Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2008, 07:29 AM

69 posts, read 1,128,885 times

Advertisements

Hi it's me again! I'm going to change my name to "foreclosureowner" lol!

Today's question is....
What is the best way to clean wood blinds? This house was built in 2006 and I think that either the house was vacant most of the time, or the people who lived there (and they did live in it for a time as there are soap bits and bobby pins and dog hair all over lol more on that later!) never EVER cleaned them.

They are dark wood, really, really dusty and dirty, and yesterday I was just staring at them thinking "hmmm...that's going to be a chore".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2008, 10:17 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,448,814 times
If you can remove them, here is what I have done . . .

Clean them in the bathtub. What I do is line the tub w/ white towels to make sure I don't scratch anything. Fill tub with about 6-8 inches of warm water. Take the blinds down - leave them fully extended. Set them down in tub to immerse w/ water. If you have a spray attachment, this would greatly help. If not, just use a sponge or cloth to wash off each rung. I let them sit for a while so they get thoroughly wet.

You can spray w/ windex, 409, or anything you like to use (but not something w/ Clorox, as you said they are wooden - and the Clorox would take the color out of the dark strings). Just wash them off and then give them a good rinse in clear water. I wash several at a time, then rinse all of them at once.

Ideally, you will have a place to take them out on a deck or porch and spread them out to dry. However, if you don't have that, just lay them out on the bathroom floor w/ towels. You can re-hang them b/f they are completely dry, as long as you wipe the rungs off.

Someone may have an easier method, but that is how I have done it in the past.

Old 07-20-2008, 11:24 AM

4,344 posts, read 5,795,207 times
DO NOT put wood blinds in the water or use 409 on them. I cleaned my wood blind and the ones that were on display at the store I worked at with Pledge or another kind of wood cleaner like Old English. Putting them in water will ruin them.

Quote:
Wood Blinds:
  • Painted Finish: Clean with a soft, damp cloth.
  • Stained Finish: Treat with a lemon oil or other wood preservative.
Bali Blinds (http://www.baliblinds.com/customer_support/Cleaning_Instructions.jsp - broken link)
Real wood blinds cost much money to replace.
http://www.hunterdouglas.com/pdf/Careandcleaning.pdf another link that goes into more detail about cleaning wood blinds. It has more info.

Last edited by ladybug07; 07-20-2008 at 11:33 AM.. Reason: Adding another link

Old 07-20-2008, 12:10 PM

3,191 posts, read 9,180,895 times
To clean wood blinds takes patience more than anything else. I have them in my living and 2 bedrooms, 5 total. Here my approach-
The best way I clean (dust) them is I take a well wrung out wash cloth,using hot water, and stand there and wipe each and every slat, going from end to end. Working from top to bottom. Rinsing and re wringing the wash cloth every so often.
Time consuming yes, but they are clean then...until they get too dusty again.
This works well for me. Tried using the vac brush tool but that was more a pita.
Good luck!

Old 07-20-2008, 03:07 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,448,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladybug07 View Post
DO NOT put wood blinds in the water or use 409 on them. I cleaned my wood blind and the ones that were on display at the store I worked at with Pledge or another kind of wood cleaner like Old English. Putting them in water will ruin them.

Real wood blinds cost much money to replace.
http://www.hunterdouglas.com/pdf/Careandcleaning.pdf another link that goes into more detail about cleaning wood blinds. It has more info.
Yep, you are right. Mine were fake wood. Glad you caught that.

Sorry, Katzy. You would def have a mess if you dunked wood blinds in the tub!!!!!

Old 07-20-2008, 10:08 PM

Location: When things get hot they expand. Im not fat. Im hot.
2,513 posts, read 6,323,285 times
ALWAYS dust first. Water and dirt make mud.

Seriously. If you add water or anything to dust it makes a smeary mess. If you dust really well first the blinds will clean up a lot easier.

I close the blinds so theyre flat and then I dust from the top down with a microfiber cloth. Then I reverse them and make them flat again and get behind them and dust again.

Sometimes all they need is dusting. You would be surprised how much better they will look with a really good dusting. If thats not enuf I do the damp rag bit. And then use my fav Pledge with orange oil. If theyre not too bad sometimes you can just use the Pledge rag alone. Dont grease them down tho or youll attract dust.

Old 07-21-2008, 06:55 AM

5,384 posts, read 10,865,469 times
Wipe every single blade of the blind one by one with a damp towel- murphey's oil soap is great... if it is caked on and grimy- try a magic eraser to remove the grime... good luck

Old 07-21-2008, 08:19 AM

69 posts, read 1,128,885 times
Thanks everyone! These blinds are filty! REALLY filthy. A dusting just won't do it. The home we just moved into was built in 2006 but you'd think the dust had been building since 1996!

Maybe I can have hubby take them down and I can start working on one at a time. The whole house has them...that's a lot of blinds! lol I really want plantation shutters, but I'll keep the wood for a bit, so they must be cleaned.

Thanks again and wish me luck! lol

Old 07-21-2008, 09:11 AM

3,086 posts, read 7,611,753 times
I use baby wipes for anything that is covered with caked on dust.....haha
It keeps the dry dusty part from flying all over the room.
It is also damp enough to wash off the built up stuff too.
It's gentle enough to not damage anything. (after all they are made for baby's bottoms!)
It's disposable.

Once they've been cleaned really well then the swiffer duster type things work very well, or I just use the vacuum extension.

Old 07-22-2008, 07:45 AM

604 posts, read 4,620,598 times
I give my kids old socks and they put them on their hands like puppets and rub each slat. Sometimes I close them, side closest facing down and just take a slightly damp cloth from the top to the bottom and side to side. They don't do an pristine job but either do I!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating