Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2008, 01:39 PM

786 posts, read 3,923,547 times

Advertisements

We have 9 foot ceilings in our new home. What length should the curtains be? 108" and drag a little on the floor (since the rod will be a few inches below the ceiling)? Can I get away with 95" curtains or will that look funny. When I measure they would hang a couple inches off the ground.

The window frames start about a foot below the ceiling.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2008, 03:47 PM

1,318 posts, read 5,270,863 times
We have 9 footers too. I have one pair of curtains in the family room
that are 104" and they hang just above the floor. We did put the rod
a bit higher tho. I dont like the look of dragging curtains. As far as the other
windows, I just put sheers that are 84 so they come well below the window.
Then I just plan on putting valances with the sheers. The curtains are hung
with clip rings, and I just keep them stationary,since I have wooden blinds
up to the window also.

Greenchili

Old 09-16-2008, 05:30 PM

472 posts, read 1,709,500 times
Curtains are usually made to "break" on the floor because they can shrink a little when they are dry-cleaned or washed, depending on the fabric. Since formal lined and interlined draperies are made to last 20 years or more, this becomes an issue. It also matters for cotton and linen casual curtains that you intend to wash. The extra length can be re-hemmed if you like. This also implies that if you make up your own curtains, you should prewash the fabric and give them a deep hem, just in case.

Old 09-16-2008, 09:34 PM

4,334 posts, read 13,657,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrissCT View Post
We have 9 foot ceilings in our new home. What length should the curtains be? 108" and drag a little on the floor (since the rod will be a few inches below the ceiling)? Can I get away with 95" curtains or will that look funny. When I measure they would hang a couple inches off the ground.

Depends what your taste in decor is. Personally I like a little bit of a feminine/soft look when it comes to curtains. I would say hang the rod at least four inches over the window and let the curtains hang to the floor or on the floor by and inch. If you do not need privacy curtains I am a big fan of sheers!

Old 09-16-2008, 11:55 PM

4,725 posts, read 10,131,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrissCT View Post

The 95" ending a couple of inches off the floor would not only look funny, CrissCT, but look like an accident! You definitely want your drapes and/or curtains to hand within 1/4" to 1/2" inch above the floor or puddle with at least 6-8" of extra fabric to puddle (which you will neatly arrange in spite of the puddling effect).

Do you have crown molding? If so, I would allow at least 2-3" of wall space between the molding and the rod. If you don't have crown molding, I too, would hang the rod about 4-5" higher than the window.

If you can't find an exact length (probably 96-98" for floor length), I would buy the longer size and turn up the hem. You want to make a double turned hem at least 4" deep and hand or blind stitch it if possible.

Most seamstresses will hem your draperies if you do not sew. It is such an easy, quick job for them that they probably won't charge much to do it.

Your only other option is to order custom length drapes, curtains, and sheers - and that does get VERY expensive. I have made window treatments for years and it is not very difficult at all to make a simple lined drapery panel to hang on the clip hooks or hang as a stationary curtain. You can use very elegant or quite informal fabrics and get just the look you want.

More elaborate treatments like swags, French pleats, etc. you should probably leave to the experts if you haven't sewn before. But, there is nothing wrong with giving it a go with muslin first to see how you do. There is a great deal of satisfaction in creating your own window treatments.

Whatever you decide to do, be sure that it is what you want and not something that someone else has talked you into. Nothing can be worse than spending the money of home decor and never really liking it.

Let us know what you decide to do with your great 9' foot high room. The windows can really set the stage for a wonderful room.

Old 09-17-2008, 06:13 AM

I ended up finding some 96" length curtains online from Target. I plan on using the rings/clips to give me and extra inch or two and that should just perfectly hit the floor without dragging. If not, I will return them.

We do have crown molding so the 108" drapes would drag about 8" on the floor and that is just too much for me so if I end up having to get those I will have to hem them.

Thanks for everyone's honest suggestions!

Old 09-17-2008, 09:32 AM

1,318 posts, read 5,270,863 times
Just had to add that there are no hard rules when doing curtains. Do what
you like. I dont like dragging curtains.

Greenchili

Old 09-17-2008, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenchili View Post
Just had to add that there are no hard rules when doing curtains. Do what
you like. I dont like dragging curtains.

Greenchili
Thanks!

I don't like them either - I had them in my last home and they get so dirty too.

Old 09-18-2008, 07:26 AM

4,620 posts, read 14,979,764 times
My taste is that anything between the bottom of the window sill and the floor is a no-man's-land, and any curtain/drape that ends in that area looks not-quite-right to me ... that's not saying my taste is right or wrong, it's just what it looks like to me. I'm also not a fan of puddling since dust dwells there, and I have to putz too much to fix the puddles after dusting.

For informal, my curtains end either on the sill or just below it. For formal, my curtains end either at the floor or no more than an inch above the floor. To achieve soft formal, I use a lighter, or appearingly lighter, fabric.

For the reasons above, I rarely go in my daughter's room - she wanted to keep the window treatments that came with the house, and they bug me big time ... heavy, dark damask drapes with a dark brown cornice, and the drapes end 3" above the floor. To my personal preference, it's just not pleasing and looks like the former owner just threw up window treatments without a thought.

Old 09-18-2008, 07:46 AM

6,470 posts, read 16,391,935 times
I think this depends on your style of house. I think long curtains look more formal. If you can't get them made to the exact length to touch the floor, I think "puddling" looks better. At any rate, if you have long windows, I would recommend a fabric with a HEFT that will hang well. If you like sheers, you can put a sheer underneath and keep the outer curtains tied back. I think sheer/light curtains tend to look cheap on large windows.

Another option is to go for curtains that stop 4-5 inches below the window sill. This looks like more of a "country" look to me, and I think it works well on short windows, or the type of window in the average tract house. I think a light curtain may also work better on these types of windows.

Some examples:
Short: http://www.countrycurtains.com/images/us/local/products/detail/0105V82_dt.jpg (broken link)
Long:
http://www.homesandbargains.co.uk/images/Image/product%20of%20the%20week/Winter%20accessories/CROP%20curtain.jpg (broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating