U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-23-2009, 11:26 AM

281 posts, read 874,628 times

Advertisements

We need help! My husband and I are stuck trying to figure out what color to paint our bedroom. Our problem is that we can't think of what color goes with our comforter - it's an eucalyptus and chocolate comforter from Restoration Hardware. We painted our bathroom a light, sage/eucalyptus green, but are stuck on the bedroom!! We also have vaulted ceilings - one wall in our room reaches 12 ft high - so I'm worried that darker colors will be overwhelming. We were thinking a rust/gold/orange kind of color.

So c'mon - lay your paint opinions on me!
Attached Thumbnails
Fill me with your paint advice!-new_house_052.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2009, 12:22 PM

21,338 posts, read 7,355,232 times
Seeing more pics of the room would help a lot. What else is in there and the tones of those things... what's your style preference? Asian modern? What are you thinking of adding for window treatments? A fabric or a natural rattan blind etc? We need more to go on than just what you've presented. Sorry.

Old 03-23-2009, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoastalMaine View Post
Seeing more pics of the room would help a lot. What else is in there and the tones of those things... what's your style preference? Asian modern? What are you thinking of adding for window treatments? A fabric or a natural rattan blind etc? We need more to go on than just what you've presented. Sorry.
There's not much else in there - a dresser to match the bed with a large mirror, a large black and white portrait, and an el cheapo piece of art above the bed. The art is about 30 inches long x 15 high - it has 3 sections - a tree, some paisley thing and some leaves - it has some eucalyptus colors and some gold/red/orange tones in it. Oh, and there's also a flat panel tv mounted on the opposite wall.

We don't have our heart set on any "theme", nor have we even thought about window treatments.

My husband likes modern, vivid and dark colors, whereas I prefer pastels and a more "homey" feel. Ha! That probably doesn't help at all, does it?

I think the main thing is that we keep the comforter set - it cost us $300+. I guess I'd just like to hear what other folks would do to decorate around the comforter. Everything else (besides the portrait and the tv) are interchangeable.

Old 03-23-2009, 03:01 PM

3,131 posts, read 10,269,037 times
I would point you to the benjamin moore website. they have tons of paint colors and a variety of room choices that you can select to "paint" your colors on. this gives you an idea of how things look together. or go to the store with your pillow sham and look for contrasting colors. you might also try a higher end furniture store that has an in-store designer. you might be able to get some free advice that way.

Old 03-24-2009, 07:58 AM

141 posts, read 534,674 times
I would go with a warm taupe or cream. Benjamin Moore is a great place to start, you could visit the store and speak with the consultnat (and bring this photo).
Off the top of my head maybe look at BM Linen White, Natural Wicker, Barely Beige, Blond Wood, Everlasting, Shaker Beige..all depending on how dark you want to go. Restoration also has some great paints which could work and less to choose from (which in my opinion can be a benefit!): RH Latte is nice and the shade lighter I believe. Good luck, I'm still searching for my perfect beige and it's driven me to the brink of insanity a few times .
PS: I actually was looking into buying the same bedding...do you recommend it..is it soft enough (compared to the higher thread count options)?

Old 03-24-2009, 08:20 AM

Thanks for all your advice!

I do think that a warm beige/tan might be the best way to go. We were trying to steer away from that color though, as our main living areas are a similar color (I believe it's Behr Gobi Desert). Should we just continue the same color, or use something similar but in a different hue/darkness/whatever, or should we use something contrasting??

This whole paint business is so difficult!! I wish interior decorators were cheaper so we could have someone else make all the tough decisions for us!

Jubileefd, I LOVE our bedding. I find it to be super soft and comfy. It is sateen though, so after the first wash it will lose some of it's "lustre". But it's definitely comfortable and (I think) very classy looking!

Old 03-24-2009, 09:35 PM

1,654 posts, read 6,603,294 times
Benjamin Moore Silver Sage. Trust me.

Old 03-24-2009, 11:48 PM

128 posts, read 992,694 times
How about gray with blue undertones (or even a blue...but a grey-blue) on the wall would look nice.

Jeanne

Old 03-31-2009, 11:18 AM

Location: where nothin ever grows. no rain or rivers flow, TX
2,028 posts, read 7,333,587 times
a darker sage green. thats how we have our japanese style bedroom. my wife is japanese lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating