U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2009, 11:10 AM

4,215 posts, read 9,953,093 times
Default Curtains on windows with plantation shutters - fashion faux pas?

We just bought a house where the previous owners literally put plantation shutters in every single window of the house. It looks great and that's one of the things we love about the house but I'm in a decorating dilemma. Plantation shutters are gorgeous on their own and typically don't need curtains to "dress it up" but in my case, should I really ignore curtains completely? We almost definitely want to at least put them in the master bedroom. Hubby works night shifts so there are times when he's sleeping during the day. The shutters do a great job keeping the sun out but light creeps in still. The only time I saw curtains on plantation shutters was in the movie "Taken" with Liam Neeson and even then they were just the valance (I think that's what's it's called ... just the "top" part of the curtain). Advice is welcomed! Thanks!

Last edited by foma; 07-26-2009 at 11:12 AM.. Reason: spelling
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2009, 07:19 PM

10,394 posts, read 8,235,206 times
I have plantation shutters on all my windows and wouldnt dream of adding curtains to any of them. I did add cordless pleated shades to the bedroom windows; they filter out the light but you cant see them when the shutters are closed.

JCPenney department

Old 07-26-2009, 07:42 PM

3,321 posts, read 2,799,272 times
I love plantation shutters but would still want to dress up a few of them. I have faux cream wood blinds on most windows and in the master I have valances with room darkening panels over the blinds. I use mounted decorative tie backs to hold them back when not in use.

Last edited by gold*dust1; 07-26-2009 at 08:38 PM..

Old 07-26-2009, 07:51 PM

10,394 posts, read 8,235,206 times
gold*dust, I agree about dressing up wood blinds. There's something that looks "unfinished" about the exposed tops of blinds. But plantation shutters are different. I actually bought valances to match the bedspreads and then decided not to use them, as the plantation shutters look so "finished" just by themselves.

Old 07-26-2009, 07:57 PM

3,681 posts, read 3,327,761 times
I had white plantation shutters in the master bedroom and added a valance & matching tiebacks that matched my bedspread. Looked great! In other rooms, I had plantation shutters without any curtains. Looked great too! If you think you might like it and it would add to your sleeping comfort, go for it!

Old 07-26-2009, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasfirewheel View Post
gold*dust, I agree about dressing up wood blinds. There's something that looks "unfinished" about the exposed tops of blinds. But plantation shutters are different. I actually bought valances to match the bedspreads and then decided not to use them, as the plantation shutters look so "finished" just by themselves.
I was kinda answering the OP's need for more room darkening as that's what I also needed. Notice she said some light still comes through. She could even just do some room darkening panels with tie backs and forget the valances.

I will take your word for it. I love the shutters but think I would still want to add a little color and fluff to certain windows. Course since I don't have them can't say for sure.

Old 07-26-2009, 10:03 PM

Normally, I think the plantation shutters by itself is beautiful but the only windows in the house that don't have shutters are the front door and the master bathroom. I dunno ... not dressing any of them up just kind of sux. The ones in the master bedroom though, it's almost a must. Mimicking night time during the day is not an easy task!! Thanks everyone for your adivce - much appreciated!

Old 07-26-2009, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maja View Post
I had white plantation shutters in the master bedroom and added a valance & matching tiebacks that matched my bedspread. Looked great! In other rooms, I had plantation shutters without any curtains. Looked great too! If you think you might like it and it would add to your sleeping comfort, go for it!
If it's not too much trouble, can u take a picture of it? No worries if you don't but I'm just having a hard time picturing curtains on the shutters. Ugh, decorating a house is HARD!

Old 07-26-2009, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasfirewheel View Post
I have plantation shutters on all my windows and wouldnt dream of adding curtains to any of them. I did add cordless pleated shades to the bedroom windows; they filter out the light but you cant see them when the shutters are closed.
So you have the pleated shades on the inside of the shutters? Wow, I didn't think of that!! That might actually work!! Does it look weird when you open the shutters though or hardly noticeable?

Old 07-26-2009, 10:11 PM

^^^^ Yep and if you can't find "pretty" enough room darkening panels, Bed Bath and Beyond makes a super room darkening white panel that attaches to the back of any curtain ( instant room darkening...I have them.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating