Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2009, 06:21 PM

17 posts, read 44,282 times

Advertisements

Hello all! I have finally decided to update my aging kitchen. I don't want to do anything too drastic, and I have a pretty limited budget (no more than $10,000). I just want to create a more fresh and updated space. My cabinets have gotten horribly dirty and the white paint has begun to chip off. I was looking to repaint them with a more cream white (maybe antiqued); however a plain white would be fine as well. My backsplash is now rather dated and I would defiantly like to replace it, I was thinking a very natural, light colored stone tile. My floors definitely need refinishing I would like to have a more golden color for them, however then it wouldn’t match the rest of the house. My hardware (drawer pulls, etc.) is a dated brass and I would like to replace them with a more modern stainless steel, but I might not do this because I don't have stainless appliances, and I don’t think it's in my budget to replace them. Also if you guys have any accents that you think would look good, please inform me. Also please by any means if you think any of my choices could be made better please let me know, I am completely open to new ideas, especially from people with much better taste than I. Also please ignore the appearance of my house, clearing the kitchen messed it up a whole lot.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2009, 06:35 PM

Desired end result: http://www.kraftmaid.com/IdeasandIns...en=False&shape=

Desired Stone for backsplash

Old 08-05-2009, 06:43 PM

6,853 posts, read 22,459,078 times
I would get rid of the wall paper border first and re paint. Repaint a Restoration Hardware or Pottery Barn color (you can find at a Benjamin Moore Store). I would change the lights out, they could have some stainless if you like, but they don't need to be as there are other color material out one the market, white, black, etc. Change out the hardware on the cabinets to be stainless to tie in with the lights. And change out the sink faucet, put a nice stainless one in. It doesn't matter that the appliances aren't stainless as they are all white. Can you get a white microwave that fits in the space? Yah you need to update the back splash. They make some really cool glass tiles these days to give it a pop of color against the white cabinets. If you go with the cream stone backsplash that you posted, you need to pint the cabinets a darker color to make the tile pop.

Old 08-05-2009, 07:13 PM

Thanks so much! I greatly appreciate your suggestions; however I was wondering what to do about my sink, should I get another white one, or should I get a stainless one. Also you think I should go for an off white look as seen here:
or stick to plain white.

Old 08-05-2009, 07:25 PM

6,853 posts, read 22,459,078 times
That's really pretty. This back splash is darker than what you showed earlier. This one gives the contrast you will need against the white cabinets. I like the cabinet color too. I probably wouldn't put a stainless steel sink in since the appliances are white. If you want to put a new sink in, maybe one of those cool country sinks I think they are called.

If you at the picture the handles and the lights are the bronze yet they have stainless steel appliances. It just shows that you can mix and match things and still it looks nice.

Old 08-05-2009, 07:40 PM

Yeah I agree. I think i might go with bronze hardware and fixtures, so that when I do replace my appliences, I can have that contrast.

Old 08-06-2009, 09:53 AM

10,447 posts, read 49,658,815 times
I was looking at your other pics in your photobucket album. To hell with your kitchen. Look at those freaking cars. Was that orange one a Pantera? Im guessing that by the collection of Mustangs you keep.

Ok ok back to the kitchen. With a $10,000 budget you can replace all the cabinets, salvage and reuse the granite. With a bit more in your budget you can replace the oven too. The fridge appears to be a sub zero which would blow any budget pushing $6 grand. But since it has door blanks you can just put on new door blanks to match the new kitchen.

I am no fan of painting cabinets. I say you can not paint cabinets. But that dont mean people dont do it. People paint grass, metal, glass, carpeting and so on but that dont make it right. Now lets take color. White is way out of style. Again...that dont mean no one likes it anymore. In the past 10 years, I sold 2 white kitchens that I can remember. Which is less then 1% of total kitchens sold. Past 10 years back we did sell some white. Mostly older people show interest in white. Realtors will tell you that buyers will not even look at a house with white cabinets.

Before all the hate mail comes, let me say that off whites are selling though not great. Most all major cabinet manufactures have discontinued white cabinets. Salmon, bisque, egg shell and variations of it do sell though not well.

I like the style of your kitchen as it is now. Which is good. Meaning keep the tops and replace the cabinets. I also like the hutch and might not change that either. What is that splash of gold on the hutch door? I hope you are not thinking of painting the cabinets gold.

Old 08-07-2009, 06:35 AM

6 posts, read 15,298 times
Really nice kitchen. I like the style of your kitchen

Old 08-07-2009, 07:22 AM

41,957 posts, read 75,192,887 times
Hmmm, I really like that backsplash. The only thing I'd do is ditch the wallpaper border, repaint the walls and cabinets -- I can see they're pretty banged up -- replace the cabinet hardware, and get some new lights for over the island.

Don't worry about chrome or steel hardware not matching your appliances; that doesn't matter and stainless steel fridges et al are a fad anyway. Don't replace what ain't broke.

And does your floor need anything but a good cleaning? Looks good from here.

Old 08-07-2009, 07:25 PM

244 posts, read 1,227,606 times
I think the backsplash is ok. I would definitely get rid of the wallpaper, repaint (maybe a red to go w/backsplash), replace all the cabinet hardware and the gold lights. I think that will make a huge difference for the small amount of money. I like the wood floors. They are very "in" these days. If you plan to stay in the house for awhile, you could even get a little wild and paint maybe the lower cabinets RED? Or you could paint the bottom cabinets black and leave the top ones white...that is also "in" these days. I think the layout of your kitchen is great (I have a galley style and I hate it)! It really doesn't take much to get an updated look if you are on a budget! Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating