Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-12-2009, 01:53 PM

79 posts, read 320,309 times

Advertisements

I was thinking of finishing my basement myself to save money. I wanted to know if you are suppose to complete all the floors first, then put up the walls, or the reverse?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2009, 02:01 PM

43,854 posts, read 51,184,922 times
I live in Florida and have never had a basement. Maybe this link will give you ideas and help:
Finishing a Basement in 6 Planning Stages - DIY Home repair do it yourself house improvement!

Old 07-12-2009, 02:26 PM

1,050 posts, read 3,526,534 times
Think about waterproofing or sealing the entire basement before you do anything. We just had our finished off completely. Our builder said that was the best thing we could have done. We run a dehumidifier and still take out a lot of water and we have air-conditioning.

Old 07-13-2009, 12:25 PM

3,131 posts, read 11,648,036 times
make sure that you go to your municipality for a permit.

Old 07-13-2009, 12:37 PM

5,356 posts, read 18,544,358 times
Walls first. Most every basement I've seen started with walls on a concrete floor, so flooring was put on after the walls.

Old 07-13-2009, 04:19 PM

3,315 posts, read 10,091,820 times
I thought ceilings went up first? There are a couple of really good builders in this forum so maybe more advice will come in. When I finished my basement, we did the ceilings first, then the walls. Flooring was last, even after painting everything.

I didn't bother getting a permit for the basement. I'm not sure it mattered much when selling the house but there was something important: when you get a permit to finish a basement, it gets recorded in the Tax Assessor's Office. Well, you're taxes may go up considering that it's an increase in space. But the basement is now recorded as extra footage for the house. IOW, when my realtor was putting the house on the market, she said that they pull specs from the County and my finished basement was not included in the square footage of the house (since it was never recorded in the Tax Assessor's office). I don't think it mattered too much when selling the house as "Finished Basement" was indeed included in the listing and people who came through saw the finished basement.

Old 07-13-2009, 04:33 PM

1,570 posts, read 5,987,379 times
Don't consider finishing a basement without the required permits and the ability to do so. A basement that is improperly finished can casuse your insurance company to cancel your homeowners insurance. More, it can damage the structure. Depending on the area of the country. For example here a floating wall system is required. If you build studs to the ground - it will damage the upper floors. I've known of homes to be condemned for that very cause.

Old 07-13-2009, 04:40 PM

3,315 posts, read 10,091,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MMichelle View Post
Don't consider finishing a basement without the required permits and the ability to do so.
This is a very good point. The reason I didn't bother to get a permit for my basement was because the builder (it was a new house) had already finished the basement with studs and had already wired the electricity for the light fixtures, the smoke detector, etc. It was a townhouse and the wall with the garage was completely finished, and the wall facing the backyard was also finished (with a vapor barrier not drywall). So we didn't have to do any major construction or wiring.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating