U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2009, 04:30 PM

584 posts, read 1,287,925 times
I also agree with making two separate seating areas. That room is very, very large and creating separate living areas will help bring some intimacy to the room. You don't have to buy identical rugs either. Just find ones with a common style and that harmonize with the furniture and accent pieces.

Overstock.com was my supplier when I first furnished my home. They have very inexpensive rugs in large sizes, and the same pattern comes in different colors so that I did a "similar but different" look throughout the downstairs.

Good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2009, 07:24 PM

786 posts, read 2,498,214 times
I do think I am leaning toward the two separate seating area ideas. I've seen some really nice smaller rugs (5x7) at T.J. Maxx which would make a nice area by the fireplace on one end of the room. In the larger tv area, we may go with a remnant that coordinates.

Old 01-09-2009, 10:55 PM

1,870 posts, read 2,061,901 times
Generally area rugs are not as big as the room, they are to tie an area together. Placement of furniture on the rug is important. Usually they tie a sofa and some chairs and a coffee table together. An 8 by 10 rug might be okay depending on the furniture. Or a slightly bigger size. There are many websites selling rugs where you can look at sizes and patterns. Some rugs are also very plain and will look better then buying carpeting and binding it. For example you can buy a solid or border rug.

Old 06-16-2010, 08:37 AM

1 posts, read 1,796 times
Default identical area rugs

Can I use 2 of the exact same area rugs in my livingroom or will they look like clones and be boring?
I have 2 red Bukara rugs that I love but I don't know if it will be overkill to use them both close to
each other? Any thoughts?

Last edited by Haila; 06-16-2010 at 08:40 AM.. Reason: needed to add information

Old 06-16-2010, 03:45 PM

2,799 posts, read 7,363,164 times
Depends on how you place the furniture. Having two identical rugs side by side can make a great statement or it can look like cloning. We used identical rugs in our family room which sort of had two seating areas in a L-shape ... one rug was in front of a larger sofa with end tables and the other rug in front of a smaller sofa that had different end tables. There was about 8-12" of space between the two rugs.

Also, it depends on what you have for flooring -- presume hardwood? or? Makes for a nice statement seeing nice flooring around the edges of both rugs.

I wouldn't straddle the two rugs with any furniture such as a coffee table plunked in the middle.

I think that as long as you don't treat the two rugs as one, it won't look like you've gone overboard.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating