U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2009, 06:43 PM

2,329 posts, read 4,039,049 times

Advertisements

My last house had black and white tiled checkered floors, white counters with black/white checkered accents, a retro gas stove (I can't recall the name now - but it started with a W), schoolhouse lamps, magenta walls (just an accent), and WHITE cabinets. Let me me tell you that kitchen looked sweet. I always got compliments on the overall look (I didn't even do it - the prior owner did). Although she could have went with a different color cabinet, the white toned down the rest and as crazy as it sounds it looked really classic but fresh - she had them professionally painted. I see nothing wrong with white cabinets if it's complimentary to the rest.

Old 01-02-2009, 06:50 PM

41,267 posts, read 24,687,466 times
Quote:
If you've got the time, paint'em yourself, it's easy and a whole lot cheaper.
That's what I did. Had twenty-six chestnut stained 6-panel doors - bought a sprayer and did it ourselves - 8 at a time.

Old 01-02-2009, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Like I said. You can but everyone will point and laugh. Especially if it's oak. And since 81% of every kitchen in America is oak I say no.
With oak you will definitely see the grain - but some people like that look. I've seen oak cabs painted in dark blue, green and black. They looked good.

Old 01-02-2009, 07:09 PM

4,153 posts, read 6,636,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
Your right. Do whatever you wish. It's your home. And as long as you dont have those communist HOAs telling what you can and cant do then go for it.
Since when do they enforce rules inside homes?

Quote:
Im not trying to talk anyone out of it, I guess Im just trying to hard to give advice against a not so good home improvement move.
The OP sounds like she's looking for an inexpensive stop gap improvement not a gut job, unless I'm totally confused?

Old 01-02-2009, 07:27 PM

4,207 posts, read 8,168,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
Except no one stays in a home for 30 years anymore. Our parents generation did for the most part but not anymore. So you have to think about resale. Dont say your not going to sell. One never knows ones future. I can name many Realtors who can tell you stories about what their clients say when they show a home with white cabinets. Many home buyers will see a white kitchen and just move on to the next house for sale.
Nor do kitchens last 30 years anymore. If you design your kitchen entirely with resale in mind, you'll end up with the most generic thing imaginable. Cherry, granite and stainless now, and then some other fad 5 years from now that will give away when your kitchen was built just as surely.

Old 01-02-2009, 07:53 PM

1,996 posts, read 3,759,104 times
Well honestly, I've just been thinking about kitchens lately. Our house is only 6 years old, but every improvement we are doing, we are doing it because of resale. For example, we debrassed the whole house. Something as big as a kitchen, we want to make sure it won't hurt resale. This is not my forever house. The cabinets are not oak, they are just your run of the mill vaneer cabinets, not a lot of grain at all, made to look mapleish. But I know what maple looks like, so I get annoyed when I stare at them. I don't really want to replace them since the mechanisms are all good, and honestly they don't look horrible (my house is in the 200K range), and of course it seems wasteful to replace them. The counters are a really gross beige/tan low end laminate. And the floor, of course is vinyl. So as you can see, the kitchen is functional, but pretty low end. We don't want to overimprove since this is not a "granite countertop neighborhood" if you know what I mean. But now, I've turned this thread into "how can I upgrade my ugly kitchen" instead of "what do you all think of white cabinets". Really, I just wanted to know what the jury says on white cabinets these days.

Sanrene, did you paint your cabinets white? And I wonder how it would look to paint them dark red or something along those lines. I just like warm homey homes, not sterile stainless steel everything. Just my style.

Old 01-02-2009, 08:23 PM

648 posts, read 1,863,363 times
talk of cabinet color came up yesterday with my realtor. she said the color of my cabinets was "beautiful." i don't know what color they are technically, but they are a brown shade with a little warm orange to them....almost a mahogany color. she said she was soo sick of oak! i never thought the color of my cabinets was "beautiful" they just came with the house! so, it's all about personal taste, remember, you have to live with them!! i really like white cabinets, i don't care what someone else likes, it's my house. some of the homes i've looked at have the really dark cherry or walnut cabinets with dark granite counters and dark floors and black appliances......yuck!!! waaaay to formal for me and waaaay to dark!! i love light and bright like "somethings gotta give."

Old 01-02-2009, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Sanrene, did you paint your cabinets white? And I wonder how it would look to paint them dark red or something along those lines. I just like warm homey homes, not sterile stainless steel everything. Just my style.
Not my cabinets. All the 6-panel doors that were stained. All white now, along with the trim.

Why don't you post a pic of your cabs - that might be easier to help you. Get yourself a kitchen mag or two. I've seen some really sharp cabinets in light sage green, dark blue, gray. I don't like red necessarily, but it could work if you coordinate.

With painted cabs you have a lot of options as far as paint goes, but it would have to flow with the rest of the kitchen/colors. The most important thing is the prep work. Scuffing/sanding, degreasing, priming, light sanding, painting, light sanding, painting, very light sanding, and then a finish coat.

Old 01-03-2009, 09:47 AM
CBB

481 posts, read 1,477,800 times
I just painted the kitchen cabinets of our house in Ponte Vedra which is up for rent now. The cabinets are some cheap melamine, offwhite outside and grayish inside, slab fronts (which I like). I took the doors, drawers, handles and hinges off. The hinges and handles went into the dishwasher and after they dried I rubbed the hinges with some oil. Then I cleaned the cabinets, doors and drawers, patched some holes, sanded, and painted everything white with a cabinet paint. It worked pretty well and looks very good, clean and fresh. It's a small kitchen and it's a rental, so investing $30 in paint was the way to go.

When we renovate the house for ourselves, we'll take the whole thing out anyway. But we'll probably put in another white kitchen, maybe with simple shaker style fronts and beachy colors. I like white kitchens and don't care what HGTV or the experts say.

Old 01-04-2009, 12:52 PM

4,153 posts, read 6,636,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CBB View Post
I just painted the kitchen cabinets of our house in Ponte Vedra which is up for rent now. The cabinets are some cheap melamine, offwhite outside and grayish inside, slab fronts (which I like). I took the doors, drawers, handles and hinges off. The hinges and handles went into the dishwasher and after they dried I rubbed the hinges with some oil. Then I cleaned the cabinets, doors and drawers, patched some holes, sanded, and painted everything white with a cabinet paint. It worked pretty well and looks very good, clean and fresh. It's a small kitchen and it's a rental, so investing $30 in paint was the way to go.

When we renovate the house for ourselves, we'll take the whole thing out anyway. But we'll probably put in another white kitchen, maybe with simple shaker style fronts and beachy colors. I like white kitchens and don't care what HGTV or the experts say.

Excellent!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating