Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-20-2009, 07:11 PM

1,212 posts, read 4,911,729 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobokenkitchen View Post
Sandycat, we had a kitchen somewhat like this in a previous home. I hated the cabs too, but after we changed out the appliances and granite I grew to love it. This may be too dark for you, but here are the before and afters so you can see the changes. May give you some alternative ideas? Otherwise the white could work well - I wouldn't change out the doors, the shape is fine. My only concern is that I am leery of white cabinets with white appliances (unless you're talking super high end). You would really have to go with counter and backsplash which would contrast well.

The granite in the 'after' shot is Uba Tuba - lovely and one of the cheapest granite colors available.
Wow! I really love this look. It is similar to the look I am going for except my cabinets will be stained cherry. Yes I like the dark wood, dark countertops, black (not ss) appliances. Call me trendy or a follower. It is something I would like. I have had white kitchen in cheap rentals throught the years. I wanted to go for something I saw in the mags and HGTV.

Old 01-21-2009, 05:58 AM

3,488 posts, read 8,221,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whome224 View Post
I would go with a medium wood floor. What do you have in the rest of the house? Also, darker wood floors tend to show scratches more, should you have a lot of traffic and greatly abuse the floors.
Agree with this. Medium wood. We have dark wood floors in the place we renting now and they are beautiful but a PITA to keep looking clean.

Have you considered slate? One of the less expensive stones and beautiful.

As someone else mentioned, I don't think that any naturally beautiful product goes out of fashion really. Stones/ granites/ soapstones/ limestones, wood and butcherblock are all beautiful organic products.
It's the manmade stuff that will really date I think - the tiles, corians, etc.

Anyway, I hope I could give you some ideas, and good luck with it!

Old 01-23-2009, 09:39 AM

4,334 posts, read 13,661,904 times
White cabinets never go out of style. If you get bored with your kitchen all it takes is a fresh new color on the walls and the cabinets will always match!

Old 01-25-2009, 07:28 PM

10,447 posts, read 49,658,815 times
Oh my friends. I hate to awake this monster of a subject again. I walked away because so many are putting personal taste over facts and real life trends and arguing it.

But something just happend that actually made me laugh and run to this thread to post what I saw. Right now this very second on HGTV on House Hunters at 8PM CT a couple was showed a home. It's still on now. And she walks into the white modern kitchen and the puss on her face was priceless. And here is what she said, word for word, just without the facial expressions which I can not describe:

"Oh my gosh a white kitchen? That is horrible".

Please dont send any hate mail to me or HGTV.

Update..... They chose the condo with the white kitchen because it was cheap and they said the first thing they will do is rip out that ugly kitchen.

Old 01-25-2009, 08:25 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,458,432 times
desertsun41 - why oh why do you take this so personally. It is like you are on a mission to destroy all white kitchens and you will not rest until they are obliterated from the face of the earth. Your experience is that they don't sell well. OK, fine. But honestly, some people still like them and they can be updated despite the fact that you don't care for them. Do some people feel strongly against them? Sure, but so what? Truly, why is this such a big deal to anyone on either side? If you don't like them, don't get them or tear them out, whatever. If you like them keep them. It's kitchen cabinets folks. That's it, KITCHEN CABINETS....relax.

Old 01-25-2009, 09:09 PM

1,830 posts, read 5,350,407 times
Desertsun41, several times you have referenced the kitchen displays in your showroom. Could you please post some pictures of your displays, especially the white cabinets no one buys, and the toffee ones they love? It would help in following this debate if we could see exactly what you are talking about, plus we all love to see pictures. Thanks.

Old 01-25-2009, 10:29 PM

3,320 posts, read 5,595,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hcgCali View Post
Desertsun41, several times you have referenced the kitchen displays in your showroom. Could you please post some pictures of your displays, especially the white cabinets no one buys, and the toffee ones they love? It would help in following this debate if we could see exactly what you are talking about, plus we all love to see pictures. Thanks.
Good idea

Old 01-25-2009, 11:33 PM

3,320 posts, read 5,595,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
Oh my friends. I hate to awake this monster of a subject again. I walked away because so many are putting personal taste over facts and real life trends and arguing it.

But something just happend that actually made me laugh and run to this thread to post what I saw. Right now this very second on HGTV on House Hunters at 8PM CT a couple was showed a home. It's still on now. And she walks into the white modern kitchen and the puss on her face was priceless. And here is what she said, word for word, just without the facial expressions which I can not describe:

"Oh my gosh a white kitchen? That is horrible".

Please dont send any hate mail to me or HGTV.

Update..... They chose the condo with the white kitchen because it was cheap and they said the first thing they will do is rip out that ugly kitchen.
To be fair *cough* desertsun, I just caught the episode you're speaking of. Their white cabinets really were putrid, not like anything that has been shown on this thread. At the end of the show they still had the cabinets and got stainless appliances and made a joke that maybe the cabinets would have to stay awhile.

Old 01-26-2009, 03:18 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,023,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Why do the cabinets need to "pop"? The homeowner won't be able to find them otherwise?

And does anyone else want to strike the phrase "pop" from interior designers' vocabularies?
LOL

I wonder if the difference between someone who wants a more gestalt-like neutral look and someone who wants items to "pop" is the same difference between folks who repeatedly insert soundbite slogans and those who deplore trendy catchphrases.

I am so behind the times that I didn't really see a pattern of overuse until recently.

Old 01-26-2009, 06:17 AM

3,488 posts, read 8,221,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hcgCali View Post
Excellent suggestion!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating