U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-17-2009, 06:57 AM

596 posts, read 2,381,442 times

Advertisements

Has anyone done this, and what are the pros and cons of it? What if the paper starts to peel up as time goes on - can it still be removed or is it incredibly difficult? Are you bound to just gluing down seems for years to come if it peels up? I dont want "tacky" or unsightly, but someone has recommended this to me and I wanted to ask your opinions. Thanks.
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2009, 07:00 AM

128 posts, read 531,289 times
Don't! You'll be sorry!

Old 06-17-2009, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbbet View Post
Don't! You'll be sorry!
Have you done it? Why do you say dont do it and I'll be sorry? Thanks.

Old 06-17-2009, 07:10 AM

14,928 posts, read 20,756,375 times
You can paint over wallpaper, but its well worth the extra time to get it off and be done with it. My daughter painted over hers in her kitchen only to have to back a year later and peel and re-paint.

Old 06-17-2009, 07:11 AM

1,149 posts, read 3,563,811 times
Has anyone done this, and what are the pros and cons of it?

I've seen the results of it, and it's always been lousy. The only pro is you "save time" by not removing the paper - but you will end up spending it 10x over in the future when it starts peeling, and you have to spend the time to take it down (yes, it takes much longer to take down painted wallpaper), and then fix the walls and then paint.

What if the paper starts to peel up as time goes on - can it still be removed or is it incredibly difficult?

It becomes much more difficult to remove once it is painted. A friend of mine had to take some painted paper down, and gouged her walls in the process.

Are you bound to just gluing down seems for years to come if it peels up?

Once it starts peeling, you have the problem you state below...

I dont want "tacky" or unsightly, but someone has recommended this to me and I wanted to ask your opinions.

You're better off removing the wallpaper. I have half a house of wallpaper that will be taken off starting this weekend (I hope, if the closing actually happens on Friday). I've always been taught to do things the right way, and that means removing wallpaper before painting.

Old 06-17-2009, 07:30 AM

1,570 posts, read 4,879,616 times
I've done it. A couple of things to remember - you will get what you paint! Seams will show, any texture will show. Unless you are doing some type of faux painting, you won't have a pattern to hide any flaws.

I painted an old wall paper that was foil background and a "velvet" raised texture. It was very cool in the 70s! It took several coats of paint since the velvet was like a sponge and the foil resisted coverage. But it worked. In that case the velevet was the new texture - it looked good. Certainly better than the old wallpaper.

Several years later I did remove the wall paper and it was fine. I used hot water in a spray bottle (I never use the store bought stuff). The wall paper came down fine. It was more stiff due to the layers of paint - but no more trouble to remove.
Hope this helps.

Old 06-17-2009, 07:31 AM

10,425 posts, read 41,453,289 times
You can not do it. That dont mean people dont. You can paint your windows, your carpeting, your grass, sidewalks and your roof but that dont make it right.

Just by soaking wall paper with wet paint will cause it to peel and bubble within 10 minutes. So why not take the time to do it right and just use a sponge to wet the paper, then as it peels, you grab all the loose ends and peel away. Im exaggerating a little bit. In many cases there will be places that require a scraper and/or a steamer to remove it.

Dont paint it or you will make twice the work for yourself.

Old 06-17-2009, 11:59 AM

Thank you all so much for these excellent replies and advice. There is no way I will do it given these answers - there are too many (if not ALL) who have said to do it right from the start. That is the best way to go and thats what I'll do. Thank you!

Old 06-17-2009, 02:45 PM

5,288 posts, read 16,605,301 times
Some wallpaper does not come off without taking the drywall with it. When we moved into our home 10 months ago, I was assured the blue and pink large flowered wallpaper in our large dining room would come off - we bought several products, including DIF - we soaked with warm water and vinegar - we bought another product that the paint store owner advised us to buy - nothing worked and we did lots of damage to the drywall....fortunately we only did one section of the wall - all the wallpaper is above the chair rail.

We got a reference for an experienced wallpaper hanger - when he saw our walls, he started laughing - told us that none of the homes in our area had wallpaper that could be removed without damage. He had repapered many of those homes. He repaired the drywall and re-wallpapered with a beautiful neutral paper that we actually love.

If wallpaper is tightly adhered, the seams can be sanded and mudded slightly and sanded and then primed and painted and it looks fine - when we had the interior of our house painted, the painter said that most of our painted walls had wallpaper under them - you really can't tell.

I've also worked in two large historic house museums - both had painted wallpaper in several of the elegant rooms - people have painted over wallpaper for over 100 years.

Old 06-17-2009, 02:49 PM

2,940 posts, read 11,454,847 times
Cattknap is quite right. Mind you, most of us are not aware of some of the tricks of the trade. I was one of them. You learn as you go along.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating