Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2008, 04:23 PM

165 posts, read 1,284,867 times

Advertisements

We are making some changes to a standard house plan that originally called for double hung windows. For various reasons, we'd prefer casement windows. We can substitute of course, but the window sizes range from 1'8" to 2'8" wide and from 4'2" to 6'6" high. It's difficult to visualize the larger windows in casement form and to imagine cranking open a pane of glass that is (at the largest) 32" x 78". Does anyone have large casement windows like this? How stable are they on a windy day? How heavy are they to operate? We have a suggestion to split the window opening to a pane of fixed glass over a smaller awning window, which looks fine on this style house (and is cheaper) but poses egress problems in some of the bedrooms.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2008, 11:25 AM

459 posts, read 2,227,418 times
Pella Windows website is a great source for information - One of the most complete and extensive of all the window manufacturers. You can look on their size charts to see the largest of standard sized casement units...

www.pella.com

Old 09-07-2008, 12:31 PM

5,641 posts, read 24,944,880 times
I agree, it does seem there are potential problems with large protruding panes. Perhaps someone has experience with limited movement of large panes.

I have large windows in my house but the largest are fixed (with smaller sliding sash windows integrated); the largest single opening windows I have are sliding sash (60x72).

Old 09-07-2008, 05:13 PM

Yes, I know several manufacturers make casement windows this large (and even larger). I would like to know how practical they are. We'll have nice views so the larger panes would be advantageous. Another option we're considering is smaller fixed panes above, say 18" high, and then reducing the height of the corresponding casement below. But maybe the larger opening is nice when it comes to cross ventilation?
Thanks, cdelena, I didn't even think about how the panes would protrude when open. Some of the windows will open onto a deck. At least with double-hung we didn't worry about someone bumping into the panes as they passed by! The windows and their trim will be a color that contrasts with the body of the house, so hope that helps.

Old 09-14-2008, 10:59 AM

7,785 posts, read 18,817,826 times
Generally when casement windows get over a certain size, instead of being one big swing-out pane, the mfr "cuts them in half," (sort of) so that you have a center post and both windows swing away from that point.

Old 09-14-2008, 11:46 AM

Thanks, I can see how that would help where the panes are wide. Ours are generally only 20 - 30" wide, so that's not too bad. It's the height we were concerned about. A 78" window is six and a half feet tall and just seemed like a lot of glass to swing open. We think we'll put fixed transoms on top, maybe 16-18" tall, which will cut the casement window height to five feet.

Old 09-14-2008, 12:05 PM

5,760 posts, read 11,358,171 times
I would be having second thoughts also about a casement window that is more than about 48" tall x 24" wide. Anything much bigger is a lot of weight to be supported by the hinges and also a lot of weight for the casement crank handle to open and close. If you have a 78" tall window opening, how about a solid window on the lower 18" to 24" section, and the upper part with a casement?

Old 09-14-2008, 12:47 PM

We thought of that configuration too, but that poses the same emergency egress issues as mentioned in my first post. In the guest bedrooms, where the windows are only 66" tall, the windows begin at 30" off the floor. If we put a fixed pane of 18-24" at the bottom of the window opening, then that means 48 - 54" of wall & window to go over for the grandkids, or mom with her walker, or whoever else is staying in those rooms. Probably be a violation of code too!

Old 09-14-2008, 05:06 PM

12,169 posts, read 17,640,761 times
Unless your goal is to heat or cool the great outdoors, I'd stay away from casement windows.

Old 09-14-2008, 05:37 PM

Well, we weren't planning on having the windows open while the heat or AC is on. Other than that, another appeal of the casement windows is they're more energy-efficient (assuming other factors like glass type, etc. being equal) because they have lower air leakage rates than either sliders or double-hung. At least, that's according to the US Dept. of Energy's EERE guide.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating