Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2009, 07:46 AM

5,284 posts, read 20,009,148 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shriba View Post
Hi Cattknap,

My wall color is just a shade darker than the couch, but it's just too dark for the space, and my accents are deep red! I think I'll have to go a shade or two lighter for the walls, and I really like the red I have, so I'll add in maybe one other mid-tone color, like a soft green. I like the idea for glass tables and the low light green plants - thanks for the suggestion for the ZZ plant - easy to grow is good. : ) The floor is oak and the windows are large, starting at about 24" up from the floor, but don't let in a ton of light because we have a screened in patio. Eventually we'll enclose the patio, so that's staying, and one day I'll put in a skylight - for light and architectural interest. right now, I can't live with the dark feel we have! Thanks again for the great suggestions!
I love your colors....now that I understand your room a little better - and using a lighter shade on the wall is probably a good idea - a large mirror on one of the walls might help reflect light also.

I would say that artifical lighting is very important for your room. I have a similar problem - during most of the day our family room does not get a huge amount of light - we have large french doors with side windows but the room is off of a large screened in porch so not tons of light in the morning (afternoon scorching sun comes into that room so I have to draw the drapes from about 3 to 7 pm.)

I have a lamp in the bookshelves, one on the wet bar, lots of recessed lighting and a floor reading lamp.....I use it all sometimes, especially for parties.....all the artificial lighting saves the room - the recessed is the best....

So, some day when you have some extra pennies in the piggy, think about recessed lighting on a dimmer - makes a huge difference.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2009, 03:51 PM

1 posts, read 9,146 times
Default I need ur help???

I need some ideas in choosing colors in a open floor plan (living room, kitchen and dining room all can see from the front door). So, the kitchen is white color with grey/white island. The cabnets are white with black knobs. I have a medium dark pergo floors throughout the townhouse. I have white doors and white trimmings. I don't own the place, Just renting it. I have copplestone couch, sofa, and chair. I have a black dining table. What colors do you think would separate the rooms but bring them together. I was thinking light greens with light taupe but don't know.

Old 10-11-2009, 08:44 PM

2 posts, read 17,837 times
[SIZE=3]I really need some help….I know that I should have started a new thread…and I apologize …but I just can’t figure this out. So please forgive me and allow me to interject here….my sincere apologies.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]Here is my story. I purchased a vacation condo in Thailand that has light colored floors and “built in” cabinets that are also light colored. The interior front door is a little darker. There is some black marble used for the front room mantle. These are all items I can not change. If you wish, you can see a movie of the model unit at: [/SIZE][SIZE=3]http://www.theurbanpattaya.com/virtual_tour/exe/the_urban_b1.exe[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]My unit will look exactly the same except I will be receiving my unit with white walls, no curtains, and no furniture. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]My question is: What color should I paint the walls, and what color sofa should I buy? Also, what color curtain should I get? I tend to like cream colored sofas, but I can go with any color combination if it looks good. Or, should I simply just copy the colors they are using….is there something better? I like a modern European design, with expensive tasteful furniture. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]I would really appreciate your detailed response and I got to do this myself, and I only have 10 days vacation. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]Thank you,[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]Neil[/SIZE]

Old 10-12-2009, 01:33 PM

1,830 posts, read 5,338,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neils View Post

I really need some help….I know that I should have started a new thread…and I apologize …but I just can’t figure this out. So please forgive me and allow me to interject here….my sincere apologies.

Here is my story. I purchased a vacation condo in Thailand that has light colored floors and “built in” cabinets that are also light colored. The interior front door is a little darker. There is some black marble used for the front room mantle. These are all items I can not change. If you wish, you can see a movie of the model unit at:

http://www.theurbanpattaya.com/virtu...e_urban_b1.exe

My unit will look exactly the same except I will be receiving my unit with white walls, no curtains, and no furniture.

My question is: What color should I paint the walls, and what color sofa should I buy? Also, what color curtain should I get? I tend to like cream colored sofas, but I can go with any color combination if it looks good. Or, should I simply just copy the colors they are using….is there something better? I like a modern European design, with expensive tasteful furniture.

I would really appreciate your detailed response and I got to do this myself, and I only have 10 days vacation.

Thank you,
Neil
Just cleaning that up for you so people can read it.

And here's a link to the website gallery, for those who do not want to download the executable file you posted. http://www.theurbanpattaya.com/index2.html
Did you buy plan A or B?

Last edited by hcgCali; 10-12-2009 at 01:53 PM..

Old 10-12-2009, 04:21 PM

2 posts, read 17,837 times
Default I purchased the b1 "the urban b1"

First, that you for cleaning up my post...I hope this posts clean.

I purchased the b1, the two bed room, two bath unit. If you click the previous link at the top left corner, where it says 'Click Here" and has the orange rotating box, it will take you to the main page. At the bottom right you can select 'The urban b1"....that is the same as my unit. I don't like the stringy design that they use (rug, art work, dinning table, lamp stand in second bedroom, toy fire engine, drips on bottles, etc), and I would be change that theme to something else. I like the idea of a clasy Persian rug, where I can use the colors of the rug to select the sofa, wall and curtain color…but I don’t know if I will be able to find something like that.

Anyway, please understand that I know nothing about design or color…so you may have to talk down to me a little.

Thank you for any suggestions…and I will post before and after pictures of any ideas I use

Thank you again,

Neil
[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]

Old 10-13-2009, 08:21 AM

2,118 posts, read 4,158,318 times
I love red !

Old 04-07-2010, 09:29 AM

1 posts, read 7,524 times
I have an open floor plan the kitchen and the family room are side by side the kicthen cabinets are a dark almost cherry wood color the counter tops are a dark green granite. On the side we have the family room with a large tv. stand that goes with the cabinets in the kitchen the and are sectional sofa is a suede beige color.what color would be ok to paint the walls?should I separate the two or combine them?

Old 04-08-2010, 03:54 PM

1,914 posts, read 7,135,553 times
I love both Sherwin Wiliams Latte and Herbal Wash.
Go to their website and check them out. I did my game room in the Latte and I love it! I am planning on doing my bedroom in the Herbal Wash.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating