Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-29-2009, 02:00 PM

1,652 posts, read 3,880,587 times

Advertisements

This is a fairly weird question, but bear with me. I live in a mid-rise apartment complex that was constructed in 1968. Apparently, the dining room overhead lighting fixtures in quite a few of the units are being replaced right now, as I'm finding components of the fixtures in the trash room every couple weeks or so. One of the things that's being trashed (per each fixture) is a set of beveled, etched (with a floral pattern), greenish glass panes that each hung from a thin, hooked metal rod that extended from the center of the fixture like a spoke. (Each of the panes has a little hole drilled into it so it can be hung onto the metal rod.) Now, perhaps these aren't worth saving, but something about them appeals to me, aesthetically (plus, they were free ). Any ideas what I could do with these? I was thinking of arranging sets of them on top of small wooden pieces of furniture to be decorative and protective at the same time... Any other ideas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2009, 06:36 PM

5,019 posts, read 14,115,073 times
It would be great if you could post pictures.....but my first thought was "votive candle holders".

Old 09-29-2009, 06:44 PM

10,447 posts, read 49,658,815 times
I agree with plaidmom, first time for everything. One man's junk is another man's treasure. Yes indeed save them. Even if they don't appeal to you then you can sell them. Do not throw them away without thinking it out. You just might come up with a great idea for those glass pieces which I sure would like to see a picture of.

Old 09-29-2009, 10:07 PM

Location: When things get hot they expand. Im not fat. Im hot.
2,520 posts, read 6,327,828 times
Can you hook them together with chains and hang from a curtain rod. Kinda like a portable stainglass window. Or maybe put them in a frame to make a room divider.

Other wild thoughts.

Glue 3 or 4 together to make vase covers. Votive idea would work too.

Expanding on the furniture idea. Paint back black etc and use for a tray. Also could add naked pictures of your cat, etc to back before painting. Some peeps use glass trays to hold makeup or perfumes. Would be a good way to display some klediments.

See above. Glue cork tile to back to make spiffy hot pads. Or to put under your Petunias.

Can you get a few of the rod thingies. Theres always windchimes. Or maybe a Christmas tree. If you get enuf you could add a bunch together to make one of those Chihully lights. http://www.chihuly.com/installations/genre/chandeliers/90.html (broken link)

Old 09-30-2009, 08:12 AM

8,003 posts, read 11,724,506 times
Are they too large to hang from those suction cup hangers you can stick on your window? Don't tease! At least tell us what the measurements are? LOL .....how thick is the glass?

Old 10-02-2009, 07:06 AM

41,957 posts, read 75,192,887 times
I really can't picture what you're talking about, but kudos to you for rescuing perfectly useable items from the trash!

Old 10-05-2009, 05:19 AM

9,480 posts, read 12,115,048 times
picture?

Old 10-15-2009, 03:22 PM

1,652 posts, read 3,880,587 times
Thanks for the suggestions, everyone! If I get time, I'll snap some pics and post them...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating