Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2023, 07:21 AM

9,248 posts, read 5,014,753 times

Advertisements

I'm doing ok with my houseplants but the couple of trees I've tried growing indoors never made it. Looking at the Costco mailer I saw they had faux trees (before we moved to VT I'd purchased a faux ficus from Costco and my husband didn't even bring that with him when he packed our stuff up and moved it out here - I was already here)
Anyway! reading the reviews, I purchased the olive tree. It arrived and I LOVE it. It was not cheap but it also doesn't look fake. I have it down in our TV room (and will try for a photo) and I was so impressed I ordered the monstera, too. Now I have inside trees.

https://www.costco.com/faux-olive-tr...100756965.html

Here's the monstera:

https://www.costco.com/faux-monstera...100983870.html

P.S. being a very long term Costco member, I figured if I really hated the tree I could take it back to the store (I ordered these online with free shipping). But this olive tree is a keeper.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2023, 05:04 PM

22,920 posts, read 18,220,032 times
Wait until you need to clean dust off all those little leaves. Hopefully you can haul it into your shower or outdoors and turn a hose on it periodically. Nothing sadder than a dust grimed indoor tree IMHO. That's one of many advantages of trees that get to live outdoors...nature provides the shower for free!

Last edited by Parnassia; 01-13-2023 at 06:14 PM..

Old 01-13-2023, 09:07 PM

7,217 posts, read 6,994,652 times
I agree about the dust.

Old 01-14-2023, 08:30 AM

13,034 posts, read 17,934,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
Wait until you need to clean dust off all those little leaves. Hopefully you can haul it into your shower or outdoors and turn a hose on it periodically. Nothing sadder than a dust grimed indoor tree IMHO. That's one of many advantages of trees that get to live outdoors...nature provides the shower for free!
I just spit my coffee out. That is exactly what I was thinking about. I clean my house myself and it is a chore to say the least. Now "cleaning" means different things to people. I am one of those people who really cleans. Only one of the bathrooms is DH's responsibility and I finished the de-Christmasing last week and happened to walk past that bath and the light over the sink was on. The dust on the fixture was awful, so I made him give me the globes so I could wash them.

Now on the "my bad" side. The cleaner "extraordinaire" that I am, I somehow ignored the ceiling fan in the 20 foot ceiling great room. Truth be told, the room only gets used at Christmas time and if we have company and we have not once used the ceiling fan. There is an uplight and a down light on this thing. We use the lamps for lighting most of the time and when cleaning I will turn the down light on so I can see if I miss anything. I was cleaning last week and mistakenly hit the fan function on the remote and the dust was actually flying off it. I laughed at myself and thought, some cleaner you are. I can't get near high enough even on a ladder with a ceiling duster extension pole. There was a single cobweb that I saw and it drove me crazy. I finally got one of the wool dryer balls and tossed it up to get rid of it, but, I guess the fan blades will need to wait til we get the ceiling painted again. So much for being a good cleaner. I am glad I never use the fan when we have company too.

Old 01-15-2023, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
That is a good point but my intent is not to let it get grimy. Been there. I used a hair dyer, set on cold, once a month on the last one I had and it worked well. fingers crossed.

Old 01-15-2023, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post
I just spit my coffee out. That is exactly what I was thinking about. I clean my house myself and it is a chore to say the least. Now "cleaning" means different things to people. I am one of those people who really cleans. Only one of the bathrooms is DH's responsibility and I finished the de-Christmasing last week and happened to walk past that bath and the light over the sink was on. The dust on the fixture was awful, so I made him give me the globes so I could wash them.

Now on the "my bad" side. The cleaner "extraordinaire" that I am, I somehow ignored the ceiling fan in the 20 foot ceiling great room. Truth be told, the room only gets used at Christmas time and if we have company and we have not once used the ceiling fan. There is an uplight and a down light on this thing. We use the lamps for lighting most of the time and when cleaning I will turn the down light on so I can see if I miss anything. I was cleaning last week and mistakenly hit the fan function on the remote and the dust was actually flying off it. I laughed at myself and thought, some cleaner you are. I can't get near high enough even on a ladder with a ceiling duster extension pole. There was a single cobweb that I saw and it drove me crazy. I finally got one of the wool dryer balls and tossed it up to get rid of it, but, I guess the fan blades will need to wait til we get the ceiling painted again. So much for being a good cleaner. I am glad I never use the fan when we have company too.
speaking of which......we replaced a range hood and pulled out the stove to clean the wall behind it. OMG> I was horrified at the gunk back there. EW!!! and I tend to keep a pretty clean house.
We have standard size ceilings and I use the swiffer duster on the fans. Also always surprised at the dust up there.

Old 01-15-2023, 07:37 AM

13,034 posts, read 17,934,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley. View Post
speaking of which......we replaced a range hood and pulled out the stove to clean the wall behind it. OMG> I was horrified at the gunk back there. EW!!! and I tend to keep a pretty clean house.
We have standard size ceilings and I use the swiffer duster on the fans. Also always surprised at the dust up there.
The rest of my ceiling fans get the treatment once a month with this thing that is a fan blade duster. I love it as you slide it off the frame after uses and toss it in the wash. It is light as a feather too.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Ettore-Micr...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

Old 01-16-2023, 12:39 AM

17,421 posts, read 65,612,338 times
I like the fake faux trees- you don’t have to water them!

Old 03-03-2023, 12:09 AM

14,416 posts, read 22,382,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley. View Post
I'm doing ok with my houseplants but the couple of trees I've tried growing indoors never made it. Looking at the Costco mailer I saw they had faux trees (before we moved to VT I'd purchased a faux ficus from Costco and my husband didn't even bring that with him when he packed our stuff up and moved it out here - I was already here)
Anyway! reading the reviews, I purchased the olive tree. It arrived and I LOVE it. It was not cheap but it also doesn't look fake. I have it down in our TV room (and will try for a photo) and I was so impressed I ordered the monstera, too. Now I have inside trees.

https://www.costco.com/faux-olive-tr...100756965.html

Here's the monstera:

https://www.costco.com/faux-monstera...100983870.html

P.S. being a very long term Costco member, I figured if I really hated the tree I could take it back to the store (I ordered these online with free shipping). But this olive tree is a keeper.
I love that. I have 3 cats and can't have real plants in the house so this is defiantly an option. Can you shower them for cleaning?

Old 03-03-2023, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
I love that. I have 3 cats and can't have real plants in the house so this is defiantly an option. Can you shower them for cleaning?
I don't think so. Instructions says to dust with a clean soft cloth. They do come apart is smaller segments so that might help. The pot is white'ish and pretty sturdy.

Edit for a PS. I am going to get some 'fake' moss to put on top of the base which looks like dirt but is bleh. Hope the dog doesn't eat it. LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating