Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-29-2008, 09:51 PM

60 posts, read 297,235 times

Advertisements

Quick question for those people who has done remodeling and any home improvements. How much does it usually cost to hire someone to take out all the wall paper in the house (4 bedroom 2 bath and kitchen) and get them to paint it in neutral colors?? Any recommendations? Cheap and great quality of work.... Thank you...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2008, 12:32 PM

2,903 posts, read 12,530,555 times
that is a difficult question to answer.

how big are the rooms?
Any staircases?
How many layers?
Much furniture to move?
and the biggest question......
WHAT CONDITION IS THE PLASTER UNDERNEATH THE WALLPAPER??

many times wallpaper is holding poor condition plaster together...take off the wallpaper and you may have massive replastering to do. Maybe not, I don't want to scare you, but you do not say how old the house is, etc.

You may just want to do this yourself. I like using DIF GEL...(in the gallon jug, not the spray bottle) You roll the gel on with a paint roller....soaks in , scrapes the wallpaper off...sometimes it almost falls off itself.

Vinegar/water combo or a steamer works well also.....along with some good scrapers and a bit of elbow grease, tarps, a shop vac, and a stepladder if needed.

Frank D.

Old 06-30-2008, 06:04 PM

60 posts, read 297,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by faithfulFrank View Post
that is a difficult question to answer.

how big are the rooms?
Any staircases?
How many layers?
Much furniture to move?
and the biggest question......
WHAT CONDITION IS THE PLASTER UNDERNEATH THE WALLPAPER??

many times wallpaper is holding poor condition plaster together...take off the wallpaper and you may have massive replastering to do. Maybe not, I don't want to scare you, but you do not say how old the house is, etc.

You may just want to do this yourself. I like using DIF GEL...(in the gallon jug, not the spray bottle) You roll the gel on with a paint roller....soaks in , scrapes the wallpaper off...sometimes it almost falls off itself.

Vinegar/water combo or a steamer works well also.....along with some good scrapers and a bit of elbow grease, tarps, a shop vac, and a stepladder if needed.

Frank D.
Thanks...I didn't think to consider the things you had mentioned. The house is actually about 15 yrs old and it's a one-story house...but you're right, there's a lot of factors to consider...

Old 06-30-2008, 06:13 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,448,814 times
Is this a house you are going to buy or one you own and need to sell? Is the wallpaper affixed to the walls and not frayed? You can paint over wallpaper, depending on what condition it is, where it is, etc.

Old 07-01-2008, 07:08 PM

4,344 posts, read 5,795,207 times
Something else to take into consideration when stripping wallpaper or having someone do it is if the wall is sized or not also how many layers are on the wall. If the wall is sized it will come off easy if not, it can lead to having to do a textured paint or replacing the drywall all together. When a wallpaper says stripable, it means the vinyl part comes off while the paper part stays put.
As for paining wallpaper, I always strongly discouraged it. If its not adheared to the wall very well, as soon as you put the paint over the wallpaper it will curl and bubble. Also, you can see the seams.
Sorry....I passionatly HATE wallpaper after I had to strip a few rooms of it.

Old 07-01-2008, 10:48 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,764,742 times
I enjoy stripping wall paper. I would do it myself. The painters charge too much for this.

You could pay huge amounts for this work. Depends on how professional a paint job you want.

Old 07-07-2008, 12:20 PM

4,975 posts, read 11,692,521 times
I've stripped wallpaper in several rooms. DIF gel does work great. Just make sure you use a scoring tool before you apply the gel. Makes all the difference, because it allows the gel to really get under the wallpaper.

Old 07-08-2008, 03:01 AM

1,320 posts, read 3,700,899 times
Having spent most of the spring stripping wallpaper, it is NOT difficult. It is very time consuming though. And very messy. I put in many hours of work, but even with paint and supplies, I only spent about 100 dollars. I had an estimate of 2000 dollars to have the complete job done.

Also if your house is only 15 years old, I doubt there would be more than 2 layers of paper. If you are lucky, maybe just one! Also because of the age of your house, I would guess you have drywall, and not plaster. You need to know though, because it changes the process of how you remove the paper.

Last edited by cdcdguy; 07-08-2008 at 03:17 AM..

Old 07-08-2008, 04:18 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,282,830 times
Some friends just had their 2 story foyer and stairway painted for $1000 just to give you an idea of painting costs. Stripping wallpaper, like others have said, isn't hard, just time consuming. Painting is easy especially if you prep well--tape off trim, cover the floors with good tarps, etc. You can paint a room in a couple hours/coat of paint.

Old 07-08-2008, 08:15 AM

327 posts, read 939,283 times
Thumbs up Cma

Depends on a local market. Do a homework in your neighborhood. Do at least 3 free estimates. Ask for a proposed contract fee/agreement. Check what's included and excluded; warrantied and garantied.
Finally, do CMA-Comparative market analysis. Don't always go for a lowest, but for the better packaged deal. Good deals come in big packages.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating