Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2008, 10:21 AM

3,320 posts, read 5,595,527 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kootr View Post
I love rugs over hardwood flooring. I use area rugs throughout the house. I have oriental rugs in the dining room, living room, study/library, breakfast room, bedrooms, entrance foyer and runners in the hallways. Those rooms all have hardwood flooring. The sunroom, kitchen and laundry have regular area rugs over ceramic tile flooring.

Here is a picture of the dining room. This picture was taken with two extra leafs in the table to accomodate eight people therefore the chairs are somewhat close to the edge of the rug when pulled out for seating.
That looks nice. Do you use anything to keep the rugs in place? Have your wood floors stayed the same color with all the rugs down?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2008, 11:18 AM

3,463 posts, read 7,306,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gold*dust1 View Post
That looks nice. Do you use anything to keep the rugs in place? Have your wood floors stayed the same color with all the rugs down?
This particular rug (in the picture above) of course has the dining room table and chairs on it so there is no way it can move. Many other rugs in the house also have furniture on them too. The rugs that don't [have furniture on them] really don't move, but in the past I have used a thin felt pad under some hallway runners...but they really aren't needed. Smaller rugs on ceramic tile floors seem to have more of a tendency to move, but that has never caused any problem.

My houses all have lots of windows with some floors getting full sun through the windows, arches and skylights. Only in one house do I have a difference in the floor coloring under one rug. I don't know if that is caused by the type of finish on the hardwood flooring or some other reason. One thing that probably helps reduce or eliminate floor discoloring is the type of windows in the house - I have windows that reduce ultraviolet light and heat transmittance. This helps reduce discoloring of the hardwood flooring and also helps protect furniture finishes, fabrics, leather, upholstery, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating