U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-26-2009, 06:18 AM

1 posts, read 3,006 times

Advertisements

I live in a small apartment. It's quite plain of decorations. I have no idea what to put on the walls or tables. Any suggestions?

[URL="http://img408.imageshack.us/my.php?image=91966373.jpg"]http://img408.imageshack.us/img408/693/91966373.jpg[/URL]
[URL="http://img16.imageshack.us/my.php?image=71293444.jpg"]http://img16.imageshack.us/img16/7126/71293444.jpg[/URL]
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2009, 10:23 PM

1,570 posts, read 5,739,393 times
The first photo -
consider painting - rid yourself of the purple wall color. Try something more bright - something buff, slightly mustard if you want more tone - If possible center your black sofa on moreto the left in the photo - or between the loft and the wall (?) to the left. Above the sofa hang a large painting, or tapestry type of wall hanging. Go large scale - approx the width of the sofa and to the ceiling if possible. Under the loft - on the wall above your table - consider a large beveled mirror. A mirror will reflect light and help it from getting too dark.

for the second photo - I'm not sure exactly what we are looking at. But again, I'd suggest a mirror.
a framed mirror - horizontal - approximately the height of the middle section of the wood paneling and about the length of the furniture piece below. The frame of the mirror could be black to match the sofa. As for the clock - get rid of it, if you can. If you need it - paint the frame black and center it in the painted area above the paneling (same area it is now but - dead center in that rectangle.

Hope this helps!

Old 04-27-2009, 10:23 AM

8,545 posts, read 9,918,338 times
Or get a BIG decorator clock there, something that pops..

Old 04-27-2009, 04:13 PM

5,019 posts, read 13,558,662 times
Cute!!! place.

I agree, get rid of the lavender.

For inspiration spend some time @ Apartment Therapy

Also, if you do not already receive them, request catalogs (better than on-line) from DWR, IKEA and CB2. All have some really great ideas.

Wall stencils and appliques are hot again, but I think you need to go bigger and bolder.

Another way to fill the space is with Art (duh). You can buy not-so-expensive art at local art fairs and schools.

OR, if you are a DIY type, make your own. You can buy pre-stretched canvas and either slap some paint on that bad boy, or cover it with fabric of your choosing. If you can't afford a large canvas, consider buying 9 or 12 smaller canvases and creating a " triptych".

Old 04-27-2009, 04:37 PM

795 posts, read 2,204,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanillapill View Post
I live in a small apartment. It's quite plain of decorations. I have no idea what to put on the walls or tables. Any suggestions?

First - get a camera that takes vertical pictures. Brother Lester Sumrall recommends verses on the wall from the Bible.
Pro 10:12 Hatred stirs up trouble; love overlooks the wrongs that others do.
Pro 10:13 If you have good sense, it will show when you speak. But if you are stupid, you will be beaten with a stick.

Old 04-28-2009, 12:09 AM

128 posts, read 1,045,097 times
if you need a quick fix than invest in some paintings or photo frames for your walls. otherwise there is lot of other options too.

Mod Cut... Advertising

Last edited by Ultrarunner; 05-04-2009 at 04:05 PM..

Old 05-05-2009, 10:49 AM

16,066 posts, read 59,757,469 times
By the look of the door handles, light switches, and the fact that there is no balisters on the stairs- I'd say that is place is not in the U.S., correct?
Anyway, with modern furnishings of light colored woods, or pickled woods and not a lot of wall "art" (which is OK)- Paint the walls a crisp white, bring in color with throw pillows, area rugs and one or two significant pieces of wall "art".
Try a minimalist approach, clean hues, crisp lines, and bold punches of a single color.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating