Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2009, 06:52 PM

4,344 posts, read 5,785,279 times

Advertisements

I am so tired of my bathroom in our new place already and cant even think of a single thing to do. I've even looked around to see if I could find some art work of some sort to base it off of. Nothing is out of the question. One thing that I do think would look good is some crown molding.
This is from the master bedroom:

This is the window above the tub.

This is from corner of the room.

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2009, 03:37 PM

4,156 posts, read 10,995,626 times
My immediate thought was to get rid of that 80's builder grade "backstage at the playhouse" lighting strip above the sink. I think that would help with the coloring in there and start the ball rolling for you.
And I think you are totally right about the crown moulding idea.
What kind of budget are you working with?

there's some nice lighting for sale at Restoration Hardware, for instance...

Last edited by bellalunatic; 05-13-2009 at 03:56 PM..

Old 05-13-2009, 03:50 PM

523 posts, read 1,677,032 times
I love the window! A change of lighting and the addition of moulding would do wonders.

Old 05-14-2009, 06:14 PM

4,344 posts, read 5,785,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellalunatic View Post
My immediate thought was to get rid of that 80's builder grade "backstage at the playhouse" lighting strip above the sink. I think that would help with the coloring in there and start the ball rolling for you.
And I think you are totally right about the crown moulding idea.
What kind of budget are you working with?

there's some nice lighting for sale at Restoration Hardware, for instance...
I have been avoiding lighting for so long in everywhere we have lived for the past 5 years, I didnt even think of the light. Thank you!

Budget wise, I would like to stay under 600 for everything (towels, rugs, artwork, paint, molding, everything). I know its a bit to play with, but the last time I had a bathroom to do anything to was almost 7 hours ago.
Nancy- I love the window too. Its one of the things that sold us on the house.

Old 05-15-2009, 07:52 PM

1,830 posts, read 5,341,534 times
I'd frame the mirror, or replace it with a framed one, and put a large piece of art on the wall the tp holder is on.... so your eye goes to the art as you enter the room. Take a look at art.com. You'll find something there, and you can frame and mat it to coordinate with your colors.

Old 05-18-2009, 07:45 AM

41,894 posts, read 74,952,198 times
How about some color? Pick a favorite and run with it -- everything else is so neutral that whatever color you choose should look great.

Love that window, btw ...

Old 05-18-2009, 09:44 AM

43,011 posts, read 107,839,661 times
In addition to changing the lighting, I'd change the mirror.

Instead of one mirror, I'd opt for two mirrors with sconzes on each side of both.

I'd also consider replacing the faucets.

Later down the road, you can buy an updated shower door.

Put your $600 into permanent changes, not simply carpet.

You can always buy pictures, carpet and such.

Put your money into something that will dramatically change your bathroom.

btw, I like the burnt red paint swatch you have taped to the wall. I'd paint the walls that color and the trim the swatch below it.

More than anything, you really need to change the mirror and lights.

Old 05-18-2009, 02:08 PM

12,054 posts, read 23,298,753 times
I agree with all of the above. As for the moulding, we put plastic moulding that is decorative in our powder room and it looks fabulous. You probably have the high ceilings like we do, so no one will know that it really isn't wood if that is important to you. There is no upkeep and it looks nice. We have wood moulding in our LR/DR and it is nice, but it is very plain. If you don't want to invest in new mirrors at this time, you can put framing around the one that you have. Last night on HGTV, they had a show on staging your home and it addressed most of your concerns.

Old 05-18-2009, 02:48 PM

1,570 posts, read 5,978,072 times
To me the window has a Victoria motif. I'd play with that!

Old 05-18-2009, 07:45 PM

2,505 posts, read 6,141,960 times
Okay...I think the bathroom needs some color, but not too sure what to suggest. Maybe a chair rail with wallpaper on the bottom, and a coordinating paint color on the upper part...and the crown moulding. Then place a large painting on the wall next to the toilet. Have towels that pick another complimenting color out of the wallpaper. I would keep the colors light for the wallpaper and paint, and use bold accent colors in the towels, and bathrug. Also, I agree with trying out a new light over the sink. Your bathroom looks nice and clean, and the window is great.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating