U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2009, 12:47 PM

264 posts, read 1,506,408 times

Advertisements

I am thinking of painting my kitchen cabinets a shade of cream. I was thinking of just having a painter paint them, but then saw a few vendors that do this at a home show. Does anyone have experience with one of the companies that takes the doors to their shop and redoes them. They say it is better than just having a painter paint them, but I am wondering if anyone has any experience and thinks the extra cost of these companies is worth it.

PS - I am not interested in one of those add on coatings, or a new cabinet door, just looking to do some sort of paint.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2009, 03:56 PM

43,856 posts, read 46,002,175 times
Why don't you just apply a good base coat and paint them yourself? Just make sure to number the door and drawers as you remove them and pick out some great new hardware.

Old 01-18-2009, 06:06 PM

857 posts, read 4,601,871 times
These cabinets were typical 1980s Dark Oak. I used a product called Liquid Sand (you just wipe it on to de-gloss the finish) One coat of primer, one coat of Semi-gloss with a brush and a 6" foam roller, and the kitchen looks completely different. I added trim to the cabinets, buut yours might already have it.
Attached Thumbnails
painting kitchen cabinets - not realted to other posted-img_1403_1.jpg  

Old 01-18-2009, 06:09 PM

1,654 posts, read 6,890,814 times
Personally, I think it's better to have them sprayed by a professional.

Old 01-18-2009, 07:40 PM

517 posts, read 2,337,743 times
Is it easy to spray them yourself? I was considering renting a sprayer from HomeDepot.

Old 01-18-2009, 08:10 PM

35,885 posts, read 69,634,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthmeetsSouth View Post
These cabinets were typical 1980s Dark Oak. I used a product called Liquid Sand (you just wipe it on to de-gloss the finish) One coat of primer, one coat of Semi-gloss with a brush and a 6" foam roller, and the kitchen looks completely different. I added trim to the cabinets, buut yours might already have it.
I LOVE what you did! It looks fantastic!!!

Old 01-18-2009, 08:55 PM

264 posts, read 1,506,408 times
I am trying to determine if I can just have a painter spray them, or if I need to go with a company. If you google cabinet refininishing you will see what I am referring to.

Old 01-18-2009, 09:27 PM

41,313 posts, read 41,108,184 times
Quote:
Those turned out really lovely. Do you have a before pic?

Quote:
I am trying to determine if I can just have a painter spray them, or if I need to go with a company. If you google cabinet refininishing you will see what I am referring to.
Get some quotes, but make sure you are comparing apples to apples - that they are both doing the same work. Cleaning, sanding, priming, sanding, 1 or 2 finish coats.

Old 01-19-2009, 08:00 AM

40,282 posts, read 49,794,534 times
This weekend I was watching one of the shows on HGTV and they used a new type of paint especially for kitchen cupboards. I'm sorry I can't be more specific, but I gather it's a polymer or vinyl that makes a nice smooth coating.
Failing that, I've always found that a high quality oil based paint makes a lovely, smooth coating on furniture and I bet it would wear well on kitchen cupboards.

Old 01-19-2009, 08:40 PM

857 posts, read 4,601,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenBo View Post
Is it easy to spray them yourself? I was considering renting a sprayer from HomeDepot.
I wouldn't rent a sprayer. Unless you are used to using one it will make quite a mess. Get a 6" foam roller and just roll it on. That type of roller gives a nice, even finish.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating