U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2009, 07:05 PM

107 posts, read 287,108 times
Default faucet choice: chrome, brushed nickel or oil-rubbed bronze

Hello,
I am building a house and I need to make all of the design decisions and I am having trouble deciding on faucet metals. The brushed nickel and oil-rubbed bronze are significantly more expensive than chrome. Are these choices trendy or just more expensive? Is chrome dated or timeless?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2009, 10:01 PM

Location: where nothin ever grows. no rain or rivers flow, TX
2,028 posts, read 5,514,184 times
brushed nickel is great but also less uglier when it gets dirty with lime/soap scum

Old 02-09-2009, 10:03 PM

914 posts, read 1,834,545 times
The choices are trendy. Chrome has been a little out the last few years but now that everyone is getting off the brush-nickel band wagon and bronze is picking up, chrome should probably be back in in a few years. And it will never be as out as the 1980s brass fixtures. (The 80s where to fixtures what the 70s are to color palettes.)

Just make sure your faucets match your other metal pieces (toilet handles, drawer pulls, nobs, chrome on any aplliances, light fixtures, etc) I will say that both brushed fixtures and the rubbed bronze are a lot more forgiving than chrome.

Old 02-10-2009, 04:01 AM

5,144 posts, read 10,645,360 times
You certainly do not need to make faucets uniform throughout the house...we have brushed nickle in the kitchen and two of our bathrooms and oil rubbed bronze in the other two bathrooms. You do have to take care to wipe off oil rubbed bronze after use.

Old 02-10-2009, 02:13 PM

24,226 posts, read 28,505,746 times
Chrome is classic; the others are trends.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpeatie View Post
And it will never be as out as the 1980s brass fixtures.
Until brass comes back in again ... and it will.

Old 02-10-2009, 09:19 PM

3,021 posts, read 7,213,983 times
I completely agree with Ohiogirl. Brushed nickle is fading out of fashion. Oil-rubbed bronze has grown in popularity over the last 2 years, but it won't last forever. Chrome, however, is a pretty classic finish, so I think it's the safest bet.

Old 02-10-2009, 09:47 PM

10,542 posts, read 13,511,850 times
The only metal that does not rust, flake or need extraoridanry care is stainless steel. Brushed chrome is a nightmare to clean and it never looks like it did in the box. .Cheap chrome has a short life if it is used a lot. However faucets from Moen last a lifetime and have an excellent warranty. Chrome also comes in a dozen different designs. What's hot in NY won't be found in CA., and vice versa. However most plumbing stores have special order catalogs. If you have softened water - I use potassium choloride because it is eco-freindly, - chrome is easy to clean with soap and hot water, and it holds a spot free shine with little effort.. If you have a guest bath that doesn't get much use, put fancy faucets in it, elsewise, faucets are built to be used and abused. You won't be diappointed with stainless steel.

Footnote: Guests are more likely to be impressed wtih the 72" HD flat panel and jazzed up kitchen than they are with faucets. The kitchen is the selling point of every house. and the one place you should invest an obscene amount of money. A fancy kitchen with all the bells and whistles and plenty or work space can net up to $25k more in the selling price. This is where the Moen faucet belongs.

I would never install a country sink in a kitchen because they are not practical for hand washing dishes after a dinner for twelve. I had an English sink that was the pips. It had one large deep sink on one side, and a smaller deep sink on the other. I could easily put all the dishes, glasses and silverware from a party of six in the larger side and still have room for more dishes. Take your tape measure with you and don't let cosmetics, or something you see on tv, sell you on something "cool" [fad] that is impracticle to use everyday. I've bougnt and sold houses for 25 years. Before I invested a penny in upgrades, I spent two years studying what women wanted n the kitchen, as well as looking at plumbing. It is amazing what you can buy on sale that will net a fair profit if is staged right.

Last edited by linicx; 06-24-2011 at 07:06 PM..

Old 02-11-2009, 07:01 AM

24,226 posts, read 28,505,746 times
Quote:
I spent two years studying what women wanted n the kitchen
A maid.

Old 02-11-2009, 02:57 PM

107 posts, read 287,108 times
Default thanks for your help- two more questions

Thanks for everyone's replies. I think I will go with chrome in all of the bathrooms and then I can spend more money on my kitchen! I guess I should also be glad my builder uses moen faucets!
As for the kitchen. I have chosen stainless steel appliances, stainless sink and cream maple cabinets with a glaze. I was thinking I would go with a stainless faucet. Do you think it is ok to go with a darker metal cabinet hardware. I thought it would contrast nicely with the cabinets.
Also does the metal on the light fixtures have to match the faucets?

Old 02-11-2009, 05:45 PM

217 posts, read 599,613 times
Chrome is a good choice. Brushed Nickel is slowly fading out as the satin and oil rubbed bronze finishes are moving in, but like antique brass, I doubt this newest trend will last to long. For the kitchen the SS finish would be the choice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating