Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-16-2008, 12:37 AM

66 posts, read 381,732 times

Advertisements

We are moving and the walls of the new house NEED paint. The trim is white. Hardwood floors throughout. The living room(entry) is square, medium sized, one nice big window but lots of trees so not too much light. Our furniture is chocolate brown with gold accents.
What color should we paint this room? Need specific names. I prefer Benjamin Moore. This room opens up into the dining room. Need a color for this room too!
In bedroom, our comforter is again,chocolate brown, but lots of red accents in here. What about adjoining bathroom? Would like a nice warm wall color that compliments the wall in bedroom.
Help!! I went into Benjamin Moore and got so LOST once I looked at the chips. I've made myself colorblind. LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2008, 01:51 AM

4,207 posts, read 15,199,878 times
what color are the wood floors?

Old 09-16-2008, 06:44 AM

5,406 posts, read 13,227,516 times
You might want to post this under the "House" section where you'll probably get more responses and different views from different types of people.

Old 09-16-2008, 07:52 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,524,542 times
and you might consider getting the type of paint that has a full range of light spectrum
I forget what it is called but it does make a difference in both the color of the walls and the light inside the room...
BM might have to change the composition of the paint to make that happen...
the brand that started this all is called ellen kennon--hers are expensive
but that concept can be done to other brands
Ellen Kennon Full Spectrum Paints
there is a virtual room where you can pick a room and change the wall color--but that depends on your computer's color setup and don't think on mine the colors transfer very accurately....
but she explains the concept of full spectrum paints well

Old 09-16-2008, 07:02 PM

4 posts, read 25,753 times
I like Benjamin Moore too. I have white trim in my house and used Bleeker Beige, but if I could do it again, I might have used Shaker Beige. Go to a store and check out their little paint samples-- those are the popular colors and they have a nice selection of beiges that would complement your furniture and trim.

Old 09-16-2008, 08:09 PM

3,463 posts, read 7,285,085 times
You may want to look at Pittsburg Paints "Toasted Almond" #414-3. I also have white trim and medium colored oak hardwood floors. Some people like to paint all the rooms in the house the same color, others don't. Personally, I like all the rooms the same color so everything flows and looks uniform. I also have had houses with "decorator colors" in various rooms. I found that it's best to use the stronger [decorator] colors in bedrooms that are preferably on a different level (upstairs), otherwise when you are on the main level and look into those rooms with stronger colors it is somewhat a shock instead of flowing. There are two rooms on the main level that can be dazzled up - if the master bedroom is on the main level you might want to go with a slighter brighter color than the other main level rooms but stay with the same basic color. And the dining room can usually be painted different from the other main level rooms. The kitchen walls are often so loaded with cabinetry, tiles and appliances that not too much wall surface shows, yet the kitchen colors too should flow into the rest of the main level. I much prefer to keep the living room, sunroom, study/library (if it is not wood paneled), halls, etc. on the main level the same color - a color that is basically neutral - like Pittsburg "Toasted Almond".

Old 09-16-2008, 08:35 PM

3,463 posts, read 7,285,085 times
And yes, this thread probably should be moved to a more appropriate section, e.g. "House", like Canine*Castle suggested.

Old 09-16-2008, 09:58 PM

116 posts, read 446,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kittypawz11 View Post
We are moving and the walls of the new house NEED paint. The trim is white. Hardwood floors throughout. The living room(entry) is square, medium sized, one nice big window but lots of trees so not too much light. Our furniture is chocolate brown with gold accents.
What color should we paint this room? Need specific names. I prefer Benjamin Moore. This room opens up into the dining room. Need a color for this room too!
In bedroom, our comforter is again,chocolate brown, but lots of red accents in here. What about adjoining bathroom? Would like a nice warm wall color that compliments the wall in bedroom.
Help!! I went into Benjamin Moore and got so LOST once I looked at the chips. I've made myself colorblind. LOL
Macadamia Nut by Sherwin Williams is a wonderful nuetral beige. Beiges can be tricky...sometimes to pink or to much yellow tints. We have used this in a few homes recently, originally found this shade from a custom builders spec home. Keep the living & dining room the same colors. The more colors you use- the "choppier" your home will look. White ceilings make the room appear larger & ceilings higher-this may be good if your room tends to be shaded. The best update any homeowner can do is scrape "pop corn" texture off ceilings!!! Kitchens & bathrooms can have different shades or textures. Do not use "frosted" white on base boards-thats out now! Over-all Macadamia (sp) Nut is good with most shades of trim! Nancy mentioned earlier about wood floor shades and I will add cabinet shades whether stained or painted is a question!
Good luck!!

Old 09-17-2008, 08:48 AM

1,067 posts, read 5,638,158 times
Maybe try a golden yellow on the walls to offset the brown and gold. Other good colors that go with brown and nice accents of red is poached pear green or palm leaf green which can be found at Sherwin Williams.

If you aren't into gold yellow( a more toned down yellow), try shades of brown that are either dark enough or light enough to contrast your brown furnishings. I also love skip trowel on walls, it gives a nice old world feel to the wall, gives lots of deminision.

another tip, if your brown furnishings have a yellow hue to them, pick a yellow base of brown, if your brown has a more dark subtle look, you need to go with a brown with a green base.

Last edited by stargazer; 09-17-2008 at 10:13 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating