Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2009, 11:01 PM
GLS GLS started this thread

1,985 posts, read 5,379,006 times

Advertisements

We are mattress shopping for a King size with good back support. However, the price varies from $700 for a good quality, name brand coil mattress up to $5700 list for a Tempur-pedic with all the bells and whistles. Anybody out there willing to share their rationale for making a choice among the myriad of mattresses and prices?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2009, 11:07 PM

1,212 posts, read 4,910,573 times
I had a tempur pedic twin size that I absolutely loved.. DH couldn't stand the heat it seemed to generate. We had traditional pillow top twin and tempur pedic twin pushed together because I was afraid of spending that kind of money on a "new" mattress so I got traditional... we switched beds. [lol]

When decided that Queen mattress was a must... we could not see paying close to $4000 for a mattress. WE settled on a sears-o-pedic. It is made by Serta and has a memory foam layer. I love that bed. I can sleep on my side and mistakenly end up on my back and no pain the next morning.

Old 09-09-2009, 11:35 PM

6,048 posts, read 18,417,767 times
Be sure you get latex foam. Got a queen about a year ago when daughter was working at a furniture store (employee discount, yeah!). I love it. I like a firm mattress. It can, however, be kinda warm. I layer covers and adjust as necessary.

Old 09-11-2009, 08:59 AM

9,196 posts, read 24,933,782 times
I went with a bed-in-a-box foam mattress after reviewing their website and various reviews. It was about $600 for a queen mattress. We felt like we were taking a bit of a chance on it, but the cost was not outrageous, the reviews were good, and they did have a return or donate policy. We've been pleased with it - it's a very comfortable mattress. A bit firm for my tastes, but I find it way more comfortable than our old innerspring mattress. I have not found the "warmth" problem that some describe with TempurPedic mattresses.

Old 09-11-2009, 01:10 PM

7 posts, read 108,063 times
My wife and I have Tempurpedic knock off, and in my opinion you are better off going with a decent imitation like ours. The Tempurpedic beds are very expensive for what is really just a poured slab of foam. The "overheating" of the bed is noticeable to me in the summer time, but there are foam beds available now with holes in them that give some airflow. People I work with have one and love it.
We got our mattress from healthyfoundations.com. They have a 1 yr return policy, which is a very good deal if you aren't sold on the foam bed idea. We found our bed from them (and many of the other foam beds) to be much too firm for our tastes, because we like a soft bed. We bought a 4" foam mattress topper on Ebay, put it on top of our foam bed, and that has worked for us just fine. It was also less than half the cost of an equivalent Tempurpedic. We've had the bed for about 4 years now, and it still seems about the same to me as it did when it was new.
Foam beds are softer when they are warm, so they bed can be very hard when you first crawl in during a Michigan winter, but the bed softens up from your body heat pretty quickly.

Old 09-11-2009, 01:22 PM

23,416 posts, read 36,989,319 times
I bought a memory foam king mattress online, and I love it! It is identical to a tempurpedic in every way. Remember, you are paying for brand names and advertising.
Do some research, thats what I did, I ended up paying less that $700 for a king!

Old 09-15-2009, 10:15 PM

59 posts, read 302,074 times
Get a tempurpedic cover for your mattress. Just as good as a mattress but a lot cheaper, maybe $200-300. But make sure you have deep pocket sheets because your mattress will be 3 inches thicker.

Worth every penny.

Old 09-16-2009, 04:50 AM

5,284 posts, read 20,045,974 times
Just too warm for me. Maybe in the winter without the furnace being on, LOL...our mattress just seems to envelope us in heat...my husband doesn't mind - I'm unhappy with it.

Old 09-18-2009, 03:06 PM

244 posts, read 1,227,375 times
I also bought a tempurpedic, but got mine on clearance for $1200 because it was on the bed that was the floor model (no biggie to me) Anyway, it's a king size. Before that, we had a pillow top mattress that I thought I loved, but woke up w/horrible back pain every morning. Once, we switched, within 3 weeks my back pain was gone. We have had our mattress for about 5 yrs now and still no back pain and we both still love it. Plus, my hubby moves alot at night and I the mattress doesn't bounce around like most others do. Oh, and the heat thing never really bothered us.

Old 09-20-2009, 07:08 PM

16,177 posts, read 32,486,336 times
I love my TempurPedic sooooooooooooo much! I also bought one for my 20 year old earlier this year. He has back pain from time to time due to his working as an EMT and he has just loved it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating