U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 02-19-2009, 11:36 AM

797 posts, read 1,786,212 times

Advertisements

Kitchen will be torn out. The space is 12x18. We want to make a L-shaped kitchen, but the kicker is the island. We want to have an 8 ft. island which would have seating for 6. The island would face into the kitchen space and the back of the seating would have about 3 ft and would be against the wall that is the dining room on the other side. There would be about 4 ft. from the island to the sink area (what is the long part of the L) Got that?

My husband is having second thoughts about the island. He's afraid the wall behind the seating will seem odd in that the room doesn't open into antoher space. On either side of the island will be an opening to the dining room or the family room, so it isn't all closed off. I imagined putting a super large picture/painting on that wall or something really artsy on it to provide balance.

Any feedback on the island? Our original design was a large U-shaped kitchen with a banquet built in on the corner. Hubby wasn't crazy about that--thought it seemed dated. I was on the fence as to whether a banquet is dated or not.

Thanks if you got this far!
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2009, 11:49 AM

3,517 posts, read 8,685,515 times
Worrying about whether something is dated is useless. I look at magazines that say this feature is so yesterday and rip it out and put in something else. Then the next month, they have a kitchen nearly identical in space and design to the end design of the previous month and proceed to put in exactly the feature they said was outdated and didn't work in the last month's article.

The better question is how do you cook and eat in your family? Is eating at a counter uncomfortable so that people don't want to do that, or is eating in the kitchen so much desired that you are bumping into people eating in there because there is no place to put them out of the way? If the latter, then your plan is a good one. The aisle space is good - 4' is good between counters. 3' will give space to sit, move chairs and walk on that side of the counter. There are lots of things you can do with the wall. A big painting could work. Wainscoting would decorate and break up the expanse. Or if you really don't like it, tear it out and open up the kitchen to the dining room. Or you could build in a narrow pantry in the wall cavity space.

Old 02-19-2009, 01:18 PM

5,154 posts, read 9,367,009 times
My preference would be to take out the wall so it it opens to the dining area. This way you can recover the 3' of "wasted" space taken by the seating. I personally think that 4' would be crowded if 2 or 3 people were working in the kitchen and obviously I prefer open areas.

Old 02-19-2009, 01:38 PM

Default dining room wall has to stay

Wish we could. There's an overhead beam that's sturctural in the wall. It wouldn't be recessed if we opened the wall space. It's costly, so as it stands, we're stuck with the wall between the dining room and kitchen.

Old 02-19-2009, 01:40 PM

25,396 posts, read 31,788,879 times
Why does the island have to be so huge? Make the island smaller, skip the seating, and leave space for an old-fashioned kitchen table.

Old 02-19-2009, 01:58 PM

2,429 posts, read 3,124,233 times
Too much seating for an island in the middle of the kitchen. Anything over three is pushing it. An island should be for informal eating for a couple of people, snacks or breakfast for the kids or hanging out having a glass of wine while visiting with the cook; not seating for six.
I like the idea of a table too.

Old 02-19-2009, 03:24 PM

10,427 posts, read 29,656,482 times
Your husband is right. You can not have a wall behind an island. I mean you can just like you can paint cabinets but it is the wrong thing to do and looks horrible not to mention breaks all the rules set forth in ergonomics.

I cant design your kitchen from here but I can help you do it properly. Keep in mind that by code you must have a minimum of 42' around the island in every direction. Also when designing the island, cabinets only come in 3 depths. 24" deep bases, 12" deep uppers, and 21" deep vanities. You can use these sizes in any combination to design a custom island while maintaining your 42" rule.

With these sizes you can do back to back bases creating a 48" deep island. If that is too deep then you can do a base cabinet and a wall cabinet back to back while building a false toe kick under the wall cabinet. You now have created a 36" deep island. (the base face frame will be the same 30" high as a 30" high wall cabinet face frame, this is why it matches up) Only the best kitchen designers can figure out this simple task along with a skilled installer. You can also combine twin bathroom vanities back to back to create a 42" deep island. Using vanities you have to use what they call adult height since old standard vanity height is 3" shorter then kitchen bases. Modern bathroom vanities are the same height as the kitchen. Simple stuff.

Now think about your cantilevered overhang where you will be sitting. Any overhang less then 10" you can get away without corbels. Anything over 10" and the granite guy will start to hollar at you and for good reason. If you measure from where your belt is to your knee cap you will find that 10" is not so bad. I say this because many people HATE corbels in the way of their knees as well as their sitting chairs and how they insist on arranging them.

So after considering your cantilevered overhang, add that 10" to the depth of a standard base cabinet. In other words if you only have 36" room to spare using the 42" rule then you can only use a standard 24" base cabinet plus your 10" overhang to be at your available 36".

Did all that make sense? I have only done about 8000 kitchens in the past 3 decades so sometimes I talk too fast because it becomes robotic. Any questions you can ask away

Old 02-19-2009, 08:26 PM

1,106 posts, read 2,460,871 times
It sounds like the island will be too large for that space and won't feel balanced with the layout of the rest of the kitchen. I personally love the look of banquettes done tastefully.

Old 02-19-2009, 08:30 PM

41,267 posts, read 24,702,913 times
Quote:
My husband is having second thoughts about the island.
Smart guy. I agree with the others, especially having an island right next to a wall. Can you post a pic of your layout?

Old 02-20-2009, 08:33 AM

Default big gamily

Quote:
Originally Posted by T. Damon View Post
Too much seating for an island in the middle of the kitchen. Anything over three is pushing it. An island should be for informal eating for a couple of people, snacks or breakfast for the kids or hanging out having a glass of wine while visiting with the cook; not seating for six.
I like the idea of a table too.
We have 4 children and the seating if for the entire family. The island would be for eating/prep work/ kids doing homework.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating