearing I would remove it.

Old 10-14-2022, 07:07 AM

13,034 posts, read 17,916,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kab0906 View Post
This ^^ and what is it that you want? How do you entertain? Would you prefer the kitchen closed off or opened? IF you are asking if it impossible then you need to find out if it is load bearing wall or not.

Old 10-14-2022, 07:36 AM

4,682 posts, read 3,116,880 times
I like a house with walls... but not a skinny doorway to a kitchen. If it was my place I'd open that doorway another 6' or so toward the slider (so it's centered on that wall) and call it done.

Old 10-14-2022, 07:50 AM

9,952 posts, read 6,575,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seguinite View Post
I like a house with walls... but not a skinny doorway to a kitchen. If it was my place I'd open that doorway another 6' or so toward the slider (so it's centered on that wall) and call it done.
I have a somewhat similar setup and the opening is a large opening from the slider wall, while the space where the OP has the door would be where I have my fridge. The opening goes almost up to the ceiling minus what I imagine is room for the support beam. It doesn’t feel nearly as closed off as this one. It may be that the OP can just put in a cross beam like what I have. One of the previous owners of mine did something similar to the third bedroom, which might make it less desirable for someone who needs 3 bedrooms full time but since I use it as my office, I actually like having the opening. If I have guests and need to use the third bedroom, I usually sleep in there and just have a curtain I put across. I think the owner also did something similar for the dining room as it appears to have a support beam across and a large opening into the living area. It is not a full open concept by any means, but provides decent separation without feeling closed in.

Old 10-14-2022, 09:08 AM

19,362 posts, read 27,580,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kab0906 View Post
Yep.

Old 10-14-2022, 09:20 AM

8,584 posts, read 9,055,220 times
One thing I've noticed having bought a home with a complete open concept is noise from the kitchen. While in the living room watching TV the fridge making ice, (sounds like a bowling alley), dishes being washed, dishwasher running, cabinets doors closing, microwaving dinging, exhaust fans buzzing..........

I would only remove that one wall if any, not all.

Old 10-14-2022, 12:16 PM

17,404 posts, read 65,560,365 times
Due to the slope in the ceiling- clearly a vaulted ceiling that follows the roofline- I would doubt that it's loadbearing. But, even if it were it could still be done- just not as cheaply.

I personally would take it out- But I'd probably also reposition all the sliders for a more symmetrical appearance. However, if the so called breakfast area is right there with that slider in the kitchen i probably wouldn't remove the wall- unless I was expanding the kitchen and needed that space. And willing to loose the "eat-in" and maybe the slider for more wall space.

Old 10-14-2022, 01:44 PM

4,235 posts, read 2,430,473 times
The "dining" area looks like an add-on, probably enclosed a breezeway or porch. Lots of weird stuff even in two photos, like the cabinets sitting on the countertop. My guess is that the original kitchen had a breakfast area that was converted to more cabinets and counters, and the porch enclosed at the same time. I think that door was originally an exterior door and the wall was originally an exterior wall. This would also explain the angled ceiling. I bet that outlet to the side of the door is the only one in that add-on, which would make sense since there's not going to be much of a passable attic and it's probably sitting on a slab, so not easy to pull wires.

Old 10-14-2022, 11:09 PM

17,404 posts, read 65,560,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbit33 View Post
Lots of weird stuff… like the cabinets sitting on the countertop.

Never seen an appliance garage before???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating