Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-21-2008, 07:05 AM

88 posts, read 273,245 times

Advertisements

Hi! My husband and I just ordered shutters for our home yesterday. I am rethinking one of the choices we made. Most of our windows are approx 58" tall x34.5" wide. The rep mentioned the way a lot of people are going now is with a single panel in order to cut down on the obstructions to the view when the louvers (?) are open. Does anyone have any experience with single panel vs. multi panel shutters? It's odd when I try to picture it because I've only ever seen multi panel shutters.The other options we chose are to have the panels divided so the top could be open while the bottom stays shut and we chose 3..5" slats. I am excited about these shutters, but they are a long term investment and I want to make sure we didn't make a "trendy" choice rather than a practical one. We still have time to adjust our order.Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2008, 01:53 PM

4,344 posts, read 5,796,878 times
The part that would bother me is the weight of a shutter that is 34 1/2 wide. Who is the company that your looking to buy from? What kind of warranty does it have. When I sold blinds/shutters none of the companies would manufacture a shutter that wide because if you were to open it, the weight of the shutter itself could tear up the opening of the window (that is the reason for multi-panel). When customers of mine didnt want something to block thier view, they went with the 2 1/2 slat on plantation blind because it gave a similar effect that one can get from plantation shutters. EverWood X-tra blinds - Hunter Douglas Window Fashions This blind by Hunter Douglas is an Everwood which is a composite (mixture of wood and vinyl) that will not warp, yellow etc. If I remember right, the slat looks just like a louver on a shutter. Go to like Home Depot or Lowes. They should have samples of these blinds that way you can see if its something you like.
The way I think is if you go with a single panel, then why not go with the 2 1/2 or 3" plantation blinds that some companies make.
Either way blinds and shutters are expensive and they are an investment.

ETA: Here are some sites with different pictures of shutters.
http://www.vistaproducts.com/index.php?src=gendocs&link=indoor_shutter&category =Main (broken link)
http://www.graberblinds.com/product_...rod_type_id=19

Old 08-22-2008, 04:46 PM

88 posts, read 273,245 times
Hi. Thanks for the reply. I have checked with three shutter places around here and all recommended the one panel for the 34.5" wide windows. I read that maybe they use reinforcement. I should have asked, but I didn't. It must be the style around here since they all recommended it. I am still back and forth about it so I may ask our shutter people to hold off until I know for sure.

I am using a local shutter place that is highly regarded in our neighborhood. They have a lifetime guarantee - though now that you mention it I should look further into it.

Thanks for the help!

Old 08-22-2008, 06:53 PM

2,197 posts, read 7,392,121 times
I have double plantation shutters, with the tops and bottoms opening separately. This gives you the most options. I'm not sure I would like the single panel, because it would be so wide and I would think it would be awkward to open all the way. The only place I have the single panel is on my French doors and each door has one panel. But I'm sure whatever the shutter store recommends would work. They must have some way of balancing the weight, because the shutters are very heavy. We just had some of them off for painting, and I can't even lift the bigger ones!

Old 08-30-2011, 02:06 PM

1 posts, read 6,550 times
Fiddi, what did you decide about your shutters.... single panel or two panel? I am having the same dilemma.

Old 09-05-2011, 03:23 PM

320 posts, read 2,529,252 times
We did double plantation with tops and bottom opening separately. Yes that means a few sticks (4) on one window. But without the sticks the shutters wind up looking like blinds -- at least to us.

Old 02-25-2012, 12:34 PM

2 posts, read 12,008 times
i have a dilemma as well...looking to purchase plantation shutters, the two windows upstairs are to wide. i am going to need to do 2 panels on them, does this mean i have to do 2 panels on all the windows, even the smaller ones? please help!!!! i would like all single panels but none will do a polywood single panel shutter, 35 wide ...not sure if the windows from outside would look good with 2 sets of 2 panel windows upstairs and sinlge panels downstairs....

Old 02-25-2012, 12:37 PM

2 posts, read 12,008 times
Default plantation shutters

i have a dilemma as well...looking to purchase plantation shutters, the two windows upstairs are to wide. i am going to need to do 2 panels on them, does this mean i have to do 2 panels on all the windows, even the smaller ones? please help!!!! i would like all single panels but none will do a polywood single panel shutter, 35 wide ...not sure if the windows from outside would look good with 2 sets of 2 panel windows upstairs and sinlge panels downstairs....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating