Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2008, 10:13 AM

883 posts, read 3,718,456 times

Advertisements

Also, if you have used textured paint, are you happy with the results? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2008, 10:16 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,571,506 times
I bought some stuff at Lowe's to mix with paint that basically looked like sand. After I painted with it I hated it. It gave the walls a sandpaper feel and made them impossible to clean. I ended up sanding every bit of it back off. I do have a friend who creates texture by mixing drywall mud with water and rolling it on the walls. It looks good as long as it's not mixed too thick.

Old 03-02-2008, 10:05 AM

4,176 posts, read 10,683,581 times
I used a crackling paint texture. You paint a dark color, then the crackling component, then a light color. As the paint and crackling dry, the lighter color cracks and exposes the darker under color, rather like old painted wood. I wouldn't do a whole wall in it, but when I redid my bathroom I did all of the towel racks, TP holder, and vanity in it. I was doing a beachy bathroom (I made a tile picture of dolphins leaping, surrounded it with 'bubbly' looking blue tile, and used the sanded grout with inserted seashells for the wall and the floor tile). The 'driftwood' crackled towel racks and vanity really made it look like it was right on the beach!

A friend of mine bought a nightclub and we used the thickener wall texture to have raised designs on a few of the walls, and then painted them. It actually made the walls seem further away!

I think texturized accents are good and add interest, but should not be used all over a room, unless you are going for a specific look or theme.

Old 03-03-2008, 06:25 AM

604 posts, read 4,620,598 times
I too bought the stuff you mix in with the paint to give it texture. it was horrible looking. We had to cover patches in drywall and I thought it would cover it better.
Someone bought the house though.

Old 08-29-2008, 08:24 PM

7 posts, read 93,525 times
Default Valspar smooth textured paint at Lowes

I am using Valspar smooth textured paint available at Lowes. You trowel it on like venetian plaster, but it is a much easier one-step process. You do not have to prime first, and it covers the imperfections in my old walls with no muss no fuss. It looks great. It is precolored right in the texture so you do not have to paint afterwards, but is only available in a 12 or so colors, mostly light neutral colors. I started just doing it in my guest bathroom, and now I am doing the whole house.

Old 08-30-2008, 06:20 AM

1,007 posts, read 5,662,411 times
I have also used the sand mixture as another poster mentioned. I like it personally, but it took a lot more paint/mixture than what the directions say .As another poster said, it is hard to clean, but you are supposed to seal it once you are finished. I also used a stucco like finish that I liked very much. It does take more time and it is not for everyone. One of the reasons why I used these type of applications was because I had wallpaper that would not come off. I wanted to paint over it without having seams showing and I didn't want to spackle over the seems either. It works great, just have to decide if you like the look or not and play around with it until you get your desired look.

I have also used a shimmer paint that I think Home Depot has. Very hard to work with imo. I did one room, but you only notice the shimmer at night when the light is bouncing on the walls. You can see every roll stroke/brush stroke. I have tried repeatedly to fix, but I'm a bit tired of re-doing it. I like the effect, just can't get it right. I'm sure I'll try it again.

Old 08-30-2008, 11:01 AM

4,053 posts, read 8,251,417 times
Default Valspar line

Quote:
Originally Posted by txlegalpro View Post
I am using Valspar smooth textured paint available at Lowes. You trowel it on like venetian plaster, but it is a much easier one-step process. You do not have to prime first, and it covers the imperfections in my old walls with no muss no fuss. It looks great. It is precolored right in the texture so you do not have to paint afterwards, but is only available in a 12 or so colors, mostly light neutral colors. I started just doing it in my guest bathroom, and now I am doing the whole house.
I did my bathroom in the valspar venitian plaster. It looks great and the pearl in the paint reflects the light. I love it! Valspar has a lot of these paints in their line.

Old 08-30-2008, 11:09 AM

7,136 posts, read 12,668,915 times
In our former house, the ceiling of my son's room was cracked and sagging and I used textured paint to repair it. It worked great!

Old 08-30-2008, 08:49 PM

50,340 posts, read 63,906,560 times
I've used Ralph Lauren paint with a sandy texture. It looks kind of velvety on the wall. Be sure to follow the instructions. You must use a their sponge roller, and you need to paint continuously around the room instead of going around the trim first.

Old 09-01-2008, 06:46 PM

4,344 posts, read 5,795,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txlegalpro View Post
We stripped wallpaper in the house that we owned and the wallpaper tore the hall walls up. We used the same product and did a knock down texture. It turned out beautifuly. Even though there are only a few colors that it comes in, you can paint over it with no problems.
Click image for larger version

Name:	old house.jpg
Views:	73205
Size:	85.1 KB
ID:	26539
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating