Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-28-2009, 01:47 PM

5,245 posts, read 16,422,203 times

Advertisements

I've got a double window in the dining room that I'd love to get rid of. It's much too low to put in a built in buffet, which is what I'm planning. I'd like to put one of the bay windows in there to let in some light and put some plants on the sill. I'm thinking if I put it at the right height, when I put the buffet in, I can have the granite go across the buffet and along that bay window sill too, as one solid piece. Does that make sense?

Anyway, wondering if anyone has ever installed one of the windows? Where you pop out the existing window, frame the space for the bay, and just put that back in it's place. How difficult is it? Is it something we should look at having done professionally?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2009, 04:10 PM

10,447 posts, read 49,643,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs1885 View Post
I've got a double window in the dining room that I'd love to get rid of. It's much too low to put in a built in buffet, which is what I'm planning. I'd like to put one of the bay windows in there to let in some light and put some plants on the sill. I'm thinking if I put it at the right height, when I put the buffet in, I can have the granite go across the buffet and along that bay window sill too, as one solid piece. Does that make sense?

Anyway, wondering if anyone has ever installed one of the windows? Where you pop out the existing window, frame the space for the bay, and just put that back in it's place. How difficult is it? Is it something we should look at having done professionally?
Yes it makes sense to me. I highly advise hiring a pro. One reason to hire a pro is you have to achieve some proper dimensions to make it all work. First you want the floor of the new bay or bow window to be a finished height of 34.5" off the floor which is a standard cabinet height. This way the granite top will be a smooth run from the face of the cabinet and over the window floor so it's all one table top. That's what it sounds like you want.

My worry for you is many bays and bows will have the window handle at the very bottom and for you to put granite which is from 3/4" to 7/8" thick, the granite and the crank handle could clash. Keep that in mind.

Many people don't know the difference between a bay and a bow. A bow is a big curved bow. A bay is 3 faces consisting of two 22.5 degree angles with the center one being parallel with the wall it sits in.

I don't know what your current window height is but you said it goes low to the floor. It's easy to raise a window from the floor while shrinking it's height because you do not have to disturb the header. If you raise the window and it's top height you will have to do some more serious framing surgery which is why you should hire a pro to discuss your needs with.

Old 09-29-2009, 10:50 AM

5,245 posts, read 16,422,203 times
Ok, thanks! And yes, what you described is exactly what I'm thinking of!

I'm torn on bow vs bay. Guessing a bay would be easier to fit the granite into though.

I wonder if the granite installers - it the handle is an issue - could grind out a scooped area that the handle could sit in and have room for you to slide your hand up under it? So it would look like a big 'bowl' in the granite?

Old 09-29-2009, 11:36 AM

10,447 posts, read 49,643,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs1885 View Post
Ok, thanks! And yes, what you described is exactly what I'm thinking of!

I'm torn on bow vs bay. Guessing a bay would be easier to fit the granite into though.

I wonder if the granite installers - it the handle is an issue - could grind out a scooped area that the handle could sit in and have room for you to slide your hand up under it? So it would look like a big 'bowl' in the granite?
Your idea of scooping out a relief for the handles is a good one. Some one would have to fabricate an extention for that handle though. That might a minor thing. I believe the bay window would be easier for the granite fabricators.

Old 09-30-2009, 09:34 AM

738 posts, read 2,956,082 times
I'd also agree that the granite would be easier with the Bay window as opposed to a Bowed window.

Most will charge an extra fee to do a large radius, I'm sure a curve the size of a bowed window would add a lot to the price of your granite for the project. We were looking at putting a curve on our island bar when doing our counters, it was several hundred dollars to add a shallow curve that ran the length of our island, so we chose to skip it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating