Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2008, 01:52 PM

280 posts, read 1,073,263 times

Advertisements

I'm trying to make a decision on a paint color for my two story foyer and upstairs hallway. We have lots of window, high ceilings and lots of moldings painted white. Their is a pretty substaintial curved staircase in the front foyer and 10 foot ceilings on both levels.

Right now the color is a light off white, like BM's muslin, and I'm looking to add some depth, but I dont' want it too gold or two brown.

Some colors I am looking at are (all benjamin moore):

Pittsfield Buff HC 24
Putnam Ivory HC 39
blond wood 1068
alpaca 1074

Would love any advice if anyone has experience with any of these colors -thanks so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2008, 06:37 AM

4,620 posts, read 14,985,603 times
Obviously the focal point of the foyer is the staircase. What are the treads and risers (fully carpeted?, wood? carpet with exposed wood?) and the balusters and handrail (painted white? wood? metal?) You mention lots of mouldings - does that include a chair rail? IMHO, working with the staircase to "pull" out the proper color will give you the depth you're seeking.

Old 10-29-2008, 10:36 AM

Good questions, I think you are onto something here. The staircase treads are hard wood with a carpeted (off white) runner - the wood color is medium tone, like a pecan. The risers are painted white, and there is a white painted chair rail and moldings underneath.

So should I pull a color that seems to best complement the tone of the wood floors?

Old 10-29-2008, 12:15 PM

4,334 posts, read 13,661,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Novamom06 View Post
I'm trying to make a decision on a paint color for my two story foyer and upstairs hallway. We have lots of window, high ceilings and lots of moldings painted white. Their is a pretty substaintial curved staircase in the front foyer and 10 foot ceilings on both levels.

Right now the color is a light off white, like BM's muslin, and I'm looking to add some depth, but I dont' want it too gold or two brown.

Some colors I am looking at are (all benjamin moore):

Pittsfield Buff HC 24
Putnam Ivory HC 39
blond wood 1068
alpaca 1074

Would love any advice if anyone has experience with any of these colors -thanks so much!
Pics would be good....hard to tell without!

Old 11-01-2008, 07:32 AM

1,654 posts, read 7,347,377 times
Blond wood. I used it in my old home.

Old 11-03-2008, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pennquaker09 View Post
Blond wood. I used it in my old home.
Thanks - i am actually now considering Squire Hill Buff - 1068, it is the next one darker to Blood Wood. My ceilings are very high so I think I need a darker color as a contrast.

Has anyone used that color?

Old 11-04-2008, 10:00 AM

2,309 posts, read 2,315,094 times
We just did our two story entry in Powell Buff and I love it...very warm and inviting

Old 11-05-2008, 08:28 PM

1,222 posts, read 5,149,681 times
Default I LOVE Squire Hill Buff!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Novamom06 View Post
Thanks - i am actually now considering Squire Hill Buff - 1068, it is the next one darker to Blood Wood. My ceilings are very high so I think I need a darker color as a contrast.

Has anyone used that color?
I used Squire Hill Buff AND Blonde Wood in my previous home. I used the SHB in the foyer, hall and family room, up the staircase, upstairs hall and son's bedroom. Most of those rooms had quite a bit of light during the day, but you could still tell the color of the walls - basically didn't wash it out, and then at night was very warm. We also had white moldings. (When I get to my laptop I'll try and post a picture for you.)

Then we used Blonde Wood for our basement. Again, I was looking for the continuity of the paint appearing to be the same color, but because it was in in-ground basement, didn't want it to be too dark. It was perfect!

I'll hopefully reuse at least one of them in this home.

Old 11-06-2008, 07:54 PM

1,222 posts, read 5,149,681 times
Here are the colors. The one with the blue sofa and striped chair is the Squire Hill Buff. The plaid sofa and blue chairs has the Blonde Wood.

Okay... I can't get it to load, but if you go to the thread asking about the green color, they loaded there by mistake. Sorry!

Old 11-07-2008, 09:58 AM

Thank you!! I've already commited to the squire hill bluff and it will be painted on Tuesday. I'll let you know how it comes out!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating