Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-06-2009, 10:38 AM

226 posts, read 926,061 times

Advertisements

All,

I am in the process of adding cabinets to my nook area which is right off from my kitchen. My nook is big enough to add cabinets along a wall that is adjacent to the kitchen but seperated by an arch.

Should I keep the same style and color of the kitchen cabinets and extend them out to the nook? Or would it be ok to pick a similar style cabinet but a different color which would match my nook table and chairs?

My kitchen cabinets are builder grade made by Quality Cabinet. The cabinets are a maple raised panel 42" butterscotch color. I have granite counters in the kitchen.

In the nook I plan on using solid birch wood stained to match the nook table - Ikea. I will get my carpenter to add a bullnose to the birch countertop to match the bullnose on the granite in the kitchen.

If I go with the same cabinet in my kitchen, I think it would look odd to have differant counter in the nook - birch vs granite. I am leaning towards another color cabinet but similar style to what I already have in the kitchen.

Your thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2009, 11:13 AM

10,447 posts, read 49,653,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe123456 View Post
All,

I am in the process of adding cabinets to my nook area which is right off from my kitchen. My nook is big enough to add cabinets along a wall that is adjacent to the kitchen but seperated by an arch.

Should I keep the same style and color of the kitchen cabinets and extend them out to the nook? Or would it be ok to pick a similar style cabinet but a different color which would match my nook table and chairs?

My kitchen cabinets are builder grade made by Quality Cabinet. The cabinets are a maple raised panel 42" butterscotch color. I have granite counters in the kitchen.

In the nook I plan on using solid birch wood stained to match the nook table - Ikea. I will get my carpenter to add a bullnose to the birch countertop to match the bullnose on the granite in the kitchen.

If I go with the same cabinet in my kitchen, I think it would look odd to have differant counter in the nook - birch vs granite. I am leaning towards another color cabinet but similar style to what I already have in the kitchen.

Your thoughts?
Sounds like you have the upper end of Quality Cabinet brand. Probably the butterscotch vanila praline mocha? This will be the Designer series. I hate the way Quality does drawers but wont go into that now.

Well you have a modern cabinet which is still being produced so first thing I advise is to stick with the same in that nook. Only problem is be aware that wood darkens with age and if your kitchen is a year old and you put the identical cabinet in the nook now then you will see the difference in color. But dont worry. Once wood gets to a certian degree of age it will stay there. Meaning your new cabinet will soon catch up to the old cabinet in color, probably in 3 to 6 months.

Ii highly advise to stick with the identical cabinet if the nook is close and can be seen from standing in one place. The only time I advise a different color cabinet is an island or sometimes pulling out the micro cab and changing that color or even changing color of the crown and under cab molding.

I'm not sure what you mean by solid wood birch by IKEA. Nothing IKEA makes is wood. Do you mean for shelving in addition to cabinets? I dont think I like putting any other color with your butterscotch. Some colors yes but not that one. Keep the same cabinet. If you want to do a different top then make the nook a butcher block one or even matching wood to match the cabinets. I very often do that.

Old 07-06-2009, 11:55 AM

226 posts, read 926,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
Sounds like you have the upper end of Quality Cabinet brand. Probably the butterscotch vanila praline mocha? This will be the Designer series. I hate the way Quality does drawers but wont go into that now.

Well you have a modern cabinet which is still being produced so first thing I advise is to stick with the same in that nook. Only problem is be aware that wood darkens with age and if your kitchen is a year old and you put the identical cabinet in the nook now then you will see the difference in color. But dont worry. Once wood gets to a certian degree of age it will stay there. Meaning your new cabinet will soon catch up to the old cabinet in color, probably in 3 to 6 months.

Ii highly advise to stick with the identical cabinet if the nook is close and can be seen from standing in one place. The only time I advise a different color cabinet is an island or sometimes pulling out the micro cab and changing that color or even changing color of the crown and under cab molding.

I'm not sure what you mean by solid wood birch by IKEA. Nothing IKEA makes is wood. Do you mean for shelving in addition to cabinets? I dont think I like putting any other color with your butterscotch. Some colors yes but not that one. Keep the same cabinet. If you want to do a different top then make the nook a butcher block one or even matching wood to match the cabinets. I very often do that.
1. I don't have the designer style cabinet, just whatever is below that in the standard butterscotch heritage maple raised panel style.

2. That's what I was thinking keep the same color, but I wanted a little more freedom to choose another cabinet manufacturer. I guess its probably best to use the KISS principle.

My floor plan is very open. In fact a little too open between the nook and family room. I only have change in flooring to delineate the nook from family room - tile to bamboo. I am going to have an arch made with 8" PVC columns sized to the 9ft ceiling space. This will give the area more definition. But the nook cabinets will still be very visible from both the kitchen and family room.

I will add a little style by making the upper cabinets in the nook with glass doors. My cabinets in the kitchen are plain raised panel no glass.

3. Ikea countertop solid wood IKEA | Countertops & wall panels | Countertops | NUMERÄR | Countertop (http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/60057852 - broken link)

It looks like this would make for a great counter. However if I go with the same style cabinet as in the kitchen, then it would also make sense to carry the granite from the kitchen to the nook. Butcher block is pretty expensive, and I figured maybe solid wood counter with polyurethane coat would look just as good. I don't plan on cutting anything on it.

The cabinets in the nook will be used for extra storage and for looks. Cabinets will give the nook a built in look.

4. Granite or Ikea top? The granite I have is black with some natural redish color - copper antique. Home Depot Stonemark granite permanately sealed. This same granite is used for see through arches that are between the formal dining room and family room. Again, KISS principle probably plays into this to get the granite for the nook cabinets. Not to mention that the kitchen bar tops are also granite and are connected to the nook.

5. On the topic of granite...supposedly Stonemark granite is sealed at the factory that gives it the same versatility as quartz.

Thoughts on stonemark granite? Is it as versatile as quartz, but retains the natural beauty of granite.

Old 07-06-2009, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe123456 View Post
1. I don't have the designer style cabinet, just whatever is below that in the standard butterscotch heritage maple raised panel style.

2. That's what I was thinking keep the same color, but I wanted a little more freedom to choose another cabinet manufacturer. I guess its probably best to use the KISS principle.

My floor plan is very open. In fact a little too open between the nook and family room. I only have change in flooring to delineate the nook from family room - tile to bamboo. I am going to have an arch made with 8" PVC columns sized to the 9ft ceiling space. This will give the area more definition. But the nook cabinets will still be very visible from both the kitchen and family room.

I will add a little style by making the upper cabinets in the nook with glass doors. My cabinets in the kitchen are plain raised panel no glass.

3. Ikea countertop solid wood IKEA | Countertops & wall panels | Countertops | NUMERÄR | Countertop (http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/60057852 - broken link)

It looks like this would make for a great counter. However if I go with the same style cabinet as in the kitchen, then it would also make sense to carry the granite from the kitchen to the nook. Butcher block is pretty expensive, and I figured maybe solid wood counter with polyurethane coat would look just as good. I don't plan on cutting anything on it.

The cabinets in the nook will be used for extra storage and for looks. Cabinets will give the nook a built in look.

4. Granite or Ikea top? The granite I have is black with some natural redish color - copper antique. Home Depot Stonemark granite permanately sealed. This same granite is used for see through arches that are between the formal dining room and family room. Again, KISS principle probably plays into this to get the granite for the nook cabinets. Not to mention that the kitchen bar tops are also granite and are connected to the nook.

5. On the topic of granite...supposedly Stonemark granite is sealed at the factory that gives it the same versatility as quartz.

Thoughts on stonemark granite? Is it as versatile as quartz, but retains the natural beauty of granite.
Whataya mean the KISS people. Are you in Las Vegas? Or is KISS in Texas too? So KISS is selling Masco products too now huh? They must be starving a slow death like everyone else there. Istavan Kiss will make it through the great depresion of LV.

I am all for the built-in look. Good thinkin there. Yes I also like glass doors. But Quality as well as any Masco product will only carry a clear glass option. What you do is order the cabinet with the doors CFG (cut for glass) then it is up to the consumer to put the glass in. Some glass shops will do all the work if you bring in the door.

If you go with the same cabinet in this nook then keep the same countertop. If you put a different cabinet then make it really different. You dont want people thinking you were trying to match the old but that you did it intentionally. But I would still like the same granite throughout but would be more open to do the butcher block or matching wood here on a different cabinet.

No.. quartz is much stronger and more heavier and food safe, unlike granite. I never heard of any granite being presealed but I might be wrong on that.

I'm not understanding everything else clearly so I hope I covered most of your questions.

Old 07-06-2009, 04:10 PM

43,854 posts, read 51,174,310 times
Quote:
I guess its probably best to use the KISS principle.
It means: Keep It Simple Stupid.

Usually the KISS plan in the best plan unless you have gobs of money to spend.
IKEA has come out with so many great new designs. If you have a store near you, check it out and also keep in mind the summer special sales are going on now. I plan to go this coming weekend.

Old 07-06-2009, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GloryB View Post
It means: Keep It Simple Stupid.

Usually the KISS plan in the best plan unless you have gobs of money to spend.
IKEA has come out with so many great new designs. If you have a store near you, check it out and also keep in mind the summer special sales are going on now. I plan to go this coming weekend.
KISS is also a large cabinet company. I was not aware of that street slang. IKEA is cheap junk Walmart quality cabinets. Given only 2 choices between toxic Chinese or flimsy PB Swiss cabinets I would have to choose the Swiss.

Old 07-06-2009, 08:24 PM

3,969 posts, read 8,500,862 times
I was recently told by a good friend that his employer, one of our local NW Ohio manufacturers makes the boxes for IKEA cabinets right here in the USA. Since he works in design and sales for the company, he has the IKEA design software shortcut on his computer desktop.

Old 07-07-2009, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrtechno View Post
I was recently told by a good friend that his employer, one of our local NW Ohio manufacturers makes the boxes for IKEA cabinets right here in the USA. Since he works in design and sales for the company, he has the IKEA design software shortcut on his computer desktop.
We all have the same design software. IKEA is junk. It's either 20/20, Planit, or Cabinet Vision. That's it. IKEA is made of very soft particle board, looks boxey, only comes in fugly euro design which hopefully will never ever catch on in the USA or I will quit the biz, and they have limited options.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating