Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2009, 05:46 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,023,398 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by plaidmom View Post
The cabinets were painted (stained?) a dark grey/green....
This caught my eye. We have a paneled wood ceiling in our diningroom, adjacent to (and encompassing) the kitchen. Our builder was getting ready to stain it green when my husband stopped him, and he instead kept it the natural light wood color. I'm really glad my husband stopped him.
Thanks for the detailed report, Plaidmom.
Sounds like white cabinets are just fine. We have dark wood floors, too, which looks nice but is terrible if you have large dogs.

Old 01-08-2009, 07:57 AM

1,367 posts, read 5,740,872 times
Geez, I really hope they can be stylish since we just put white cabinets in our nearly-done new kitchen! I normally like dark cabinets, but with the counter tops, wall color, and appliances we are doing white looks AMAZING!

Cabinets are painted oak (stock from Lowes, I painted them)
Counters are dark brown/gray sandstone 2'x2' from Solistone
Backsplash is a strip of the counter tile and then a stone mosaic also Solistone
Walls are a dark mocha
Appliances are all smooth white (not the cheaper bumpy white)

Originally I wanted stainless appliances, but they are much to expensive and high-maintainance for the type of home we live in. With the darker walls, backsplash, and counter the white appliances and cabinets really stand out and look sharp. It looks intentional and part of the design scheme, not like we just got lazy/boring and picked white.

I think white works in some kitchens if it intentionally chosen. I think each room should reflect the house itself, not all houses are best served by kitchens with dark cabinets, stainless appliances, granite, etc. And, just personally, I wonder if that look is on its way out anyways. With all the fake stainless and fake cabinets made to look like cherry and cheap granite for sale, it's only a matter of time before that look no longer represents top-of-the-line.

Old 01-08-2009, 03:20 PM

2,058 posts, read 5,862,062 times
Oh so you have white appliances too? We also have white appliances and were wondering how they would look in a white kitchen. Your kitchen sounds really nice. I'm glad I'm not the only one who doesn't go for the cherry cabinet, granite, ss combo. PS I'd love to see a pic of your kitchen if you have one.

Old 01-08-2009, 04:03 PM

1,367 posts, read 5,740,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandycat View Post
Oh so you have white appliances too? We also have white appliances and were wondering how they would look in a white kitchen. Your kitchen sounds really nice. I'm glad I'm not the only one who doesn't go for the cherry cabinet, granite, ss combo. PS I'd love to see a pic of your kitchen if you have one.
We are just finishing it up, I will post pics as soon as it's done! We are really happy with our white appliances, although it took a little work to find a fridge that was the smooth white and still affordable (ended up with a refurbished from Lowes). We weren't sure about the cabinets either, but luckily they look good! I think the white appliances look nicer having the cabinets white too, it looks more intentional instead of like we were just too cheap to buy stainless, haha!

Old 01-08-2009, 04:35 PM

5,715 posts, read 15,045,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandycat View Post
First, let me start by saying that I happen to like white cabinets with a black counter and wood floors. To me, that would be a nice kitchen. But it seems that it's all about the cherry and dark woods which in my opinion create a real formal look. Someone here mentioned that white cabinets are totally out of fashion, but a designer on an HGTV show mentioned that white is coming back in.

What's the final verdict on white cabinets? yes or no?
If you pick up the most current Home magazines you'll find that white, painted cabinets are in style.

White cabinets are classic. They can be farmhouse, classic or contemporary - depending upon the way you finish the look.

You're the one who needs to love your kitchen!

Old 01-08-2009, 04:35 PM

4,156 posts, read 11,010,718 times
Inspired by Plaidmom!

I happened to pick up a copy of Woman's Day Special Interest Publications Kitchens & Baths Winter 2008-2009.

The Front Cover is kitchen with WHITE CABINETS(with Carrera Marble countertops)

The Back Cover is a KraftMaid kitchen picture with WHITE CABINETS even with a matching white wood stove hood cover!

Out of 10 photos inside of kitchen cabinets either in adverts. or full layouts, 7 had WHITE CABINETS...

Not even 1 had the "builder's special" of cherry veneer cabinets with dark granite slab countertops and stainless steel appliance combo.

Just thought you'd like to know!

Old 01-08-2009, 05:23 PM

1,318 posts, read 5,272,316 times
Just bought a new home,and no white cabinets(not sure,think its honey
colored maple?) Anyhoo, white cabinets are growing on me. At first I thought
they were tacky,but as I see more and more tastefully done ones, me
likey.

Greenchili

Old 01-13-2009, 10:13 AM

3,463 posts, read 7,306,337 times
Here is a picture of a brand new $1 million price class house that is almost completed (no cooktop hood or refrigerator has been installed yet) with custom handmade white cabinets. I think it's absolutely beautiful! This kitchen would just not look right with cherry, oak, maple, etc. cabinets. Plus, darker cabinets makes the kitchen darker and gives the appearance it is less open and smaller.

Old 01-13-2009, 11:19 AM

10,447 posts, read 49,658,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kootr View Post
Here is a picture of a brand new $1 million price class house that is almost completed (no cooktop hood or refrigerator has been installed yet) with custom handmade white cabinets. I think it's absolutely beautiful! This kitchen would just not look right with cherry, oak, maple, etc. cabinets. Plus, darker cabinets makes the kitchen darker and gives the appearance it is less open and smaller.
Wow you arer really trying to sell your point. This post by you is an exact word for word duplicate of the one in the HOUSE forum on white cabinets.

Just because you like it does not make it in style. If you like white then go for it. That dont make you bad or strange.

Just realize that the vast majority DO NOT like white cabinets. And in these times when there are only perhaps 6 home buyers in the entire country (hah) you need to appeal to the larger number of home buyer tastes rather then a smaller taste. So dont buy cherry if you hate it, even though home buyers love it. Do what YOU like.

And as I already said in the HOUSE forum, I cant give the damn things away and my white kitchen display is the 2nd on the left as you walk in the door. It's all decked out with options but customers walk right past it. And it is a fact that the majority of customers in my store walk right to the dark cherry paprika kitchen display with the black onyx countertop. They make for it like a magnet is drawing them in. Few ever stop to look a the white kitchen and I have 13 kitchens.

Old 01-13-2009, 11:55 AM

3,463 posts, read 7,306,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
Wow you arer really trying to sell your point. This post by you is an exact word for word duplicate of the one in the HOUSE forum on white cabinets.

Just because you like it does not make it in style. If you like white then go for it. That dont make you bad or strange.

Just realize that the vast majority DO NOT like white cabinets. And in these times when there are only perhaps 6 home buyers in the entire country (hah) you need to appeal to the larger number of home buyer tastes rather then a smaller taste. So dont buy cherry if you hate it, even though home buyers love it. Do what YOU like.

And as I already said in the HOUSE forum, I cant give the damn things away and my white kitchen display is the 2nd on the left as you walk in the door. It's all decked out with options but customers walk right past it. And it is a fact that the majority of customers in my store walk right to the dark cherry paprika kitchen display with the black onyx countertop. They make for it like a magnet is drawing them in. Few ever stop to look a the white kitchen and I have 13 kitchens.
You are no doubt dealing with builders and re-modelers of low-end to average houses and apartments. I really like high quality full coverage cherry cabinets, but I also like high quality white cabinets too. There is nothing cleaner and prettier than a kitchen with beautiful high-end or custom made white cabinets. Obviously your customers set the tone for what you carry and sell, which I suspect is mostly low-end stuff. I was just pointing out that white kitchen cabinets can be highly desirable and stunningly beautiful...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating