U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-04-2009, 02:06 PM

34 posts, read 158,001 times

Advertisements

Hi, this is my first post here and welcome any and all advice. We recently bought a new home(new construction), and the LV rm is beautiful, but confusing. I say this becase it has more arch-ways and decorative columns than wall space. It also has a set of french doors that lead to a covered patio, with a lake beyond that. There was no furnished model, so I am at a loss on furniture layout. We have a couch, love seat, two end tables and lamps, coffee table, also have a lovely side board and mirror. We don't have to use all the furniture but, wanted ideas on the layout. The house is the "ruby" model in Oakmont Estates, Wellington Fl. just in case someone lives in one or knows someone who does. I can't seem to print the layout of the house on here, but if anyone would be so kind to look up Oakmont Estates in Wellington, Fl they have the floor plan there for the ruby model. Thanks so much in advance!!!!!
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2009, 03:24 PM

1,830 posts, read 5,059,105 times
Is this it?

Old 04-04-2009, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcgCali View Post
Is this it?
Hi, yes thats it. Any ideas????????? Thanks

Old 04-06-2009, 04:03 AM

It would help to know approximate dimensions. I'd put the sideboard and mirror on the wall by the patio door, because if you put the couch there, your company would be looking right into the kitchen. I'd opt for 2 chairs instead of the loveseat. With so little wall space, smaller pieces would be easier to place.

Old 04-06-2009, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcgCali View Post
It would help to know approximate dimensions. I'd put the sideboard and mirror on the wall by the patio door, because if you put the couch there, your company would be looking right into the kitchen. I'd opt for 2 chairs instead of the loveseat. With so little wall space, smaller pieces would be easier to place.
Thanks for the reply!! The dimensions of the LV room are 13'5'' 16'2'', with very high ceilings open to the second level of the house. I tried to post a picture of the floor plan and was unable to do so. Another kind board member did post it for me, but it is no longer here. if you go to www.centexhomes.com and "click" on the ruby model at Oakmont Estates, Wellington Florida it will be there. I will try again and welcome all the advice. I also have pictures of my LV room furnitue that we plan on using, not all the pieces as they will not fit. Thank you and look forward to your reply!!

Old 04-06-2009, 10:02 AM

Default Floor plan for Ruby model/need LV Help!!!

Ruby | Price $368,990 http://centexhomes.com/Images/builderimages/UnitedStates_193/Florida_22/SoutheastFlorida_21492/OakmontEstates_45994/Ruby_358859/PlanElevationShow/4065_el_A.jpg (broken link)
http://centexhomes.com/Images/builderimages/UnitedStates_193/Florida_22/SoutheastFlorida_21492/OakmontEstates_45994/Ruby_358859/PlanElevationShow/4065_el_B.jpg (broken link)

[CENTER]1
[/CENTER]

Zoom

Choose Elevation Colors
Add to My Favorites
Email a Friend

http://centexhomes.com/Images/builderimages/UnitedStates_193/Florida_22/SoutheastFlorida_21492/OakmontEstates_45994/Ruby_358859/PlanFloorplanShow/4065_fp_1.jpg (broken link)

Old 04-06-2009, 10:38 AM

3,360 posts, read 11,587,029 times
Interesting dilemna. I'd use the furniture you presently have in the family room, dining room and bonus room upstairs.

It would appear that the living room would lend itself best to a formal arrangement. I'd take that largest wall space and put a bookcase against it, and place four large wingback chairs around a square coffee table in the center of the room facing each other for conversation.

Even better - If, you're not a reader you could always make that labeled livingroom a formal dining room which would be very nice as it's adjacent to the patio as well as the kitchen, and make the marked dining room the formal living room. No one says just because a room is labeled as such in the plans that it has to be used that way. Beautiful house btw.

Old 04-06-2009, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgoldie View Post
Interesting dilemna. I'd use the furniture you presently have in the family room, dining room and bonus room upstairs.

It would appear that the living room would lend itself best to a formal arrangement. I'd take that largest wall space and put a bookcase against it, and place four large wingback chairs around a square coffee table in the center of the room facing each other for conversation.

Even better - If, you're not a reader you could always make that labeled livingroom a formal dining room which would be very nice as it's adjacent to the patio as well as the kitchen, and make the marked dining room the formal living room. No one says just because a room is labeled as such in the plans that it has to be used that way. Beautiful house btw.
Thank you, for the advice. Something to think about. We are leaning to us what we have for now in the living room(not all of it though)and somewhere down the road purchase a couple of new pieces. I am going to try and post a link or the pictures of our present living room furniture. Hopefully doing this will get some more responses on this, thanks again!!!!

Old 04-06-2009, 11:26 AM

Default Picture of LV room furniture, trying to place in new home

Stratus Virtual Tours

Hello everyone, thanks for the help so far. the link above is of the house we sold. If anyone would be so kind to take the time double click it and then you could hit the down arrow. There you can click on to the living room pictures. I hope this will give a better idea on how to place the living room furniture. Thank you again, and am excited to hear feedback!!!!

Old 04-06-2009, 11:47 AM

Ok, then each square on their grid is about 1-1/2 sq. feet. So the solid wall on the right at the entrance to the room is about 7-1/2 ft, the one on the left by the patio door is about 8-1/4 ft. and the wall on the right of the patio door is about 4-1/2 ft. . Including the columns, the little diagonal wall to the left of the entrance is about 4-1/2 ft, too. So the next big question is, what's the length of your couch, loveseat and sideboard?

You can either build your sitting arrangement at the patio end of the room... put the couch on the solid wall on the left, with the loveseat perpendicular to it, facing the patio door (about at the spot where it says "13.5") and put a chair on the diagonal at the wall to the left of the patio door. Then the sideboard and mirror would go on the wall to the right of the room entrance and a small table and lamp, or a small decorative chair, or a display cabinet for collectibles could go on the wall to the left of the entrance. Or, build the seating at the entrance end of the room, with the couch on the wall to the right, the loveseat perpendicular, facing the foyer, a chair on the diagonal at the small wall to the left of the entrance. Then the sideboard would go on the long wall by the patio door.

Third option: use the open diagonals, putting the couch at the front left, facing the family room entrance, and the loveseat on the back right, facing the couch, and a third chair diagonal at the back left, the sideboard again on the front right wall. You could also try the couch on the long left wall with the love seat facing it, its back to the FR, and a chair facing the patio, about where it says "13.5".

Last option, extend the drywall on the left wall up to the first column (across from the wc) and drywall in the kitchen entrance, leaving the 2 diagonal entrances and the foyer entrance. Then you'd have lots more wall space near the center of the room to work with.

Edit, looking at your video... you have just the 2 seating pieces plus tables, I think they'll fit in any of the arrangements suggested, minus suggestions for a chair, depending on the length of the couch.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating