U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2007, 03:05 PM

2 posts, read 62,894 times

Advertisements

Should the color of the wood floor be close to that of your wood furniture, or should it contrast? ie, dark furniture-light floors?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2007, 12:14 AM

1,021 posts, read 3,022,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by retirement mover View Post
Should the color of the wood floor be close to that of your wood furniture, or should it contrast? ie, dark furniture-light floors?
Interesting question.

I think of most hardwood floors as rather neutral. I wouldn't even think of trying to match furniture wood to floor color. If, for some reason, your existing wood floor doesn't look right to you with the furniture, a good-looking area rug can provide the needed contrast or harmony.

Old 02-27-2007, 08:13 AM

5,289 posts, read 4,426,107 times
I personally would prefer a contrast,I wouldn't like a light colored floor and have the same colored coffee table,they would blend into each other and create no visual interest.

Old 02-27-2007, 10:35 AM

10,010 posts, read 12,237,426 times
dark floor, lighter furniture

Old 02-27-2007, 02:10 PM

5,019 posts, read 9,240,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by retirement mover View Post
I think you're missing the most important question:

What color is your cat/dog? Light colored pet hair will blend in with lighter floors and darker pets need darker floors....

Can you tell I spend a lot of time sweeping pet hair?

Joking aside, I think there are more considerations to take into account when choosing floor stain.

Generally, contrast is good, but I've also seen very light colored minimalist interiors paired with blonde wood floors, and rich, dark antique-filled rooms with dark floors and various darker-stains on the furniture.

I tend to think that the lighter the floor color, the more informal and modern the room (think "bamboo flooring").

Mid-range tones like a Honey Oak seem old fashioned and warm and work well with country furniture, primitive antiques and look especially charming in wide-plank flooring.

Dark tones (mahogany, cherry, walnut) convey a sense of formality. They really tend to "ground" the room.

Old 03-01-2007, 07:32 AM

1,341 posts, read 4,430,618 times
I think it's more important that a room be beautiful WITHOUT furniture. If the aesthetic works in this simple state, then the room will only get more comfortable and attractive as you furnish it.

I don't consider myself "an artist" but I've done a good deal of graphic design over the years and there is one pitfall I learned quickly. If your design "feels" right in a rudimentary state then you're on the right track. If you get to a nearly finished concept and you're not in love and you find yourself adding non-foundation elements to make the design "work" (i.e., furniture, decorative accessories) then you've got a bad aesthetic foundation.

I think it's possible to marry similar furniture and floor tones if the visual interest lies somewhere else. For example, here is an older photo of my office after I repainted the boring white walls and selected furniture:

http://www.pecorfamily.com/Blog_202006_2D02_2D28_20Office_201.jpg (broken link)

Another angle:

http://www.pecorfamily.com/Blog_202006_2D02_2D28_20Office_202.jpg (broken link)

The bare section of wall now holds a large handmade world map painted on leather and it shares the warm earthy tones. This room has two 36" x 60" windows facing the landscaped gardens outside so the warm earthy tones are complemented by the cool garden tones seen through the windows.

Just some thoughts.

Sean

Old 03-03-2007, 09:23 AM

5,933 posts, read 14,959,354 times
Very nice! The office does look warm and cozy, peaceful.

Old 03-03-2007, 11:12 AM

1,021 posts, read 3,022,944 times
Beautiful job, Sean! Warm and inviting.

Thanks for sharing the pictures. Love the desks and the roman shades, too.

Last edited by Figment 07; 03-03-2007 at 12:11 PM..

Old 03-03-2007, 08:51 PM

112 posts, read 577,051 times
I love the color of my heart pine floors, a complex, reddish, chestnut-brown. I didn't really try to select furniture to match/contrast, but the walls are light. A contractor told me the wood had been protected with polyurethane but I think that 175 years of age gives them the character. It is some of the hardest wood I've ever seen, you could drop a hammer from shoulder height and it would not dent the surface. Another of our houses had Douglas fir flooring which was nice but the heart pine is superior.

Old 03-12-2007, 07:07 PM

1,341 posts, read 4,430,618 times
I've got all oak flooring in a few different styles in an attempt by the original owner and builder to stay true to a williamsburg colonial vibe. They even went so far as to avoid poly coating altogether in favor of paste waxed floors. They require waxing, buffing and polishing once annually. The house is 7,000 square feet. On the plus side I can hold a bottle of mountain dew and spin it open with two fingers now, lol. Wax on, Wax off, Wax on, Wax off. Myagi Doh!

Sean
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating