U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2009, 09:44 PM

857 posts, read 4,627,237 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
Those turned out really lovely. Do you have a before pic?
Unfortunately I didn't have a digital camera handy when I closed on the house so I don't have pictures of the cabinets as they were originally. I just closed on another fixer-upper and took some before pix so I will post them with the "after" pix as soon as I finish painting the cabinets.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2009, 03:00 PM

29,071 posts, read 28,059,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nolagirl View Post
I am trying to determine if I can just have a painter spray them, or if I need to go with a company. If you google cabinet refininishing you will see what I am referring to.
When I was going to have my kitchen cabinets painted, face frames were going to be painted with a brush. The doors were to be sprayed at his shop. Yes, that is possible.

Old 01-27-2009, 03:09 PM

890 posts, read 4,063,486 times
I have 20 year old custom oak cabinets that I just recently finished painting and glazing. It took me 2 months. We updated the countertops, appliances, lighting and floors, but the old oak looked like a disconnect and I wasn't happy that everything else look so new and the cabinets still looked old, so I painted them. I couldn't be happier. As you can see it has come a long way.

Pictures from previous owner (yuck):

After some updates by us:

Today:

Last edited by scjj; 01-27-2009 at 03:26 PM..

Old 01-27-2009, 03:54 PM

35,883 posts, read 70,061,886 times
Wow - looks like a totally new kitchen! And your floors are gorgeous, too. I really like the dark island. You did a super job!!!

Old 01-27-2009, 06:13 PM

What an excellent transformation. Amazing what a little imagination and some elbow grease will accomplish, isn't it?

Old 01-27-2009, 11:53 PM

1,214 posts, read 4,573,140 times
I really love the backsplash. The whole kitchen looks bigger and brighter!

Old 01-31-2009, 11:23 AM

1,187 posts, read 2,115,170 times
That transformation is totally amazing. If you had said that you were painting the island black and the cabinets white, I would have probably winced. But, I love it. It just all works so well. I'm going to have the tell my s-i-l to look at your pic's. She has a blue wallpaper and similar oak cabinets. Her husband will probably kill me though!

Old 01-31-2009, 10:19 PM

1,570 posts, read 5,556,625 times
I've done both - hired a company and painted myself - in two different houses. Frankly, I'd do it myself. The important thing is to prep well - VERY WELL. It will take time and it's not a job you can rush. Use a trim roller to give a even coat of primer and paint. The local home store or pro paint store can suggest the right primers and paints. Spend a little extra on the material and take your time. It will look great!

Old 03-08-2009, 04:19 PM

Here are a few Before and After pics of a foreclosure I just finished working on. I removed some of the upper cabinets to make the kitchen look bigger, and I painted the cabinets a cream color. It really doesn't cost much to make a kitchen look a lot better.
Attached Thumbnails
painting kitchen cabinets - not realted to other posted-kitcha.jpg   painting kitchen cabinets - not realted to other posted-kitchb.jpg   painting kitchen cabinets - not realted to other posted-kitchena.jpg   painting kitchen cabinets - not realted to other posted-kitchenb.jpg  

Old 03-09-2009, 03:03 PM

4,334 posts, read 12,722,231 times
Good job! I love old, painted cabinets. Makes the room very warm. I like the idea of pulling those cabinets down, I would have done the same thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating