U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-12-2009, 11:56 PM
atr atr started this thread

26 posts, read 97,439 times

Advertisements

Finally got moved in last week.

The place we got has a nice patio area with a decent sized overhang.

I've got an extra dining table set, made of oak, and i was thinking of keeping it outside in the patio area.

Its got a light varnish on it currently but was wondering what was the best way to protect this kind of furniture in the Vegas heat?

Outdoor varnish, enamel paint, stain?

Never done anything like this before, but don't mind experimenting with this table set.

Thanks for any advice!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2009, 12:09 AM

12,686 posts, read 32,391,223 times
They sell an orange oil product for oak furniture at the stores that specialize in oak. But don't expect it to last long outside even if you oil it frequently. It's not only the heat, which we don't have in wintertime. It's the wind and lack of humidity. Also, you'll find out just how dirty our air is with all the wind, as outdoor furniture gets coated with a layer of dirt within 24 hours of cleaning.

Old 05-13-2009, 12:48 AM

444 posts, read 1,469,394 times
I can't see how oil would work on top of a light coat of varnish.

I would sand it and polyeurathane it 5 or 6 times while resanding with a fine steel wool between coats.

Probably best to go to www.formbys.com

Old 05-13-2009, 02:00 AM
atr atr started this thread

26 posts, read 97,439 times
Actually, I was thinking of just applying some sort of clear (with UV) finish on the set like a Minwax ClearShield.

Don't know if this would be enough though.

Old 05-13-2009, 04:23 PM

5,284 posts, read 18,203,749 times
Sun and moisture will eventually degrate any wood surface regardless of stain, varnish, paint, etc. If you live where it is either dry or humid, expect your wood to expand, shrink, crack, even mold. If you are determined to keep wood outside, I'd strip the table and put Marine varnish on it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating