Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2009, 12:15 PM

34 posts, read 167,997 times

Advertisements

Thanks Cali, all good suggestions. I will measure the couch, love seat and side board, etc... and post the measurements. I think I would prefer to work with the first few suggestions and not look to dry-wall any of the openings. I do agree it would give more options. Would you use both end table and lamps? o!r eliminate one set? Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2009, 01:29 PM

Hi All, Cali I measured the furniture, the sofa is 95" long and about 38" deep, the love seat is 68" long and the same depth as the sofa. The end tables are approx. 26" squares and the coffee table is a 43" round. Our side board is 66" long and 24" deep at the widest point. Hope this helps and thanks again.

Old 04-06-2009, 02:21 PM

Location: When things get hot they expand. Im not fat. Im hot.
2,515 posts, read 6,325,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgoldie View Post

Even better - If, you're not a reader you could always make that labeled livingroom a formal dining room which would be very nice as it's adjacent to the patio as well as the kitchen, and make the marked dining room the formal living room. No one says just because a room is labeled as such in the plans that it has to be used that way. Beautiful house btw.
You beat me to it. When I look at your floor plan I think this swap makes a lot more sense. This would make the dining room much more accessable to the kitchen. Its present location seems out of the loop to me. I think it would be a lot easier to fit dining furniture into the space. And you and your diners would have a much better view.

Personally I think you would get a lot more use out of the space this way.. I can see it being used for informal family meals as well as formal dining. Think of it as an extension to your family room. Card parties? JIgsaw puzzle on the table? Working the Sunday crossword? A true multi purpose room with a great view and lots of light. Not sure of your lifestyle but you get the picture.

IMO. The existing dining room would make a much better formal living room since its right by the entrance. Just a thought. Since you have a family room wiill you actually use a formal living room. A lot of people like to turn this space into an office/library.

Also it seems kinda silly to me to have a formal living room and a family room almost right next to each other. Usually when you entertain someone in your formal living room you dont want them to see your family stuff.

Old 04-06-2009, 05:57 PM

1,830 posts, read 5,349,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cvdn View Post
Hi All, Cali I measured the furniture, the sofa is 95" long and about 38" deep, the love seat is 68" long and the same depth as the sofa. The end tables are approx. 26" squares and the coffee table is a 43" round. Our side board is 66" long and 24" deep at the widest point. Hope this helps and thanks again.
Oh wow, you've got the biggest couch possible. Just under 8 ft long, and your longest solid wall is just over 8 ft. The only way you can use an end table with the couch is if you put the couch on the diagonal with the end table against the wall. I think you either need smaller furniture or try the dining room switch several have suggested. It's a shame because your things are so nice. I'm sure you want to keep them if possible.

Is the dining room windowless? Hmm, they could have taken out the 20' long utility area and moved the kitchen to the outside wall, giving the kitchen a window and giving the LR more space. Then scoot the powder room up against the kitchen wall, and its old space plus the area where the water heater is could be the new utility area. I know, not an option.

You can get a room designer set of to-scale furniture cutouts and a room grid, or a computer room designer program, and play with different arrangements. Or you can make your hubby move everything around until you find an arrangement you like.

Old 04-06-2009, 06:09 PM

Thanks for all the time and thought you have put into this. It is appreciated, really. I think we will play around with all your suggestions. I have changed out the LV room and dining room in other houses, but I really don't want to have to do that here. As difficult as the decorative columns are, I like them. They give the room a "special" look when you enter the house and are in the entrance foyer, looking out onto the lake. We love the house and can't wait to move in, but I found the one immediate "fault" with the house was the no window issue for the dining room. I could deal with that. Is your "favorite" selection for this room, the one where you would place the furniture on angles? I think we have to eliminate love seat, possibly put it in the mstr. bdrm.(don't know if you noticed from pictures, but the furniture in the mstr. and LV rm are about the same). Let me know what you think. Thanks again, and if and when we get this "down" I will try and post pictures. "Talk" with you soon

Old 04-06-2009, 07:39 PM

1,830 posts, read 5,349,309 times
It's a lovely house and I bet the living room feels very open and roomy with the columns. I especially like the patio sheltered between the 3 rooms, and hearing that it opens onto a lake makes it sound even more lovely. It's just that you happen to have large-scale furniture.

Personally, I'd switch out the sofa before I switched out the rooms. With your current pieces, I think your best option is to arrange the LR room on the diagonal, and I agree about moving the loveseat to the MB.

Looking forward to pictures once you get settled.

Old 04-06-2009, 08:47 PM

3,360 posts, read 12,266,758 times
Drawing it out on graph paper is what I rely on and it's saved me a lot of problems. You could always put your matching LR/DR furniture in the large family room and use the designated LR for a grand pool table, and the DR as an office/den. Much of your decision will have to do with your personal lifestyle.

Old 04-07-2009, 06:58 AM

[quote=hcgCali;8218095]It's a lovely house and I bet the living room feels very open and roomy with the columns. I especially like the patio sheltered between the 3 rooms, and hearing that it opens onto a lake makes it sound even more lovely. It's just that you happen to have large-scale furniture.

Personally, I'd switch out the sofa before I switched out the rooms. With your current pieces, I think your best option is to arrange the LR room on the diagonal, and I agree about moving the loveseat to the MB.

Looking forward to pictures once you get settled.[/quot

Good Morning, I just saw this response and we agree and are leaning toward the diagonal placement of the furniture for the LV room. I just hope the love seat will fit in the Mstr. bdrm. Now we need to see how this will fit! The house really is lovely and has a formal feel to it, especially the rooms in question. This is why I would not want to do the room switch. I welcome anyother suggestions you have regarding the placement of furniture throughout the house. Thanks!

Old 04-10-2009, 01:34 AM

7 posts, read 32,381 times
Default Re : Furniture Pacement

Congratulation for your new Home with beautiful LV room . First you mark those area which you want for sitting and then you manage all about your requirement.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating