U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2009, 09:54 AM

381 posts, read 824,953 times

Advertisements

Are there any differences in the various brands of quartz countertops? Is anyone particularly better than the others?

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2009, 11:26 AM

10,427 posts, read 29,611,491 times
Well the best known brand of quartz is Silestone. Quartz is harder then granite, comes in more colors, is more color consistant, does not need to be sealed like granite, it is more dense so less porus then granite making it completely food safe unlike granite, you can even purchase switch plates, knobs and handles, towel racks and other accys that match your quartz countertop. Cant do that with granite. Quartz is man made. Granite is a natural product.

Cost is more then granite.

Now granite has come way way way down in price lately. My showroom sells granite now for $29 sf and there are cheaper places then us. We only offer it a convenience to our customers who come in to buy cabinets. So far I have not seen quartz come down in price as quickly as granite but quartz is not very popular in my area.....yet.

Hope that helps.....

Old 05-25-2009, 11:31 AM

4,153 posts, read 6,630,421 times
There's also Zodiaq quartz as well as Silestone.

Old 05-25-2009, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellalunatic View Post
There's also Zodiaq quartz as well as Silestone.
Yes you are right. I should have mentioned other brands too but everyone thinks of Silestone first.

You also have the Zodiaq as Bella said, then there is the old stand by DuPont which is more famous for its SS (solid surface), Okite, Hanstone and even Formica has a quartz product they cal Crystallite.

Old 05-26-2009, 01:14 AM

1,652 posts, read 4,905,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
Well the best known brand of quartz is Silestone. Quartz is harder then granite, comes in more colors, is more color consistant, does not need to be sealed like granite, it is more dense so less porus then granite making it completely food safe unlike granite, you can even purchase switch plates, knobs and handles, towel racks and other accys that match your quartz countertop. Cant do that with granite. Quartz is man made. Granite is a natural product.

Cost is more then granite.

Now granite has come way way way down in price lately. My showroom sells granite now for $29 sf and there are cheaper places then us. We only offer it a convenience to our customers who come in to buy cabinets. So far I have not seen quartz come down in price as quickly as granite but quartz is not very popular in my area.....yet.

Hope that helps.....

But the granite that is going for $29 a sf, is the stuff that EVERYONE has. Wouldn't you agree? The good stuff is still very much expensive.

If I were going to get quartz, it would be either SileStone or Cambria. Cambria has some really beautiful colors, but SileStone has the antimicrobiomial agents built in, which I really like.

Old 05-26-2009, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pennquaker09 View Post
But the granite that is going for $29 a sf, is the stuff that EVERYONE has. Wouldn't you agree? The good stuff is still very much expensive.

If I were going to get quartz, it would be either SileStone or Cambria. Cambria has some really beautiful colors, but SileStone has the antimicrobiomial agents built in, which I really like.
Yes I agree. I just said it that way on line here. If you walked into my store and ask how much granite is I will say it starts at $29 sf and these 10 samples are what you get to pick from. I have another box of premium color samples which total 6 and the price goes to $35 sf. We dont have anything more expensive then that.

I cant say what most people do. Some just pick from the lessor cost granite which by the way are all standard colors that everyone carries. Some people feel the measly $5 sf extra comes to such a tiny portion of the total project that they just spring for it.

What makes a granite color premium? I dont know. It's all the same rock. But the premium colors are extraordinary in it's natural form. I guess the best way to explain it is on a cow there is a good cut of meat and a lousy cut of meat. When they cut rock from the earth, some will have boring colors and some will have pretty colors.

Old 05-26-2009, 11:14 PM

Well, I know there are some varieties that are quarried here in the United States. For example, I know it is big in Georgia. And then, some of the most expensive, exotic varieties are imported.

Old 05-27-2009, 12:53 PM

2,417 posts, read 3,115,085 times
I think Caesarstone is the best. I tend to like softer textures, not so granulated, and Caesarstone has more color choices that are softer. Very consistent and high quality product.

I my neck of the woods quartz is becoming the choice in countertops, especially in higher-end homes.

Old 05-27-2009, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pennquaker09 View Post
Well, I know there are some varieties that are quarried here in the United States. For example, I know it is big in Georgia. And then, some of the most expensive, exotic varieties are imported.
You are right again. But why is that? Why is it that all the most expensive exotic varieties all come from some place else. Why dont we have anything exotic that they all want? Just a twisted point of view from a logical Capricorn.

Old 05-27-2009, 06:20 PM

I think it's simply a supply and demand kind of thing. It's much more expensive to import a rare color of granite. And the more we have of one color, the cheaper it will be. Like, the St. Cecilia, Absolute Black, Uba Tuba, and New Venetian gold. They are a dime a dozen and it's sort of become a "standard high end prototype." People think it's stylish to get cherry cabinets and slap some granite on them and call it day. But they don't actually put any thought into it. That's why I love ALL different colors of cabinets and I am a huge fan of designing for the specific home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating