Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2009, 06:57 PM

737 posts, read 1,648,357 times

Advertisements

This is the kitchen I'm thinking of doing

The granite counter top in Tropic Brown.
Unsure of the color of cabinets but I like that color.(perhaps the color where the light is showing only the other is to dark)

After all this I ain't going to sell going to keep. (can't get financing till Jan. I hope in Jan but with the economy I ain't getting my hopes up to high)

Here is the problem which back splash to choose?
I know I want a mosaic back splash I think ( I would do the back splash as shown in the picture will have to find out the cost on that)

Autumn Gold Slate Quartzite

Jocelyn Gold

Jocelyn Walnut

I fell in love with this counter top but it's 200.00 more which will be to much for me. I love the counter top but not the rest just the granite counter top.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2009, 07:03 PM

1,212 posts, read 4,910,138 times
I like the Autumn Gold Slate Quartzite.

The first picture is like my kitchen. I have Uba Tuba granite and cherry cabinets with black appliances. I want something light but picks up and accentuate the colors of the granite.

thanks for posting picture. I now have idea of what I want.

Old 09-29-2009, 08:50 PM

23,416 posts, read 36,983,411 times
I would go with a larger tile, all those tiny tiles and grout lines can get really busy..... as far as colors go, the first tile sample really works with the granite, it has all kinds of subtle variations and looks more like natural stone.

Old 09-30-2009, 04:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcam213 View Post
I like the Autumn Gold Slate Quartzite.

The first picture is like my kitchen. I have Uba Tuba granite and cherry cabinets with black appliances. I want something light but picks up and accentuate the colors of the granite.

thanks for posting picture. I now have idea of what I want.
I was also thinking Cherry Cabinets. Along with Cherry laminate floors in the dinning/livingroom and hallway's.

How about this for the back splash.

With the traditional 4x4 in a diamond layout. And then the 12x12 in the same color on the Kitchen Floors.

I decided not to do a wood floor kitchen or bath.

I was thinking with this layout I could go silver appliances or the black, white or even the Beige without a problem.

Old 09-30-2009, 06:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starlady01 View Post
I was also thinking Cherry Cabinets. Along with Cherry laminate floors in the dinning/livingroom and hallway's.

How about this for the back splash.

With the traditional 4x4 in a diamond layout. And then the 12x12 in the same color on the Kitchen Floors.

I decided not to do a wood floor kitchen or bath.

I was thinking with this layout I could go silver appliances or the black, white or even the Beige without a problem.

((Correction)) I decided not to do a laminate floor in the kitchen or bath.

Once I have actually picked out the cabinets I will decide the space inbetween the counter top and top cabinets and then choose either 4x4 or 12x12 backsplash either way it will be a diamond design unsure if I will throw in a few smaller peices in the middle part or not.

Was just thinking I could go with the 4x6 or even a 4x12 in the design and still get the same layout as the top picture in the color I've chosen.

Then do a faux of the same colors on one wall in the living/dining combo then painting the rest of the walls in the lighter color of the two colors in the back splash.

Last edited by Starlady01; 09-30-2009 at 07:47 AM..

Old 09-30-2009, 07:04 PM

If I don't get my financing this could be a possiblity or selling with regular counter tops.

But if I get what I want, I want sell.

Just want to add couldn't he of put in different paint colors and made a better design (pattern) you know in smaller batches to top it off. I may have to try it now.

And I think that counter top at the top of page maybe Tropical Brown not Tropic and the top in another picture looks more brown vs black but still real nice. But all granite is different which is why it's hard to pick out back splash before actually seeing which granite I will receive.

Last edited by Starlady01; 09-30-2009 at 07:13 PM..

Old 10-01-2009, 08:39 AM

I just had to share this photo

Check out this concrete countertop

How about one with pebbles inserted. Or is that stones. Pebbles would work also with a poly maybe ask I would.

Also you use a certain cement mix and no buffing or polishing I saw it on Hgtv show. Ask about the color and mixing from your local hardware store.

Old 10-01-2009, 01:54 PM

1,371 posts, read 3,697,131 times
First off, I LOVE your choice in granite. Of course, I am biased as we also have tropic brown. Personally, I love the idea of doing a glass mosaic backsplach with long, thin tiles in caramels, oranges and tans. We only did the 3" granite backsplash, so I don't have a backsplash sample to show you, but that's what we're planning on doing in the future!

I've posted a photo of the kitchen to give an idea of what we've got so far.

Last edited by NickMan7; 10-01-2009 at 03:01 PM..

Old 02-05-2010, 07:50 PM

1 posts, read 12,406 times
I am replacing my countertops with granite. I was told by my granite salesman that I should put a 4-6 inch granite blacksplash then tile to meet my cabinets. Every picture I look at, it shows only tile from the counter top to the cabinets Which is better to tile from a 4 inch granite backsplash or just tile from the countertop to the cabinets I think he is just trying to sell me more granite. or is there a reason for this

Old 02-05-2010, 09:02 PM

17,472 posts, read 66,002,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reta Smith View Post
I think he is just trying to sell me more granite.

You betcha!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating