U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-01-2009, 04:32 PM

11,449 posts, read 15,352,588 times

Advertisements

Anyone have experience with rented carpet cleaner machines?

I have a living room room that is filthy! It's a medium gray color, but has so many dark spots and looks terrible. No grease or oil, just ordinary wear. I've cleaned some patches with pine cleaner using a stiff bristle brush. For about 3 weeks the carpet looks clean, but then the spots return. I guess the only way I'll get it clean is to rent a carpet cleaner which sucks up the dirty water. I don't expect to restore the carpet, just to get it much cleaner than it is.
Has anyone tried one of these before? Do they really work? Will I need some special cleaning solvents? My local grocery store rents such machines at $35 per 24 hour period. Do you think it's worth it?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2009, 04:39 PM

1,149 posts, read 4,035,693 times
My in-laws do this every six months. Their carpet is 24 years old and looks almost brand new - it definitely helped with the upkeep.

However, I read somewhere that if those stains are due to stuff that has gotten through to the padding, you might be "restaining" the carpet by pulling that dirty water up through the fibers. I mean, if you are considering replacing it, it might be worth a shot..

Old 05-01-2009, 08:09 PM

169 posts, read 1,450,248 times
We rented Rug Doctor before we moved in. The carpet didn't have any stain and it was like new. It collected so much of dust when we were remodeling the home that we decided to rent this steam cleaning machine. If you go to the place like Home Depot or local grocery store where they have this units to rent out, they will recommend you the products. I bought the soap + anti foam. I have no idea how that thing works because my cleaning lady used it. I told her to run the machine one more time without soap to squeeze out water to reduce drying time.

There are some threads in this forum which will give you more idea about how to operate it and how to avoid some common mistakes.

Old 05-04-2009, 09:35 PM

517 posts, read 2,391,526 times
I used one from the supermarket and one from home depot. I thought the one from the supermarket worked better. The one from home depot sprayed too much water and didn't have as much suction. But that could've just been a problem with that one machine.

Old 05-04-2009, 11:16 PM

1,570 posts, read 5,701,994 times
I agree with Trusam - Rug Dr. does a great job. However, I actually hurt my back getting the thing out of my car - it's heavy -- be very careful. However, if you can move thing thing - it works great. Good tip - to run over carpet after you have cleaned it to get the excess water out. The Rug DR. works great to extract water.

Old 05-05-2009, 03:51 PM

21,347 posts, read 7,989,951 times
I like to do my carpeted rooms about twice a year. Rug Doctor has a new soap available now that has Oxy-Clean in it. Use this with hot water in the machine and the carpets come out like they're brand new!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating