Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-20-2008, 10:36 AM

26 posts, read 116,276 times

Advertisements

The bedrooms in my house have weird, small, uncentered, mismatched, high up windows. Can anyone recommend sites, books, magazines or give some ideas on how to make these windows look better?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2008, 04:15 AM

4,620 posts, read 14,985,603 times
Is it possible to rearrange the furniture in the room so that the bed is centered under that small window? If so, you could do a "headboard" enhancement to incorporate the window with the metal headboard.

I'd place a valance above the window with a curved shape to mimic the curve on the headboard. The valance could be either hanging fabric or fabric-covered plywood or foamcore. Presuming the ceiling is 8', the highest part of the valance would almost touch the ceiling, and the bottom of it would come just below the top of the window.

From under the valance I'd hang two full-length panels, pulled inward toward the sides of the window at the top and then swagged open to the outer sides of the headboard where they'd fall straight down to the floor.

Not knowing if furniture rearrangement is possible in that room, another option could be to place the bed where the TV is and move that armoir under the window. If the stereo equipment was taken off the armoir (and placed elsewhere?) it appears that the armoir would fit right under that window. You could install a valance over the window, either a straight one or one that mimics the curve of the bed's headboard.

Old 11-21-2008, 07:51 AM

3,131 posts, read 11,647,326 times
I have seen(on the hgtv shows) they put up a larger set of brackets and rods, run the drapery panels to the floor etc. to give the illusion of a larger window, but that would only work with the curtains drawn closed. I would look at that website for some ideas. also, re-arranging the furniture away from that window, to draw the eye to some other feature. maybe come up with a different type of headboard and bed coverings as a focal point. You might also check locally for an interior designer for tips. sometimes you can get someone to come in for a consultation for around $50. I did that for my family room furniture arrangement!

Old 11-21-2008, 02:19 PM

8,411 posts, read 39,260,210 times
I would move the stuff around in the room. Catty corner the bed to where the stereo dresser tall thing is. I cant really see the rest of the room but the bed and tall thing is making it look chopping and just moved in.

Ikea makes this thing thats a wire between two fittings. Then you can draw the curtain all the way across the wall. Nice for above a bed because no big rod is going to come down and conk your teeth out. LOL

But you could also start the drape at the top of the wall where it meets the ceilling and have the curtain fall all the way to the floor. (option for the ones that are more centered to your liking)

The wire:
http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/60075295

Old 11-21-2008, 06:44 PM

9,480 posts, read 12,114,293 times
Wooden Window Cornices - for Doors, Windows, Shelves - from Vintage Woodworks maybe a cornice over the window...

you could use cafe curtains, as they are shorter...

the above idea about running panels to the floor is a good one. It would give the illusion of a full window...or you could pull out the small one and replace it with a larger window!

Old 11-22-2008, 08:35 PM

4,344 posts, read 5,797,453 times
One day, go in and check out magazines. Especially the Wall and Windows ones they usually have some really good ideas. There is a book (forgive me I cant remember the name of it) but it has a yellowish/beige curtain on the front and something about Style on it. When I worked with wall and windows stuff, that book was a good reference tool.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating