Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-27-2008, 10:51 PM

2,905 posts, read 7,327,050 times

Advertisements

Hi there, Merry Christmas, Happy Holidays and Happy New Year!

I was just curious how all of you in the warm climates of the US decorate the interior of your houses for the holidays?

I am asking because up here in New England, we use a lot of winter themed decorations in conjunction with the Christmas decorations, and leave them up far after Christmas.

For Example, garland made of pine (or you know the artificial garland), Snowmen, etc. are kind "wintry" decorations that go up for Christmas and are left up.

Same thing for Thanksgiving, we use a lot of apple, pumpkin, gourds etc. to decorate, mostly because these things are in season up here, and I don't know if those things are in season in warm areas, so if they are not do you decorate with them?

I was thinking that these types of decorations might not fit in over in the warm areas, and if you don't use them, then what else do you decorate with? And do you take them down right after Christmas or Thanksgiving?

Just curious, really.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2008, 11:14 PM

2,976 posts, read 13,336,596 times
I have to smile as I read your post - if only you could see my colleagues home - oh my - there might be a bit more artificial decorations but you can not see his front yeard for all the decorations and on the inside - well he has 10 -- yes 10 Christmas trees.

For those who are so inspired, people will go all out. This year, maybe because of the economics, I didn't see as many homes as decorated as in past years, but yes we do decorate down here.

What you won't see as much of, and as you mentioned, are the fresh ornaments. I always have a fresh wreath and spray it daily to keep the needles from falling off. I do miss the nip in the air, however. But, then again, I was swimming on Christmas. Happy New Year!!

Old 12-27-2008, 11:28 PM

625 posts, read 4,557,475 times
In the South most people put a bunch of lights on their house, white plastic reindeer, blow up Santa Claus...wreaths on the house, on their car, deer antlers on their car. some of it is a little much. They put it up after Thanksgiving and take it down by New Year or it's bad luck-I don't really see anyone put anything up on their house that stays after the holidays. I lived in Boston a few years ago and people do tend to decorate differently up like you mentioned in your post. We don't have the long winter to endure down here-it was 65 degrees here today (in Nashville)

Old 12-28-2008, 06:07 AM

4,620 posts, read 14,917,314 times
I'm a MA transplant in FL now and I honestly don't see much of a difference in holiday decorating between here and there. My house is full of wintery things including electric snowflakes bordering my gardens and hanging from my palm tree. A house in our community actually put down some white sheeting under their fake snowmen to simulate snow. Another house created a winter scene with a ski slope last year and a skating rink this year.

There aren't tree lots on every corner where one can get a fresh tree, but we do have quite a few. Like up north, some people here have real trees, some have artificial. I think there's also a good mix of real and fake wreaths. Mine happens to be real - it doesn't last as long as it did up north, but long enough.

I almost think there are more outdoor decorations here than up north - lots of light-lined roofs for example - because the weather is more conducive to being outside and doing the task. We even have companies that can be hired to design and install outside decorations.

However, since there are so many transplants here, I can't help but wonder if we all just bring our habits and traditions with us and that native Floridians have a different mind set.

Old 12-28-2008, 10:14 AM

1,270 posts, read 5,192,491 times
We put Christmas lights on the cactus and palm trees here in Arizona. Some folks leave the lights up all year if they are white.
Attached Thumbnails
How do those of you in warm climates decorate for the holidays?-1218081844.jpg   How do those of you in warm climates decorate for the holidays?-12180817351.jpg  

Old 12-28-2008, 10:52 PM

2,905 posts, read 7,327,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mawipafl View Post
I'm a MA transplant in FL now and I honestly don't see much of a difference in holiday decorating between here and there. My house is full of wintery things including electric snowflakes bordering my gardens and hanging from my palm tree. A house in our community actually put down some white sheeting under their fake snowmen to simulate snow. Another house created a winter scene with a ski slope last year and a skating rink this year.

There aren't tree lots on every corner where one can get a fresh tree, but we do have quite a few. Like up north, some people here have real trees, some have artificial. I think there's also a good mix of real and fake wreaths. Mine happens to be real - it doesn't last as long as it did up north, but long enough.

I almost think there are more outdoor decorations here than up north - lots of light-lined roofs for example - because the weather is more conducive to being outside and doing the task. We even have companies that can be hired to design and install outside decorations.

However, since there are so many transplants here, I can't help but wonder if we all just bring our habits and traditions with us and that native Floridians have a different mind set.
good points about the outdoor decorations--more people might be willing to put them up during warm weather--no frosty fingertips!

Old 12-29-2008, 12:22 AM

4,334 posts, read 13,621,854 times
Florida goes all out with any Holiday decorating. I see more Xmas lights on houses down here than I ever did in my homestate of N.J.
People down here go crazy with it!

Old 01-02-2009, 12:58 PM

43,854 posts, read 50,875,005 times
Awww....are you making fun of the air conditioner blowing our tinsel off the Christmas tree?

Growing up I was always jealous of the kids who had snow at Christmas. Other than that, I'm not sure the decorations look very much different. As one poster mentioned, Florida goes crazy with Christmas lights.

Old 01-02-2009, 06:09 PM

4,627 posts, read 10,437,010 times
I saw this thread and it brought a smile to my face. When we lived in the southwest long, long ago, we had a tumbleweed for our Christmas tree! It was rather large (for a weed!), we sprayed it with flocking and put tinsel on it. My dad was big on blue lights, so he put them all over the living room. It was quite pretty - and certainy fit in with the desert theme happening outdoors!

Old 01-05-2009, 10:59 AM

8,672 posts, read 22,211,777 times
I'm not sure if Texas qualifies as a "warm area" since we do get snow and ice here. In fact, it is very cold here today with freezing rain. But it's variable, Christmas Day was so warm here I was unable to burn a fire for "ambiance." Saturday was a record high of 84 here in Dallas. We seldom see a white Christmas, but ....in this area we certainly use snow-themed decorations, snowmen etc...even though sometimes it's more of a fantasy than reality! I often keep up my snowmen and other "winter themed" decorations till Spring...if they are not something that is overtly "Christmas."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating