Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2009, 10:17 PM

2,325 posts, read 5,508,680 times

Advertisements

I've been looking at houses built in the '60's and 70's and the one thing that drives me crazy is textured walls. It seems like they started doing this in the late '60's or early '70's. Is there any way to get rid of them short of re-doing all of the drywall? My current place was new construction when I bought it so I specified that I wanted smooth walls but I'm starting to think I'll have to stick to pre-1970 construction when buying an existing house.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2009, 02:21 PM

10,447 posts, read 49,653,116 times
I agree I do not like it either. In the north east there is almost no textured drywall. Then back in the 90s I moved south and every new home had it. I asked the Realtor about it and she said textured walls are a sign of a good builder. I said what if it's a sheety builder with a good plaster man.

There is almost no easy way to rid that ugly texture. The reason the builders do it is because the mudding process is one day rather then 5 and may the consumer be damned.

Old 08-30-2009, 02:27 PM

8,652 posts, read 17,238,439 times
It's to hide the imperfections in the taping and floating of sheetrock and nothing more. At least that's what a builder told me..LOL

Old 08-30-2009, 02:38 PM
B4U

3,612 posts, read 8,292,650 times
Texture covers a multitude of sin, and contractors who do a bang up job.
I have textured ceilings and sloooooooowwwwwwwllllllllyyyyyyy, one room at a time am scraping them down and redoing. Even if I wanted to do 1/4" drywall I'd have to scrape them.
I got a scraper on a pole from the flooring section of the BIG BOX and bent it to the angle I need.
It's 12"? I think. And it does gouge ocassionally and I've had to spackle and prime.
These people aught to be shot who do this. Or at least be made to have a lifetime commitment to paint when it needs it. HA! Yeh, right.! What am I smokin'?????

Good luck, w.i.j.g.

Old 08-30-2009, 02:46 PM

681 posts, read 2,359,516 times
I dislike textured drywall as well. The texture makes it difficult to do drywall repair. Owning a home means occasionally having to get behind the wall and believe me, it's tough to get a professionally-repaired finish with textured drywall when you're patching up your work. The best I've done looks pretty good, but still you can tell I did work if you look closely. With smooth walls, I can patch and finish to a point that you can't tell any work had been done.

Old 08-30-2009, 03:31 PM

Hey my friends.....it could be worse. You could all have popcorn ceilings.

Well at least they are easy to scrape off.

Old 08-30-2009, 03:43 PM

4,792 posts, read 5,900,516 times
I love popcorn ceilings, especially with glitter. Textured walls make great backscratchers for those who live alone.

Old 08-30-2009, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peggy Anne View Post
I love popcorn ceilings, especially with glitter. Textured walls make great backscratchers for those who live alone.
That's funny. You know why? Because you are right. I do the same damn thing.

Old 08-30-2009, 09:51 PM

23,416 posts, read 36,993,685 times
Default turn lemons into lemonade!

Here in Florida, home of the house built in 90 days, I finally learned to bring in a faux artist and have her do a Venetian plaster treatment on the walls of houses I am designing...... its the only way I can bear to design yucky new construction California contemporary houses!

Old 08-30-2009, 11:17 PM

162 posts, read 633,299 times
I've been buying and selling houses since 1978 and I've never seen a smooth textured wall, other than one prepped for -ugh- wallpaper. So that's what I think when you say "smooth walls". Double ugh.

I love richly mudded painted walls. And smooth textured ceilings. We had all our ceiling popcorn scraped - this very week, in fact. When I try to imagine our walls matching the smooth ceilings, all that comes to mind it b-o-r-i-n-g.
I love our walls, we've redone most of them over the past 5 years, and the texture IMO is deep and rich and lovely. The best way I can describe it is it's more like a classical plaster, nothing remotely like popcorn.
I'm very confused when folks say "the drywall is textured". Drywall is always smooth. Texture is applied over drywall.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating