Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2009, 06:03 PM
B4U

3,612 posts, read 8,263,387 times

Advertisements

Wow, now that eggplant color looks taupe & brown. I sure did like the eggplant.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2009, 06:19 PM

5,019 posts, read 14,080,178 times
I love brown and blue.

It's a bit too dark (the wall color) for my taste, but as others have stated "I don't have to live there".

As far as the manly-man thing goes, the dining room furniture is too light and girly. Especially the filigree etagere.

The print above the LR sofa is too small.

I really like a lot of the other accessories. The throw pillows, the glass globes, and the art-glass piece on the fireplace hearth (hang that on a wall perhaps? ).

Last edited by plaidmom; 09-21-2009 at 06:40 PM..

Old 09-21-2009, 06:32 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,111,483 times
Still not wild about it; it looks almost like a sepia photograph. But it really does not matter what any of us think. The important question is whether you like it. You have to live with it!

Old 09-21-2009, 07:46 PM

354 posts, read 2,069,812 times
I see you related to Mr. Willy Wonka. Too much chocalate on the walls for my taste. With walls that size I would of only painted one in the chocolate. I hope the new decor bring more coziness into the room because it a bit to plain. Maybe go with a different furniture set than the one you buying, something with the blueish color in the fabric with accent pillow that will match the blueish. Another thing maybe go with window scarves in the blueish color your talking about to bring more warmth to the rooms.

Maybe consider changing the dinette set to something of a rough iron and glass. The Dinette set looks like the floor. I wouldn't even go with a dark brown wood for the dining area either, because it may create more of the same in that area. Post new pics when you all done..

Old 09-22-2009, 01:43 PM

31 posts, read 101,537 times
Wow painting those walls was a lot of work, good job!
I think what is most important is that you like it. Forget everyone else!
I really like dark colors on rooms with such high ceilings.
We also put a dark color along the stairs wall cuz I didn't want the focus on the stairs. When we sold our house we painted it all more neutral, as to please others. I really like the color in the room with the french doors and fireplace also.

Old 09-22-2009, 02:00 PM

8,672 posts, read 22,219,336 times
I like it with the blue accents. My only suggestion would be as plaidmom said, about the picture above the couch. Either choose something larger or bring that one down a little IMO. Hope all our "advice" isn't de-moralizing to you! I guess everyone has an opinion. As has been said, on this and other threads here, the main thing is what YOU like. It is your home and you are the one that should design it to your taste!

Old 09-22-2009, 03:32 PM

3,320 posts, read 5,576,048 times
On your second set of pictures, I think if you would have just done one wall as an accent with the eggplant color (maybe behind the couch) it would appear less dark and add the desired interest. Either way it's not terrible and you have the white woodwork, railing and light dining furniture to balance out somewhat. It may look better, less dark, overwhelming in person. Pix can be funny. Nice house.

Old 09-22-2009, 06:15 PM

782 posts, read 3,780,839 times
Thanks for the compliments and suggestions. Someone mention dinette set is too light and matching the floor.

What about an area rug to separate the floor from the dinette set. The color match the accent in the area rug in the living room set.
Living room rug.

So I figure to go solid for the dinette set.The color is pastel blue that I'm going for. I'm thinking this will help pull the two rooms together.

Area rug choice below or leave it bare or maybe a pattern like the other rug?

Attached Thumbnails
Do you like this color scheme?-img00057.jpg  

Old 09-22-2009, 06:28 PM

2,803 posts, read 1,753,369 times
Suggestion: An art work i.e. lithograph, painting on the wall with the
stairway, with the blues of the area rug and pillows, in the art work, to make the room pop?

Old 09-22-2009, 06:50 PM

5,978 posts, read 19,840,528 times
Despite the color splashes provided by the blue pillows, it still seems cold. Perhaps the beige couch is too neutral for the walls. Need something brighter to warm it up, maybe on the walls. The scale of the print/frame behind the couch is too small. Perhaps you can choose a dominant complimentary color on the print (like a large scale floral, maybe like a Georgia O'Keefe) and make it larger, it would balance things out. Also bring the print lower at eye level. At the height where it is at, it draws the eye even higher to already tall ceilings, adding to the "cold" feeling of the room. Not sure what it is, but the colors give a feeling of coolness. In the living/family room where people congregate, it isn't the color scheme I personally would choose.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating