Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-04-2008, 05:42 PM

337 posts, read 1,427,274 times

Advertisements

Help... my rental is owned by a builder who did the "builder" thing and put all white cabinetry in the kitchen and both bathrooms! The floors have white ceramic tiles and all the appliances are white too! I swear I get snowblind just turning on the lights! (and oh yeah...even all the knobs on all the cabinetry is white too!)

So...ideas about how to warm up the rooms a little????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2008, 08:11 PM

5,978 posts, read 19,836,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RecovringKrspyKremeAddict View Post
Help... my rental is owned by a builder who did the "builder" thing and put all white cabinetry in the kitchen and both bathrooms! The floors have white ceramic tiles and all the appliances are white too! I swear I get snowblind just turning on the lights! (and oh yeah...even all the knobs on all the cabinetry is white too!)

In the baths, I would have red towels, red themed bright shower curtain and red prints on the walls matted and framed in black, as well as red accessories. In the kitchen, I would have red/black appliances (toasters, coffee makers, Kitchen Aid mixers, etc.), towels, canisters, etc. using the same theme. I think this theme is contemporary and clean without being boring.

Old 11-04-2008, 09:37 PM

2,500 posts, read 6,298,018 times
Once you get some "stuff" you'll be fine. Be glad everything is neutral. Could be worse. You could have pink tile.

In the bath I would do a real rug. Nice big 5x7 or whatever works. Then pick your towel and accessory colors from it. Also some larger art work or posters would add color and cut down on the whiteness. Some nice bold accessories on the counter. Maybe a large floral arrangement.

Is your kitchen one of those galley kitchens. A nice long runer in the center would really brighten things up. Easier on the feet too. And if youre a crazy wild flour flinger when you cook just move it aside. Again you need some stuff to hang on the walls. Artwork. A plate collection. And more stuff for the counters. Doesnt matter just so its colorful.

Also theres peel and stick quick release wall borders. These add a lot of color without painting. Some people like them some dont.

Old 11-05-2008, 06:32 AM

4,620 posts, read 14,922,491 times
I also have the white builder's thing here. I echo the above posters' suggestions about what to do.

Reds, maroons (on the red side not the blue side), yellows, or woods (such as baskets or wooden canisters or containers). Use the colors as accents (scatter rugs, towels, etc) or in accessories. Gold-tone or brass is warmer than silver-tone, nickel, stainless if using any metals. I wouldn't change out the cabinet knobs though - 'gold' or 'silver' or colors will look like polka dots and draw the eye back to the whiteness of the cabinets.

Old 11-05-2008, 08:20 AM

Awesome suggestions!! So appreciated!!!

Oh my..."pink" tiles? Well, I do have a cast of pink on a few of the tiles in the Master bath...it's a double sink vanity and the floor (and all the nooks and crannies of the sink area, as well as the flooring grout) here must have been where the previous woman that lived here did her full makeup every morning! Every time I take my cleaning rag in there I can still swipe up makeup remnants!

The idea for a larger rug is sounding good for this bathroom.

Unfortunately, all the kitchen "accessories" I brought with me are white as well.....toaster, stand mixer, fridge, stove, etc. I had warm oak cabinetry in my previous house so it wasn't as stark then. I will try some of the "red" ideas....that makes sense.

It's not a "galley" type kitchen....in fact, it's very different. The floor plan of this house places the kitchen in the exact center of the house. It's hard to explain, but in another post I described the openings I have near the ceiling in each room of the house, that open into the adjoining rooms. (Sort of like windows without glass) The kitchen is the center and has these openings on every side of it that lead over into the other rooms. The shape of the kitchen itself is more like a "Z". I'm probably not doing a great job with the description here...it's really different. However, I do like the suggestions for the artwork, accessories, etc. I will work toward this.

Flourescent lighting in this kitchen is also yucky!

Thanks for all the suggestions........I've got work to do!

Last edited by RecovringKrspyKremeAddict; 11-05-2008 at 08:23 AM.. Reason: removing redundancy

Old 11-05-2008, 09:09 AM

41,737 posts, read 74,703,059 times
Hey, if it's white then it's a blank canvas. What are your favorite colors? Pick a color or two or three, and run with them.

The bath in my former house was all white -- tile, fixtures, floor -- and it was great because by spending very little money, I could have a whole new bathroom. In 13 years I went from wedgewood blue to lilac to navy and yellow. My current bathroom was all almond -- even the toilet! -- and we bought curtains, towels, etc., in burgundy and navy.

In my all-white kitchen (except for the red countertops, which I adore!) I bought colorful towels and hung them over the drawer handles (and by opening the drawers by pulling the towel instead of the drawer handle, the cabinets stayed clean -- bonus!) to add color to the kitchen. Rugs, tiles on the walls, colorful canisters, etc. will help, too. I screwed hooks into the backsplashes and hung up red kitchen utensils, many of which I bought at Goodwill.

Have fun!

Old 11-05-2008, 10:14 AM

5,501 posts, read 22,393,642 times
Quote:

Get some creme colored shower curtains.

White is like a beautiful canvas for all the color you will ad to the place!

Old 11-05-2008, 11:04 AM

3,131 posts, read 11,612,203 times
Look at it with a positive spin..a blank slate. you can accessorize with any and all of YOUR favorite colors with no clashing! Just choose items in colors you really like. Plus, now, kitchen appliances for teh countertop come in some great colors, or go real edgy with black and white! the bathroom really allows for personalization. shower curtains with designs and colors, rugs for the floor, great looking towels, some for decoration, some for use. you might even want to check on the new type of decal-type wall art (similar to the fathead sports images) kind a peel-and-stick design!

Old 11-05-2008, 03:58 PM

Wow....I definitely came to the right place for suggestions!!! I love 'em all.....and can't wait to get started!

Old 11-05-2008, 05:54 PM

2,500 posts, read 6,298,018 times
Quote:

Unfortunately, all the kitchen "accessories" I brought with me are white as well.....toaster, stand mixer, fridge, stove, etc. I had warm oak cabinetry in my previous house so it wasn't as stark then. I will try some of the "red" ideas....that makes sense.

It's not a "galley" type kitchen....in fact, it's very different. The floor plan of this house places the kitchen in the exact center of the house. It's hard to explain, but in another post I described the openings I have near the ceiling in each room of the house, that open into the adjoining rooms. (Sort of like windows without glass) The kitchen is the center and has these openings on every side of it that lead over into the other rooms. The shape of the kitchen itself is more like a "Z". I'm probably not doing a great job with the description here...it's really different. However, I do like the suggestions for the artwork, accessories, etc. I will work toward this.

Flourescent lighting in this kitchen is also yucky!

Thanks for all the suggestions........I've got work to do!
I think those niche things a a big pain in the patootie. Some man must have thought them up No woman in her right mind would design something like that. If you decorate yours do big stuff. Dont put a bunch of little stuff up there. Its hard to keep lean and it wont have as much impact a a few big pieces. Remember youre viewing it from a distance. Think of it as doing a window display at Macy's. .

Oh and you can change out the bulbs in your lights. If I remember right they have some ones that simulate daylight. .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating