U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-03-2012, 05:05 PM

330 posts, read 832,596 times

Advertisements

I went with chrome in my bath remodel. It seems classic.....and cheaper as well. As the others said, match your finish on everything. In addition to this pic, I have chome doorknob, hinges, light, shower rod, shower hooks, etc.....all chrome.

For my other bath remodel, I may look into polished nickel. The other finishes I just don't like.
Attached Thumbnails
faucet choice: chrome, brushed nickel or oil-rubbed bronze-img_3666-2.jpg   faucet choice: chrome, brushed nickel or oil-rubbed bronze-img_3676-2.jpg  
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2012, 05:21 PM

10,081 posts, read 18,012,433 times
I personally like brushed/polished (not sure what the difference is) nickel, I think chrome looks cheap (that's the basic that comes in every apt., the cheapest to buy, etc.). I don't like bronze but I do agree that it depends on the style of everything else (and we won't even talk about the "gold-plated" stuff LOL)

Old 12-03-2012, 07:20 PM

221 posts, read 365,732 times
Default No more brass

We recently updated our 20 year old house with satin/brush nickel light fixtures and faucets in bathrooms and kitchen. It was nice to modernize it and get rid of the brass light fixtures and most of the chrome faucets that started to rust. I picked brush nickel to give the house a casual look and feel to it.

While I like to see the oil rubbed bronze look in magazine photos and model homes, it was too formal for what I wanted in our house. But I can appreciate that it's elegant looking and more upscale with the right set of furniture and cabinetry to go with it.

Old 12-03-2012, 10:08 PM

13,265 posts, read 11,150,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chemteacher View Post
Thanks for everyone's replies. I think I will go with chrome in all of the bathrooms and then I can spend more money on my kitchen! I guess I should also be glad my builder uses moen faucets!
As for the kitchen. I have chosen stainless steel appliances, stainless sink and cream maple cabinets with a glaze. I was thinking I would go with a stainless faucet. Do you think it is ok to go with a darker metal cabinet hardware. I thought it would contrast nicely with the cabinets.
Also does the metal on the light fixtures have to match the faucets?
IMO the metal on the light fixtures should be of the same metal, or should match something else in the room. I think a darker cabinet hardware is probably very nice with the faucet you have chosen. You could repeat the dark metal on the kitchen light fixture.

I think stainless sinks are the best, but there are different grades and weights available. Get the best you can afford. (I now have a white porcelain sink, and I wish devoutly it was stainless!) I personally love stainless in a kitchen, and if it suits you, then I can't imagine that it will be a bad choice.

Old 12-22-2012, 09:53 PM

11,544 posts, read 24,324,940 times
Chrome is practical, rugged, easy to clean, and found in most houses. And there are no surprises. What I do in all my bathrooms is install the chrome faucets with interchangeable handles. Each set is different. In my 100 year old Craftsman I used the Oak/white porceline set. In my current house I use the chrome/porceline sets.

The kitchen is another matter. I use the Moen or American model / high neck that hides the pull out sprayer. It is better constructed and has better water pressure than the stand-alone sprayer that is beside a regular kitchen faucet. It is really great for watering plants, too.

PS: I find the most interesting ceiling and pocket lights at Menards. I like Lowe's for plumbing fixture, toilets, 12x12 floor lay down tile and ceiling fan/light kits. If you pay close attention to home improvement ads you can often find these items on sale at very good prices as new stock/styles are arriving.

It is amazing how much you can save and update your house too without a major renovation. New hardware and a coat of paint can liven up outdated cabinets. So will a new face (doors, hinges and front) which is 1/3 the cost of new cabinets. If you're on a budget, it is easy enough to do small things that really pop when you are finished.

Old 12-28-2012, 10:57 AM

3,391 posts, read 7,119,914 times
I can't stand anything trendy and I despise fashion victims. In my current home (5 years ago) I used brass in the bathrooms because I like it. By then it was already unfashionable but for me it says luxury. (I am on the east coast and it was never as common here as it was in the west) BTW I still see it used in very high end luxury properties. I reserve chrome for the kitchen, utility or laundry room.

Old 01-18-2013, 10:13 PM
dgz

800 posts, read 2,840,021 times
I liked brushed nickel. I moved into a house that was built fairly recently (2001), but it has this shiny cheap-looking yellowish metal everywhere (is this brass)? I'm gradually going through the bathrooms and kitchen and replacing the faucets and fixtures with brushed nickel. A question though... all the door handles throughout the house are still the shiny yellow metal--including the ones in the bathrooms. Would you replace these too? Or is that excessive?

Old 01-22-2013, 06:50 AM

15,035 posts, read 22,753,278 times
I like and have oile rebbed bronze, it fits my decor really well, and i like it. if it goes out of style in the next few years, i will still have it. i am not changing any time soon. it would be easier to just stop watching HGTV.

Old 03-07-2013, 10:39 PM
dgz

800 posts, read 2,840,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingo13 View Post
I like brushed nickel myself - rubbed bronze looks more country or antiquey to me (but if that's your taste great) - I don't care for chrome, it looks cheap in my opinion.

I think it all depends on your decor.
I agree. Chrome reminds me of the cheap hardware that builders would put in houses years back. I think brushed nickel is more versatile. Rubbed bronze door handles for example would look fine in one of my rooms that has more antique furniture but less so in my den which has more modern style furniture. I also find it humorous that one of the earlier posts on this thread (2007?) suggested that brushed nickel was on its way out... but 6 years later, nickel (brushed or satin ) seems to be everywhere.

Last edited by dgz; 03-07-2013 at 10:52 PM..

Old 03-10-2013, 08:48 PM

1,136 posts, read 1,311,355 times
Spend a couple hundred bucks on a hi-quality, single-lever, heavy-metal and advanced designed chrome bathroom faucet and it neither looks nor feels cheap when you use it.
Home Depot common-man chrome looks and feels like crap in comparison.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or