U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2008, 09:30 AM

811 posts, read 1,733,990 times

Advertisements

If I may jump in here and ask you all for your opinions--we are going to be closing on a place soon, and the cabinets need SOMETHING done with them. I can't afford to replace them right now, but pretty sure these are the originals from 30+ yrs ago. I "think" they are laminate, and I am thinking of painting them but I just want it to look good, KWIM?

I was trying to post a pic of them but I am new to posting pics and I can't get it to work...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2008, 09:38 AM

http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w226/mysticfire0213/newhouse019-1.jpg (broken link)

http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w226/mysticfire0213/newhouse022-1.jpg (broken link)

Hope these arent too huge

Old 08-25-2008, 10:20 AM

4,541 posts, read 12,524,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticfire0213 View Post
http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w226/mysticfire0213/newhouse019-1.jpg (broken link)

http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w226/mysticfire0213/newhouse022-1.jpg (broken link)

If I may jump in here and ask you all for your opinions--we are going to be closing on a place soon, and the cabinets need SOMETHING done with them. I can't afford to replace them right now, but pretty sure these are the originals from 30+ yrs ago. I "think" they are laminate, and I am thinking of painting them but I just want it to look good, KWIM?

Hi Mystic,

The frames of your cabinets look like wood. From your pictures, the cabinets look like they are two toned. Is the center of your doors different from the rest?

Do you hate the handles in the center of the doors as much as I do???

Have you thought about taking the centers out of the doors and replacing them with glass???

Looks like you have a Stainless refrigerator! Wanna trade???

Old 08-25-2008, 10:22 AM

Default cabinet coat paint....

Quote:
Originally Posted by scjj View Post
Thanks! Yes, what I did was the usual prep work. The cabinets were stained a dark walnut and are about 19 years old. I removed all the hardware and doors and cleaned the cabinets real good, filled nail holes and such with wood filler, then sanded those areas and any others that had bumps or marks. Then I primed with Zinsser Bulls-Eye, sanded any rough spots or nits and then applied 3 coats of the Cabinet Coat paint that was tinted in Bisque. Insl-x Superior Coating Systems I waited a couple days and then applied Valspar's Mocha translucent glaze (you can get it at Lowe's) working in sections. Applied the glaze with a sponge brush and let it sit for a minute or two because when I tried to wipe it off right away it wasn't leaving enough to my liking. You might want to test it on your own and decide. You can always add more glaze to darken it. I then took a soft white cloth and wiped the glaze from the section I was working applying less pressure in the crevices and corners to leave a heavier glazed look. If you end up wiping too much glaze off the corners it is easy to correct by just applying more glaze and rewiping. Just be sure as you are working to keep an eye that your sections are blending evenly so you don't have one section or door noticeably darker or lighter than the other. I waited a week carefully using the cabinet and trying not to get it wet before I applied a polycrylic finish to protect it. I applied the poly very gently with a sponge brush and that was that.

One other thing if you use the cabinet coat paint. Make sure you practice with it first. It dries very quickly and drips easily from the brush. Watch the edges of the doors! Once you paint an area do not try and go back over it or you will ruin the finish. It is a self leveling paint and gives an excellent durable finish but you must move quickly while being careful at the same time and then just leave it alone. If you do mess it up or get a drip mark, just sand it down and repaint after it has dried.
I will be checking out the cabinet coat paint.

I was considering a spray gun to get that smooth texture...

Thank you so much for all of your information!

Old 08-25-2008, 10:32 AM

WC,
while most people LOVE SS appliances, I would rather have all black...lol, I know I am the minority on that one

The cabinets ARE 2-toned, which is strange...never seen any quite like them. I suppose I could do glass, but I have 3 kids and so we have lots of sippy cups, plastic character plates, etc that wouldn't be ethstetically pleasing, LOL--And I can't stand a cluttered look...

And yes, I despise the handles in the middle of the cabinets! (not to mention the handles themselves!!)

Last edited by mysticfire0213; 08-25-2008 at 10:48 AM.. Reason: add

Old 08-25-2008, 12:12 PM

Quote:
WC,
while most people LOVE SS appliances, I would rather have all black...lol, I know I am the minority on that one

The cabinets ARE 2-toned, which is strange...never seen any quite like them. I suppose I could do glass, but I have 3 kids and so we have lots of sippy cups, plastic character plates, etc that wouldn't be ethstetically pleasing, LOL--And I can't stand a cluttered look...

And yes, I despise the handles in the middle of the cabinets! (not to mention the handles themselves!!)
So, are the rest of the cabinets wood and that center part is different? The picture makes the center of the doors look like laminate or even a melamine but the rest of it looks like wood.

If so, maybe you can just replace the center part with wood and then paint? You can't paint melamine.

Maybe someone else can tell you about possibly removing the laminate if everything else is wood.

I've gotten some great information here!

BTW - you'll find that there are a lot of SS haters on CD...

Old 09-01-2008, 07:17 AM

Quote:
The cabinets ARE 2-toned, which is strange...never seen any quite like them.
Hey mysticfire...

I decided to test out that paint remover heat gun last night even though I'm not ready to start the project. I discovered that unfortunately underneath I've got two-toned cabinets just like yours!

The doors have solid wood frames... the center of mine turned out to be some mind of particleboard with a very thin veneer or laminate in the center. That's probably what you've got, too???

The drawers are actually all wood and dove tailed which makes this a real surprise but the house was built in the 70's and the 70's was a time of cheap, man-made imitation stuff.

I will be lightly sanding and primer sealing them and putting on several coats of paint.

I'm getting more and more ready to tackle this project -- especially now that I've partially stripped a door.

Old 09-01-2008, 08:28 PM

1,654 posts, read 6,527,703 times
I'm willing to post my old kitchen that i designed pretty much on my own.

Old 09-01-2008, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by World Citizen View Post
Hey mysticfire...

I decided to test out that paint remover heat gun last night even though I'm not ready to start the project. I discovered that unfortunately underneath I've got two-toned cabinets just like yours!

The doors have solid wood frames... the center of mine turned out to be some mind of particleboard with a very thin veneer or laminate in the center. That's probably what you've got, too???

The drawers are actually all wood and dove tailed which makes this a real surprise but the house was built in the 70's and the 70's was a time of cheap, man-made imitation stuff.

I will be lightly sanding and primer sealing them and putting on several coats of paint.

I'm getting more and more ready to tackle this project -- especially now that I've partially stripped a door.

Interesting...I'll have to take a better look at them and let you know! Our closing is in just 9 days...Can't wait!

thanks for sharing that with me, WC!

Old 09-01-2008, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pennquaker09 View Post
I'm willing to post my old kitchen that i designed pretty much on my own.
lets see it!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating